Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM        What do theaters do with films when their done playing?
I was looking into getting a used film projector for cheap, something that needs work. But looking further, I can't find anyone selling the actual movies they use in commercial theaters. Do theaters destroy the movies when their done playing them or something like that? WTF?
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM       
I remember Evil Robot making this exact thread a while back.

BUT YOU DIDN'T REALLY MAKE IT, DID YOU

Spam is completely taking over. I think permanently banning the entire message board is in order.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:12 AM       
As I understood it, it was like they were licensed to show them and then they had to send them back.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM       
yeah that sounds about right
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM       
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s28oldprints.html
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:23 AM       
I think they get heavy fines too if the films aren't returned on time because theaters basically rent the film strips.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM       
Right after I made this thread I found all these companies that rent and license movies in 35mm, my mistake was searching for "film" instead of "prints". When the hell was there ever spam about this?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM       
he was probably being ironical or somesuchshit
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM       
I've always been curious about how much it costs a theater to get old film reels to screen. You know, say an independent theater wants to screen Big Trouble in Little China for a midnight movie... how much does it cost them to get that film reel and screen it to the public for one night? Anybody know?
OH GOD
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:43 AM       
i haven't been able to find that specifically but i did find a big list of film distributors if you want to try calling one of them :/
http://www.bigscreenbiz.com/Film-Distributors/

edit n/m this link is much more helpful: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/740565
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
I've always been curious about how much it costs a theater to get old film reels to screen. You know, say an independent theater wants to screen Big Trouble in Little China for a midnight movie... how much does it cost them to get that film reel and screen it to the public for one night? Anybody know?
Speaking of that, tonight in NY we get a double feature of Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness starting at 11pm
That damn kid
Hangie is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM       
They put their dicks all over the film then send it to me.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM       
I haven't been able to find Big trouble, but it seems that movies like it generally go for $1-3 dollars per person you intend to have at the event (this is only for non-profit gatherings, not independent theaters). I found some companies that deal with people other than gigantic cinaplexes but their title selection is limited to crap and straight to video stuff. What I want to do is buy a used Christie digital cinema projector and rent one of the vacant lots in Long Beach in NYC, charge for tickets and food, and bring in a few of those guys that have street vendor liquor licenses for a share of the alcohol sales. Just doing this on weekends as an outdoor seasonal thing might actually turn a profit if I can find a movie company that will work with me, but they all seem to intentionally give preference to Lowes and Sony ONLY.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post
Speaking of that, tonight in NY we get a double feature of Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness starting at 11pm
Awesome. I can be there in 6 hours.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
What happens is you make a deal with the film company. Like say a brand new movie can only be played in a certain radius. So multiple movie theaters make a bid on the movie along the lines of (I'll give you all the ticket sales for the first 3 weeks and then 75 percent ticket sales for the next 2) and another theater might even give them all the ticket sale for all 5 weeks just so that they have the movie. Cause yes, the only money a movie theaters makes is really of of the concession stands. I know, I was deep in the business.

For an old movie? I suppose they would offer like 25 percent ticket sales or something. One one hand there wouldn't be a bidding war for the movie, but on the other hand there might only be a few prints and they ship it all over the county.