Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM        Former Guantanamo prisoner says..."I HAD FUN"
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...08/wguan08.xml

I had a good time at Guantanamo, says inmate
By Rajeev Syal
(Filed: 08/02/2004)

An Afghan boy whose 14-month detention by US authorities as a terrorist suspect in Cuba prompted an outcry from human rights campaigners said yesterday that he enjoyed his time in the camp.

Mohammed Ismail Agha, 15, who until last week was held at the US military base in Guantanamo Bay, said that he was treated very well and particularly enjoyed learning to speak English. His words will disappoint critics of the US policy of detaining "illegal combatants" in south-east Cuba indefinitely and without trial.

In a first interview with any of the three juveniles held by the US at Guantanamo Bay base, Mohammed said: "They gave me a good time in Cuba. They were very nice to me, giving me English lessons."

Mohammed, an unemployed Afghan farmer, found the surroundings in Cuba at first baffling. After he settled in, however, he was left to enjoy stimulating school work, good food and prayer.

"At first I was unhappy . . . For two or three days [after I arrived in Cuba] I was confused but later the Americans were so nice to me. They gave me good food with fruit and water for ablutions and prayer," he said yesterday in Naw Zad, a remote market town in southern Afghanistan close to his home village and 300 miles south-west of Kabul, the capital.

He said that the American soldiers taught him and his fellow child captives - aged 15 and 13 - to write and speak a little English. They supplied them with books in their native Pashto language. When the three boys left last week for Afghanistan, the soldiers looking after them gave them a send-off dinner and urged them to continue their studies.

"They even took photographs of us all together before we left," he said. Mohammed, however, said he would have to disappoint his captors by not returning to his studies. "I am too poor for that. I will have to look for work," he said.

Mohammed said his detention began in November 2002 when he and a friend, both unemployed, left their farming community for Lashkar Gah, a nearby town. He said that as they stood outside a shop they were detained by a group of armed men who accused them of being members of the Taliban, the fundamentalist Islamic movement formerly in power in Afghanistan.

They were then handed over to US soldiers, who took them to the southern city of Kandahar, he claimed. They were taken to Bagram air base, where Mohammed was held in solitary confinement.

"They were asking me if I was Taliban. I said, 'No, I am innocent'. I thought they were going to release me but instead they put me on a plane," he said. "They asked me to wear a hood for part of the journey. When I got off the plane I was in Cuba."

While Mohammed praised the American soldiers who watched over him, he criticised the US authorities for failing to contact his parents for 10 months to let them know that he was alive. "They stole 14 months of my life, and my family's life. I was entirely innocent: just a poor boy looking for work," he said.

Mohammed and his fellow juvenile detainees returned to Afghanistan last week, after the intervention of the International Committee of the Red Cross. His words of praise for the American soldiers in Guantanamo Bay echo those of Faiz Mohammed, an elderly Afghan farmer who was detained at the base for eight months before being released in October 2002.

"They treated us well. We had enough food. I didn't mind [being detained] because they took my old clothes and gave me new clothes," said the farmer, who was partially deaf.

Camp Delta, which superseded the temporary Camp X-Ray, and Camp Iguana, a lower-security detention facility for juveniles, were established as part of President George W Bush's "war on terror".

More than 600 suspected al-Qaeda and Taliban suspects have been held without charge at the barbed-wire camps since December 2001. They include nine Britons and three British residents.

Human rights agencies such as Amnesty International have alleged that the detention of the boys contravened the Geneva Convention, saying the separation from their families amounted to a form of mental torture. One of the boys was just 11 when he was detained.

The US authorities insist that age plays no role in deciding who constitutes a threat. "Age is not a determining factor in detention. We detain enemy combatants who engaged in armed conflict against our forces or provided support to those fighting against us," said a Pentagon spokesman.

Another US government official contradicted Mohammed's claims that he was entirely innocent when detained. The official said last week that one of the three boys had told of being conscripted into an anti-American militia group; a second said that he was abducted by the Taliban and forced to train and fight; while the third was studying in an extremist mosque and captured while preparing to obtain weapons.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM       
Hey, if they're treating him well, that's fine. If they're treating them all well, that's fine. Great. Good for them.

They're still violating the Constitution by denying them Due Process.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:18 PM       
How.....? Are they U.S. citizens?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:22 PM       
Yeah, like all those people who have been rounded up by a military dictator in Pakistan, for being "suspected terrorists."??? I mean, obviously they're not citizens, they don't even live here.

It's much better to just deal with these people in the countries they're caught in, or pen them up in Cuba. I mean, why let the natural born rights of an American citizen entangle the War on Terrorism? Who needs to set any kind of example anyway, huh...?
Will chop you good.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
How.....? Are they U.S. citizens?
Not all of them, but if they are not classified as Prisoners of War while being held captive by the United States, they are entitled to Due Process, whether they are American citizens or not. And that's a fact, Jack.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:09 AM       
Wow, conclusive proof that guantanomo is actually a fun place to be, everything is ok with the world, and the US military are the equivalent of a lovely foster mother, delivering joy and care to all who stay with her.
I am so relieved to find out the world is such a lovely uncontradictory place.
And there was I thinking that these people's human rights were being completely shat on! Silly me.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM       
I bet all the guys that tried to commit suicide are having fun too. When interviewed, most attempted suicides say "I did it becuase I was having fun."

The reason we keep these suckers in Cuba is precisely so we have a legal, though palsied leg, to stand on when denying them due process.

The child who was interviewed was held in totally different conditions.

And if they put him up in the friggin' Hilton, I still think the right to detain someone against their will, not charging them, not giving them access to a court or their name and condition to relatives and a free press and giving no indication at all if they will ever be free again is a very, very, very dangerous power to give a Ruler, especially one of a free country.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM       
A thirteen year old kid was there?????????????

" They include nine Britons and three British residents. "

And two Australians: David Hicks and Mambdou Habib.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:19 PM       
I'm very glad to hear that the soldiers who were just doing their jobs were good to the prisoners, but that doesn't excuse our current administration for putting them into such a fucked up scenario to begin with.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:59 PM       
WOW! Look at this.....

"Not all of them, but if they are not classified as Prisoners of War while being held captive by the United States, they are entitled to Due Process, whether they are American citizens or not. And that's a fact, Jack." - spad

Really? Look at this!!!

"The reason we keep these suckers in Cuba is precisely so we have a legal, though palsied leg, to stand on when denying them due process." - Max

Well, well......is it, or is it not a fact, spad?
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM       
Quote:
WOW! Look at this.....

"Not all of them, but if they are not classified as Prisoners of War while being held captive by the United States, they are entitled to Due Process, whether they are American citizens or not. And that's a fact, Jack." - spad

Really? Look at this!!!

"The reason we keep these suckers in Cuba is precisely so we have a legal, though palsied leg, to stand on when denying them due process." - Max

Idiot. You misunderstood him.

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:40 PM       
how?
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM       
He made a typo or something.

Fixed. Now read it carefully.

"...if they are classified as Prisoners of War while being held captive by the United States, they are entitled to Due Process, whether they are American citizens or not. And that's a fact, Jack." - spad

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:03 PM       
Quote:
Facts like that article you posted, claiming that it proved the economy was getting better, when in FACT, the article just talked about how much things were sucking?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:12 PM       
NO it didn't.

The economy has improved.....

You people are in serious trouble.

Get your head out of the sand.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:00 PM       
Your head must be full of sand if you think an article that talks about the economy sucking was actually talking about how good it was doing.

PS: Don't forget, I'm a Canadian, so I "can't relate," but I do have a full comprehension of English.
Will chop you good.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:43 PM       
Quote:
WOW! Look at this.....

Really? Look at this!!!

Actually, Pee Wee isn't right, either. There was no typo; I meant exactly what I said. Max is right, somehwat, in that they were originally held in Cuba because it was not regarded as being under "US jurisdiction." The Supreme Court saw things differently, as you may remember from their recent ruling, which stated that the folks being held there must be granted access to lawyers. Because of.... TADAAAA! DUE MUTHAFUCKIN' PROCESS, BEEYATCH!

If they ARE classified as POWs, they are not entitled to Due Process, and may be tried in military courts. Even non-citizens being held in US Custody, >>>>>NOT<<<<< classified as Prisoners of War, must be granted Due Process.

Looks like you shouldn't have napped through Civics class, Ronnie.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:36 AM       
When I said 'Palsied' legal leg, I meant they had a legal argument, ie. the reason they chose Cuba was an attempt to deny them due process nd get away with it.

It's a sleazy argument that flies in the face of what America is all about, it's about the letter of the law and not the intent, it's the equivalent of Clinton's "I't depends on how you define 'is'" argument accept it deals with human beings and essential freedoms, but hell, that's what the legal system is for, after all.

See, 'palsied' means sick.