Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM        Weekly Comic Review: Y - The Last Man
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Comic Review: Y - The Last Man.
The Dork Knight

slangislayer is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM       
Hm, still got it lying around but I havenīt had the time yet to check it out, perhaps a good incentive to turn off the computer and sit back with the books...
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:37 PM       
Do they have any volumes of this comic collected into graphic novels yet?
nilus is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:54 PM       
Yes, as the reviewer said pickup Unmanned, the first Graphic novel. I think its the first 5 or 6 issues. Right now there are 9 G novels out, covering all but the last 8 or so issues. The last one comes out next month I believe.
なにをみてんだよ
BakaGaijin is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM       
Serial fiction such as television series or comic books always seems the hardest when it comes time to say goodbye. Unlike novels and movies, readers have been following the exploits of these characters every month for years, and it's certainly no exaggeration to say that after a powerful series like this a certain "void" in one's life is bound to be felt.

So true.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM       
Now you're making me *dread* reading the last GN. I've been caught up so far and I do like the story. You're right in that Yorick is a great character. He's a little more than the average "everyman," but he's likable and you can really sympathize with him. I've enjoyed seeing the different points of view, too, that they've come across throughout the series. All in all, I agree. It's beautifully written and even though you're making me feel a bit skeptical at reading the end...I mean, with a line like "Vaughan finally delivered the moment I'd been waiting for for years, and then he had to go and break my heart with his stupid story" you just know something *bad* is going to happen. Of course, it's going to be even worse because I wait for the GNs to come out, but knowing it's coming helps soften the blow a little *laughs*
Fookin' up planets!
Captain PirateFace is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM       
I love this book... best book since "Preacher" yo.
James Brown in hiding
D-MoN is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:35 AM       
I hear you Prot. I totally went through the same thing when Preacher ended. I think it's telling for a comic when it can transend the shit. We read stories every month where cheracters are killed and ressurected so many times that it looses it's punch but when the cheracters are so well developed and everything around them seems plausable it's no longer just a book. It's now art because it did what it was supposed to and that's suck you in to the point that you're going along with everything those cheracters are going through.

I haven't read this series but I've had way too many reccomendations not to at this point but if it got that kind of reaction from you, well like I said I had the same thing with Preacher so I've got to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up bro.
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM       
I did get the first trade, didn't find it that interesting. Sort of was dumb how he was a magician and it's somehow useful ( and I'm sure it comes back again and again ) and he's got a monkey for no real reason and basically nothing interesting really happens except a bunch of women doing insane things that don't make any sense.
But I just read the first trade, I imagine it gets way better somehow because everyone is raving about this book :O
Of course if you follow anything every month for years, you'll end up liking it, no matter how shitty it is. So bah still not really convinced to get the rest by your review there.

Is there some awesome twist that happens? Or like cool enemies? Something?
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:12 AM       
I read the first and fourth volumes, and I liked it. The build-up to the plague was very well done (and very inevitable in it's feel).
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM       
Copper: It's a Brian K. Vaughan book. Of course something bad is going to happen!

D-Mon: Definitely check it out. I wouldn't rank it as highly as Preacher, but it was one of the more enjoyable Vertigo books for me in recent years.

Poxpower: They explain why he has the monkey--he volunteered for a program where people train "helper" monkeys for quadriplegics. I don't want to say too much and give things away, but the monkey is an important element as for how he survived. And the fact that he's an escape artist isn't a mere convenience for Vaughan to get the character out of sticky situations--it's actually an important thematic part of the story.

And the women are doing insane things because the entire infrastructure of society fell apart overnight.

I know some people who just didn't get into the book, so I guess it's not for everyone, but it's pretty damn high on my list.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM       
"Copper: It's a Brian K. Vaughan book. Of course something bad is going to happen!"

But Y's the only of his I've read, so I don't have anything else to base it on! Bah. Well, I can make a few guesses, but I suppose I'll find out when the TPB is released later on.
From the Home of MST3K
incognit000 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM       
Your incessant posting of genuinely great comics is going to force me to get a job so I can buy them.