Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:07 AM        Motherboard Fried
So, apparently the motherboard on my computer just fried (I'm using Re's computer to type this) and I need to find a new one. Problem is, that particular motherboard is no longer being made

It's the Abit AS8 motherboard (not the AS8-V or the AS8-3rd eye or anything like that, just the plain AS8 model). Any idea where I could find it? I already tried newegg with no luck.

I'm gonna call the local shops here in town tomorrow cuz I need to find this thing FAST. I can't do any work on the site until I get that computer back up and running. I'm having fantastic luck with computer equipment lately. :/
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:46 AM       
If it's really your mobo that's fried, all you need is a mobo with a compatible socket for your processor, correct graphics port for your video card, and correct speed for the ram slots; You don't need the same exact mobo as your previous one. In fact, it would be a good time to upgrade it.

However, you only had it for 2-odd years before it died. You might have a rogue power supply that murdered it and/or you may want to look into a surge protector.

So, put in this thread any information on your:
1. Processor (CPU, Speed and Socket)
2. Video Card (Model and Port type (AGP/PCI/Onboard))
3. RAM (Speed and size)

What I remember of your last one is:
1. Speed unknown, Socket A
2. Model unknown, AGP (PCIex wasn't out then)
3. Size unknown, Speed DDR 333

But I could be wrong there.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM        Re: Motherboard Fried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
So, apparently the motherboard on my computer just fried (I'm using Re's computer to type this) and I need to find a new one. Problem is, that particular motherboard is no longer being made...
How do you know it's fried, did it release its magic smoke? :o

(It's common knowledge all computer parts run on magic smoke, should this smoke ever escape the component will cease to function.)

Often when people say their motherboard has died it just needs the BIOS reset of RAM reseated. :/
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM       
Actually had a tech guy come out and test it. We swapped out the video cards and ram 'n everything. He says it's definitely the motherboard, so I'm trying to find the exact same one so Windows doesn't have to be reinstalled (though Choj tells me not all motherboards would require that Windows be reinstalled anyway). I called all the local "mom 'n pop" shops, but none of them had the motherboard.

This online place does though:
http://www.pcprogress.com/product.asp?PID=ABAS8

So I might end up doing that. Gonna talk to the tech guy first and see what he thinks
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM       
DO AS I COMMAND
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM       
NEVAR! The ABit AS8 has just been ordered online.

TAKE THAT, PUNK!
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM       
Hey Rog,
If you send me the fried motherboard, I would be willing to attempt to repair it for free. If I can fix it, I will send it back to you in working order. I won't even charge you for replacement parts.

It is a hobby of mine to tinker with electronics. Basically, what I will do is track signals through the motherboard and attempt to find what component has stopped functioning. If I can replace it, I will. If not, I will scrap it for parts and build you something hilarious.

Since it is a motherboard, I estimate that I will need about 30 hours of work time on it before I can repair it or decide it is ready to scrap it. Other electronics take me much less time, but there is a lot going on in a mobo. So overall, I would guess it would be about a 2-3 month project.

Additionally, if you have the users guide to the motherboard, that would be very helpful so that I can know what kinds of signals to apply and where. If you don't, I can probably find one online or just make do without one.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM       
Thanks Russo, but no need. My replacement arrived today, I got the exact same one and it works like a charm.

How do I spell relief? Fuck Rolaids... I spell it "F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R"
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM       
for your future shopping needs and the finding of old computer parts;

www.pricewatch.com