Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:57 PM        Things are looking good for Bush
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040325/D81HJS680.html

Economy Grows at Solid 4.1 Percent Pace

Mar 25, 3:16 PM (ET)

By JEANNINE AVERSA

WASHINGTON (AP) - America's economic recovery ended 2003 on a good note, growing at a solid 4.1 percent annual rate, and is expected to do even better in the opening quarter of this year.

The latest reading on gross domestic product for the October-to-December quarter was the same as a previous estimate made a month ago, the Commerce Department reported Thursday. That was consistent with economists' forecasts.

GDP measures that value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is considered the most important barometer of the economy's health.

Economic growth in the current January-to-March quarter is expected to clock in at a rate of 4.5 percent, according to some analysts' forecasts. Growth in the April-to-June quarter also should be around that pace, they said.

(AP) Factories saw demand for big-ticket goods rebound in February, good news for the country's economic...
Full Image

Tax refunds and other tax incentives should motivate consumers and businesses to spend and invest more - energizing the economy in the first half of this year, economists said.

"I think we should have another couple of good quarters," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com. "The only thing we can be hoping for now is some job growth."

On Wall Street, the GDP report helped to lift stocks. The Dow Jones industrials gained 92 points and the Nasdaq was up 35 points in late morning trading.

It's the second half of the year, though, that some economists are a bit concerned about.

If the lackluster job climate persists, some worry that consumers might turn cautious, thus raising the risk of an economic slowdown in the final two quarters of this year.

The economy added just 21,000 jobs in February - all of them in government - a Labor Department survey of payrolls showed. Job growth has been painfully slow despite better economic activity.

Since President Bush took office in January 2001, the economy has lost 2.2 million jobs.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry has pointed to this as evidence that Bush's economic policies aren't working. Bush, who has defended his policies, wants Congress to make his tax cuts permanent, contending that this will make the economy stronger and spur job growth.

In other economic news, new claims for unemployment benefits rose last week by a seasonally adjusted 1,000 to 339,000, the Labor Department said.

And, the National Association of Realtors reported that sales of previously owned homes grew by 2 percent in February to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 6.12 million.

Low interest rates beckoned buyers and pushed home sales to record levels in 2003. Sales are expected to be brisk this year, too.

"With a strong underlying demand for housing from a growing population in a recovering economy, we could be flirting with another record this year," said David Lereah, the association's chief economist.

Although the fourth quarter's GDP growth rate was slower than the red-hot 8.2 percent pace of the third quarter, the economy's performance in the second half of 2003 marked the fastest back-to-back quarterly increases since the first two quarters of 1984.

Until the second half of last year, the economy was struggling mightily to get back on firm footing after being knocked asunder by the 2001 recession, terror attacks and fallout from a wave of corporate accounting scandals.

A noteworthy factor in the pickup in the second half of last year was brisk spending by businesses. Businesses finally cast off some of the caution that had previously restrained capital investment.

It was big cutbacks in capital spending that helped to thrust the economy into recession. Economists said a sustained turnaround in capital spending is a crucial ingredient for the recovery to be lasting.

Businesses boosted spending on equipment and software at a 14.9 percent rate in the fourth quarter. That was a tad slower than the 15.1 percent pace estimated a month ago and came after a 17.6 percent growth rate in the third quarter.

Still, businesses cut spending on new plants and buildings in both the third and fourth quarters. That's been an area that has remained weak.

A measure of after-tax corporate profits, adjusted for changes in inventories and capital depreciation, rose by 7.6 percent in the fourth quarter, following a 10.1 percent increase in the prior quarter. Economists hope that continued good profit growth will be an incentive for businesses to step up hiring.

Consumers, whose spending accounts for roughly two-thirds of all economic activity, also helped the economy. Consumer spending rose at a respectable 3.2 percent pace in the fourth quarter. That was better than the last estimate of a 2.7 percent pace and followed a 6.9 percent growth rate in the third quarter.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:57 PM       
polls seem to disagree with you.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:34 PM       
No they don't.

Anyway, I'm talking longterm, not here and now.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM       
Psychic Naldo strikes again.

Where are the jobs?

Our improving economy is good news for Mexico and India.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:54 PM       
The jobs market is improving.

What are you talking about?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:25 PM       
Quote:
The economy added just 21,000 jobs in February - all of them in government - a Labor Department survey of payrolls showed. Job growth has been painfully slow despite better economic activity.
Ronnie, do you, like, just ignore big sections of articles that you post?

Job market = suck. See? It says so in the article.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
The jobs market is improving.
Yeah, if you consider low-paying/temp jobs improvment.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM       
Quote:
Our improving economy is good news for Mexico and India.
No, it's bad nws for them too.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM       
I don't read this forum a whole lot, but I thought you were flipping out in here about how much you hated Bush not too long ago, Ron-Bon.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM       
The rise in self-employed people has been undocumented by most labor stats. Does that mean that "there are no jobs" out there?

Honestly, how many "educated" or "skilled" people do you know who are on the streets and can't find a job?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM       
"The rise in self-employed people has been undocumented by most labor stats."

Huh. So where did you learn about this 'rise' in self employed people? How much are they making? What are there health insurance costs? What were they making before they lost their jobs? I assume you know all this bcause of your access to undocumneted statistics.

"Honestly, how many "educated" or "skilled" people do you know who are on the streets and can't find a job?"
How does several sound to you, mook? And what is it you do for a living and what are your costs?

"I don't have provify those factorial presets for you Jew" Since time and memorial I have perscribe to the Letsay Fair doctoral statue of the free marketplace."
Vinth "Words mean any old thing" Clambake

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM       
Max, my job isn't to educate you on where you are wrong. If you want to prove me wrong, go do the research and find out if I am a liar.
Little Monster
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:19 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Honestly, how many "educated" or "skilled" people do you know who are on the streets and can't find a job?
A lot, actually.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:27 AM       
Ok, MM and Max, you have said that you know a lot of skilled people that don't have jobs. What are their skills and what are the demands for their skills in our current enviroment?
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM       
Ahh... see, only now are you bringing "demand" into the equation.

You only argue what's convenient.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:38 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Ahh... see, only now are you bringing "demand" into the equation.

You only argue what's convenient.
Yes, idiot, becaue that's the only thing that matters.

You can be so skilled that you can break out a triangle and a flute and play "Aqualung" all by yourself, but if no one wants to pay you for that skill, then it ain't worth shit.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM       
If it's the most important thing, why do you only bring it up now as an important part of your argument? When I try to read your mind through the computer screen, all I pick up is a craving for donuts.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:58 AM       
Okay, never say I don't give credit where credit is due.

" You can be so skilled that you can break out a triangle and a flute and play "Aqualung" all by yourself, but if no one wants to pay you for that skill, then it ain't worth shit."

THAT was funny, maybe the first intentional thing you've ever said that made me laugh.

"you have said that you know a lot of skilled people that don't have jobs. What are their skills and what are the demands for their skills in our current enviroment?"

It is not the job I am having for the edutumatarorion giving from me on to you. Concertedly if you have a wanting to prove me out wrongly, go look up the factors and bring them out.

Tell you what Claudine. You back up your self employment stats and I'll cut and paste a few hundred pages on the current state of the job market. But chew on this in the meantime. If %100 of the job growth last month was in government, that means the only serious growth in demand that month was for the ever swelling government provided by your big quasi war hero Bush. But then you republicans have always favored huge, bloated government. Oh, wait, no you don't, you're against it.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM       
Max, self-employed people don't show up on payrolls. Thus, they are not counted when employment is calculated. The numbers would not match up. People who are not working at all but have money to support themselves are considered unemployed and count on unemployment rolls. I could not work right now, have 10 million in the back, and when the survey dude calls and I tell him I'm not working, I would be counted as being "unemployed."

Our current employment is at 5.6%. That is a good historical average. The only reason there is a huge whine-fest about it is because the jobs that are being lost are low-level jobs that we can ship over to india. The "high-level" white collar jobs going bye bye are jobs that are not worth the prices that are being paid to American employees. The 90's tech boom/bust was filled with these types of jobs.

http://www.econstats.com/BLS/blsn_m3.htm

There is the unemployment stats since 1948. You can see that without the .com situation, clinton's employment rate would have sucked. An interesting thing to see is the unemployment rates for Clinton's presidency during the '96 campaign...

1996.09 5.000
1996.08 5.100
1996.07 5.600
1996.06 5.500
1996.05 5.400
1996.04 5.400
1996.03 5.800
1996.02 6.000
1996.01 6.300

You should also take a gander at the first four years of Clinton's presidency. "His" unemployment numbers sucked as well and he didn't have a large world-wide war and terrorists scares to worry about either.
Little Monster
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:38 AM       
I was a Computer Art major in college, and I may be soon hired as a data-entry clerk. For two months. I have friends who are in the same situation, other majors.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:45 AM       
Vinth. Unemployment statistics are not compiled by a 'survey dude' calling people up. They are compiled by people filing for unemployment insurance. That's how all the statistics you posted were compiled.

Here's another group of people who aren't counted in unemployment numbers. People who's unemployment benefits have run out. It's a pretty dumb way to compile statistics, but I guess it's better than using a survey dude.

You understand what this means, right? That the people in the worst trouble as far as jobs go, people who've been unemployed for over a year, are not counted as being unemployed. You knew that, right?

And you also knew that the biggest job losses in the last several years are in manufacturing, and that most of them paid eleven dollars an hour or more? And I'm sure you know that the Bush administration is currently woking to change the deffinition of manufacturing jobs to include fast food workers, because people are making burgers and tacos on an assembly line, so it's kind of like making automobiles, and also coincidentally, it would make manufacturing job losses vanish?

Because if you didn't know all of those things, the numbers you posted would be just... well, numbers. If you don't factor in people who's unemployment has run out and if you don't take a look at people who've replaced jobs with health insurance and good salaries with jobs with no insurance and minimum wage, then those numbers mean... nothing. So I'm sure you knew all that stuff.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM       
Oh, crap! I just argued the merits with Vinth. I guess that post doesn't exist, because everyone knows all I do is make fun of him for writing like a egotistical third grader.

Hey, Vinth, you write really, really badly! I think you are a dumb dumb. Just pretedn I didn't say any of the other stuff bad writting dumb guy!

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM       
You can't, in this economy, be unemployed for a fucking year. If you are, it is because you are either 1) lazy, 2) do not need to work or 3) disabled and unfortuantely cannot work.

EDIT: To answer your dumbass comment about unemployment stats...

...There are numerous ways that employment stats are tracked. There is a survey done phone-to-phone to see in households who are able to work, who are working, and who are unemployed. Unemployment claims are another way another organization gathers unemployment stats.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM       
" ...There are numerous ways that employment stats are tracked. There is a survey done phone-to-phone to see in households who are able to work, who are working, and who are unemployed."

Huh. Seriously? A phone survey? And those statistics are done by whom? And can be found where? And are used by whom? I know, I know, you don't have to educate me or prove anything.

Say, Vinth, did you know it's been proved that W. ate a baby at a fundraiser? He did! He said "I'll bet all you rich fuckers a million bucks a piece I'll eat baby!" And then he whipped out the baby and by God he ate it! It's on video, but most media isn't covering it. I don't know about you, but I think a guy who'd eat a baby for money shouldn't be president.

Now, don't ask me to tell you where you can see this tape, or read about the baby eating incident. I don't have to prove anything to you. What am I, Lexis Nexis?

Oh, the capper? half way into his after dinner remarks, W. dropped his pnts and took a dump right on stage. And the next day, Chenney is all over the news going "The President never took the dump. He stted the dump was imminent."

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM       
Max Burbank: "I can't prove you are wrong, so I will say something stupid to make you look stupid by proxy."

Try again, dumbass.

http://stats.bls.gov/cps/cps_add.htm

Quote:
Each month, 1,500 highly trained and experienced Census Bureau employees interview persons in the 60,000 sample households for information on the labor force activities (jobholding and jobseeking) or non-labor force status of the members of these households during the week that includes the 12th of the month (the reference week). This information, relating to all household members 16 years of age and over, is entered by the interviewers into laptop computers; at the end of each day's interviewing, the data collected are transmitted to the Census Bureau's central computer in Washington, D.C. In addition, a portion of the sample is interviewed by phone through two central data collection facilities. (Prior to 1994, the interviews were conducted using a paper questionnaire which had to be mailed in by the interviewers each month.)
One of my friends was a sample family. He did interviews over the phone.