Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Loveline
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM        Re: Paying for stuff.
This is an argument the boyfriend and I had earlier today.

We each do our fair share of paying for stuff, it's never a one-sided thing. However, he was paying for lunch today (hot dog stand). I'm pretty frugal, so I got the kid's meal- cheapest way to get hot dog, small fries and a drink, and really I don't need more food than that.

But he was offended and said that it's insulting to get the cheapest thing when a guy's paying. He said that the other end of the spectrum is inappropriate too, when you're taking someone out and they order the most expensive thing in the menu. He seemed to feel that both behaviors were equally offensive.

Whatever, I guess I'll order from the adult menu in the future, I thought I was doing him a favor.

Is this a common notion?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM       
I'd be offended if someone who is buying lunch for me is offended by what I order.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM       
I would never be offended if my date ordered the cheapest thing on the menu. I'd be damned grateful!
You may already be there.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM       
Tell him not to act like such a pussy over that shit.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM       
I think there is something to be said for this, that there's an ideal spectrum of how much a date should follow from the menu. But this would ONLY be for like the first three dates. The last few dates I've been on, though, the girl was so passive that I actually went pre-sexual revolution old school and actually ordered what I thought she'd like on her behalf.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM       
did you tell her to hit herself afterwards?
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM       
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM       
I could see someone being offended if they perceive you choosing the cheapest item as a reflection of your view of their financial situation. As in you're choosing something cheap because you think they're poor or tight with money. Otherwise I can't see much wrong with it.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM       
Tell him the next time he pays for your meal, you'll do your best to impress him.

Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:24 AM       
idk i kinda see what he's saying

On one hand you don't want somebody thinkin that they have to get the cheapest thing on the menu because they don't wanna spend yer money (or think you don't have much money.).

buuuttt

you don't want some broad bein all, "I WANT THE SHRIMPS" either cause it's all like god damn I offered to pay for yer food so how are you gonna go off and pick the most expensive thing you dumb slut? fccckkkkkkkkkk mee. I h8 your ass so mch right now.

Idk, guys are dumb. That is where he's coming from, so if you can somehow translate that into making some sort of sense...
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:58 AM       
to make it up to him offer to take him to a fancy restaurant and then dine and ditch
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM       
It depends. I ask if they're sure they don't want anything else, because I don't mind, and if they don't no skin off my nose.
Tell your boyfriend to get over himself.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM       
I'm still reeling from years ago when my ex and I were having a "meeting of the parents" dinner at the local Japanese hibachi restaurant. His mom and my parents were there, and we were (ok, I was, but that's a story for another time) paying.

Now, we were pretty young, and I thought that it was a given that everyone should go fairly conservative. Not "no thanks, I'll just have water" conservative, but the cheapest entree was $18, you know? I stupidly believed in common sense.

Well, what we hadn't prepared for was that his mother was going to go a little nuts with the menu. I don't know if she honestly figured she'd go all-out, or if she was using the excuse of someone paying to order everything she'd ever wanted, or if she was trying to impress with eating off big sushi boats, or what. She ordered all kinds of sushi, drinks, and then a big dinner platter with seafood. We were horrified. I was trying to mentally add up all of this and whether what I had in my bank account would cover it. My parents ended up slipping me some cash under the table.

Yeah, that was a relationship that didn't last.
Lethal fresco
Blasted Child is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Yeah, that was a relationship that didn't last.
Your relationship didn't last due to his mother's ordering too much during a dinner?

Not exactly Hamlet-material you've got there.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM       
The relationship was doomed from the start and crashed more spectacularly than the Hindenburg. No, it wasn't solely due to the mother's shenanigans, but they certainly helped.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM       
Communication breakdown. I hate people.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM       
This is how my relationship goes:

"I'm hungry."
"Me too."
"I'm gonna find something to eat around the house."
"No. I wanna go out."
"Do you wanna pay?"
"Yes."
"Then let's go out."

Communication magic.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM       
Did you guys ever consider that not having a significant other won't lead to these kinds of problems?

It's worked wonders for me!
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM       
And your life will never become anything more because of it!
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM       
I dunno, I don't think I'd need to have that SPECIAL SOMEONE to make my life feel worthwhile.

Odds are it'll only end up a pain in the ass, just like every other time it has happened in history
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM       
Why are you so jaded? What hurt you?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM       
Well, my parents being constant unhappy jerks has sort of put me into the mentality that my life is over once I turn thirty and or get married, that might be it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM       
By ordering off the kid's menu you made him look like a pedophile.
Let's play Hardball!
Seven Force is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM       
I know I wouldnt really be offended if my girl got something cheap from the menu, i actually encourage her to get something more pricey but its really whatever she wants. She feels the same way. Maybe he doesnt want to seem like hes a cheap-ass by letting you order from the cheaper items. I'd suggest reassuring him that you wouldn't think less of him by doing so.

Schimid has the right idea. GW will never feel the touch of a conscious woman/man/child.
Let's play Hardball!
Seven Force is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM       
Naw, but serious GW I know how you feel about the 'rents thing