Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM        MAJOR STRATEGIC VICTORY IN WAR ON TERROR
U.S. General Says Bin Laden 'Out of the Picture'

By Yousuf Azimy

BAGRAM, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A senior U.S. general said on Friday that al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden had "taken himself out of the picture" and that his capture was not essential to winning the "war on terror."

This is actually pretty brilliant when you think about it. With one blythe sentence it's no longer an embarrassment that we can't find the man without whom the 'War on Terror' might well never have begun.

If W. had a little forsight he could have said that we'd get Osama "Dead, Alive, or out of the picture."

How long before someone in the administration does a little think' and declares Sadam Hussein 'out of the picture'.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:23 AM       
Quote:
How long before someone in the administration does a little think' and declares Sadam Hussein 'out of the picture'.
I'll challenge you on this and say that the US gvt wont bother.

Personaly I thnk it would have been better for Al-Qaeda to have turned Osama over, that way alot of people would go "Phew, glad that war on terror is over!", and they would think the war on terror was over. This would have ramificaions on new recruits joining the US army. IE, not as many would join up.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:42 PM       
Max, do you really think people out there will swallow that shit pill? (actually I believe I already know your answer but I am too depressed to even consider it)
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
Max, do you really think people out there will swallow that shit pill? (actually I believe I already know your answer but I am too even consider it)
IF THEY DON'T THEY'RE ANTI-AMERICAN ENEMY COMBATANTS!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM       
Oh, it's not THAT big a shit pill, and besides, the don't mean for you to swallow it. They intend to shove it up your ass.

Concider this. Our Iraq policy has been completely chucked three times now. No one seemd to think Jay Garner getting fired was a major policy change, but He's made it pretty clear he was sent there to make Ahmed Chalabi president, and he got hung out to dry. Bremner had been planning a four to five year transition to Iraqi self rule, with a seven point plan that had to be met. The most solid plank was that the constitution had to be written before we could even begin moving toward a transitional government.

Now? We are suddenly looking at handing Iraq to it's people by June of next year. Now I'm in favor of this last one, don't get me wrong.

But this is three radically different plans for Iraq, and each time the administration has basically said "Oceana was never our ally. We have always been at war with Oceana."

It's a much smaller thing to say Osama is irrellivant. After all, that name hasn't passed our presidents lips in almost a year. And I promise you., if we don't cathcn Sadaam soon, he too will be declared officially irrellivant.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:44 PM       
My question is what will the administration do if another of his tapes comes out? Or will they just try to keep something like that from happening?
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
My question is what will the administration do if another of his tapes comes out? Or will they just try to keep something like that from happening?
They'll just deny its authenticity, I'm sure.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 02:18 PM       
Our elated officials have been pandering to the public for so long that the political praxis of The United States consists of one long exercise in the avoidance of responsibility.

That is to say I'm shocked. Truly shocked.

Caught totally unaware.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:07 PM       
I think that capturing and/or killing Osama would be more of a psychological win than any real victory. It's kind of like that ol' "Jason And The Argonauts" analogy ... cut off the head of the snake and two more heads grow out to take its place. Perhaps their energy and resources are better placed somewhere else yet, at the same time, the statement was a pretty weak "cop out". I'd prefer that the government just be more honest in what motivates their change in strategy... not to the point of risking national security but just in general.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:51 PM       
I think we have a better chance of catching bin Laden than we have of getting the government to be honest about it's motivations.
Mocker

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:31 PM       
True dat!

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:42 PM       
I think we have a better chance of catching Osama cross dressing at a tea party with Franklin Roosevelt than we have of Kelly not saying something completely stupid in every fucking thread.
Mocker

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:50 PM       
Alright, smart guy. If they captured and/or killed Osama today, what would that accomplish? Would the terrorist threat change or go away completely? I hardly think so. There's always a replacement. Always.

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:52 PM       
I didn't say that because I disagree, I said it because I don't like you.
Mocker

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM       
In the habit of agreeing with completely stupid things, are you?!

Legislacerator
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM       
no, I didn't say I agree or disagree. I just said that I don't like you which, coincidentally, is the general attitude of most people on the boards.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:55 PM       
this is such a hot cat fight