Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM        Weekly Comic Review: New Avengers #50
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Comic Review: New Avengers #50.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM       
Max, I wish that Marvel (or better yet, DC) would pay you to write up a plot synopsis online of every single book that Marvel publishes.

Shit, if you keep reviewing these things, I could stop buying them.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM       
I have to admit that Chunky Sirloin Burger Soup is pretty good.
RevengeVirus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM       
Remember when The Hood was in the MAX universe and didn't suck? Seems like a life-time ago now.
Forum Chaos Lord
Jaimas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:57 AM       
I own this book, a gift from my uncle.

You know how sometimes, a book can be so bad that it flips right around the bar and becomes obstenibly humorous to read? Like the Goddamned Batman?

This thing wishes it was that good.

If anything, Max is understating this thing in ways that are hard to describe. Be afraid.
Forum Virgin
peh_ is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM       
I gave up Marvel for lent a few years ago and never picked it back up. But I hope they continue to suck the sweat off of a dead mans balls so I can read you write about it. Made my nite... However my nite was spent reading about stuff on the internet, so take from that wat ye may......
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM       
Yeeeah...even my rampant Marvel apologism can't stretch to this one.
Forum Virgin
MallardMan is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM       
I can't say I'm surprised at all that Bendis isn't pushing a plot forward. Isn't that what he does? Not push things forward? Didn't he make up a new word (what was it... decompressed storytelling?) just to try and justify the fact that the douchebag can't tell a story with proper pacing? SPIDERMAN'S ORIGIN DOES NOT HAVE TO BE SIX ISSUES LONG.

God I hate Bendis...
DavidFullam is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM       
But it has 3 panels of Mockingbird and Ms. Marvel standing butt to crotch!
I likes PIE!
comhcinc is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM       
Sorry but I disagree. The issue, while over priced, was interesting. It did push the plot along well enough. It had a nice plot twist. The part where we see each character thinking gives the reader a good idea of what pushes the characters.

I find your reviews to be entertaining and interesting but I got to tell ya. This was fun. Now will Bendis pay it off? I doubt it,and yeah you are right on that.
The Ugly Puckling
Graystreet is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM       
Wolverine is not pushed by thoughts of Cotton Candy, I don't care what Bendis writes.
Vigilante All-Star
Riot.EXE is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:58 AM       
I remember last year, I was at Wizard World Chicago and I was like, 6 inches away from Bendis for a bit...I didn't say a fuckin' word to him. I didn't even freak out like "holy shit it's BENDIS!!!" I just looked at him, he looked tired and worn out from the day or whatever, and then he walked away. You know what? I'm completely fine with that.

...now you have an idea of what I think of his writing.
Ba dum dum dum dum
Alcibiades is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM       
I'm just waiting for Bendis to start writing a comic about himself.
SPOOOOOOOON!!!
Rufus the Perturbed is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM       
I'm still waiting for the ultimate crossover: a Bendis/Miller colaboration in which Norman Osborn is the president, Joker is the secretary of defense, and the God-Damned Batman is the new Osama Bin Laden. Wolverine and Spiderman will be there, of course, but not as actual parts of the story. They'll just show up every third or fourth panel to remind everyone that they're contractually obligated to be in ALL comics that have any connection to Bendis. Oh, and also Captain America and Hawkeye both dress up as Ronin (at the same time), but near the end of the issue the real Ronin (Aunt May) shows up and tells Dumb and Dumber to dress up like someone else. The final page is a giant shot of Frank Miller being beaten with a hammer while Brian Michael Bendis hangs himself in the background. It would also come with a signed apology and suicide note from both authors.
Forum Virgin
peh_ is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 05:11 AM       
I thought that Wolverine being the first superhero should deserve being in every comic everywhere. Bendis is a genius because he is giving all of us what we want in every issue. I work in a bookstore and after all of these posts I decided to read up in our graphic novel section, and GODDAMN! that man gives all the cliche's we want.

In all honesty though, I work with a huge comic fan and he just shrugs and walks away when I ask him about what I'm reading...

Oh, what was I reading??? Oh yeah... I forgot already.

Can't wait for the next reboot so we can start fresh again!!! I wish I could go back in time and just enjoy the real Avengers the first time around... Can you do that Kang?!?!? Where are you when we need you.
Forum Virgin
bobcooksey is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM       
RIGHT ON! Marvel has always had some bad writers, but nobody has been as destructive as Bendis. God he sucks so bad. I recall back in 2006, visiting a comic store, and being totally shocked that anyone could view the New Avengers as anything but an unmitigated disaster. At that point I didn't really know who Bendis was (mercifully)and didn't understand why his fans worshiped him. This was a few months after after Hawkeye died.

Being the open-minded guy I am, I asked the owner of the store to explain bendis' appeal to me. I swear to God, the guy said Bendis was the greatest characterization writer in comics. Since there was no characterization in New Avengers, I asked him to give me an example. "Hawkeye," the owner explained. "I loved how Bendis made Hawkeye so brash." I just stared at him.

Hawkeye had been dead virtually the whole run.

It was a surreal moment.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM       
Alias was a great book. Seriously excellent writing. I think Bendis drank the cool aid of his own press. I have never seen such an appalling fall from grace.
Forum Virgin
bobcooksey is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM       
Hey I bought Alias and kinda liked it--but I'm not sure I'd call it excellent. But anyway that's a question of personal taste and at least Alias was coherent and made sense. AND Bendis didn't manage to destroy any characters.