Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM        Aide to Rove first Whitehouse casualty of Abramoff case
Between Foley and Korea, I almost missed this.

White House Official Is First Casualty of Abramoff
By Peter Baker and James V. Grimaldi
The Washington Post

Saturday 07 October 2006

A top aide to White House strategist Karl Rove resigned yesterday after disclosures that she accepted gifts from and passed information to now-convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff, becoming the first official in the West Wing to lose a job in the influence-peddling scandal.

Susan B. Ralston submitted her resignation to avoid causing political damage to President Bush a month before the midterm elections, officials said. "She did not want to be a distraction to the White House at this important time," said White House spokeswoman Dana Perino.

A congressional report showed last week that Ralston accepted sometimes-pricey tickets to nine sports and entertainment events from Abramoff while she provided him with inside White House information. The bipartisan report said there is no evidence that Rove knew of or approved of Ralston's actions, and sources said yesterday that the White House was surprised by the report's revelations.

The White House counsel's office conducted a review of the report, but with Ralston's departure it closed its inquiry yesterday. "Nothing more will come from the report, no further fallout from the report," Perino said.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM       
"Maybe this one will bring down Bush."-- Preechr
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM       
I doubt this will have any effect at all, but I do find it difficult to believe that anything happens in Rove's office that he isn't aware of.