Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM        Onlive - The future or a load of shit?
Onlive interview #1

Onlive interview #2

So the basic premise here is that these people at Onlive have a big server farm that they run high-end PC games on and you, using a web-browser, can connect to a server and play a high-end PC title on any low end machine (no video card required). APPARENTLY they've developed some bespoke system for eliminating the lag that occurs when your controller is controlling something several miles away instead of right in front of you and the way it sends frames back to your pc is also optimised in some fashion to eliminate lag.

Personally I'll believe it when I see it. I could imagine maybe a strategy game could work as it's not so time-sensitive as, say, a shooter but really there are so many things that could go wrong with this it seems unbelievable to me that it would work properly.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM       
I'm with you on this one.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM       
IF they can get it working properly it sounds like a great idea.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM       
I can tell you right now that they do not have the power in their servers to render all this shit, nor the bandwidth necessary to ferry all this information all over the world. It looks about as legit as the Phantom.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM       
I've had this shit in my mind forever, that's why i was like those fuckers took my idea but i don't think it'll work, what if you dont have internet or your internet fucks up....

I was thinking more along the lines of just tuning into a channel and playing like that, but i highly doubt this device will get any real support, and if you'll even be able to use any controller you want or only their controller..
And what happens if someone developed something for the ps3, they'll have ps3's and 360's and everything at their server farm?
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM       
read the fucking articles and all your questions are answered microshock

sounds sketchy right now. I could see the digital distrbution replacing consoles games being bought in stores but I don't think this lag free experience will work with non of the game being in the person's home. I feel lke the system would work if it required you to download the game basically just eliminating the physical disc and case but their goals are more far reaching
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM       
but how will i run my duke nukem forever mods
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM       
OK, it looks pretty cool but it's going to have so many problems at launch, I guess we'll just try it out when it comes out.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM       
Who's "we"? You got a mouse in your pocket? I'm not trying any of this shit.

I have a huge problem with cloud computing and streaming paid content like this. I feel like I'm renting something that should be mine. I like my games tangible, whenever possible, and if it isn't, I back 'em up on a physical medium.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM       
I bought 1 game on Steam and now I regret it. It's not for me.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM       
I'll believe it when I see it. It sounds about as novel as when Final Fantasy: The
Spirits Within was the "future of movies" and the "end of actors".

j/k fuck them
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
I bought 1 game on Steam and now I regret it. It's not for me.
I like Steam, though. I like that form of DRM and the games are stored on MY hard drive. I may need internet access to use them, but I have no doubts that there are ways to hack around that.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM       
Steam did something that left me wishing I had bought the hard copy. They aren't all that great at customer service. In fact they completely ignored everyone and pretended like we didn't exist. But that's just one instance and it happened to be my first impression from them.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM       
I haven't had any outstanding issues that couldn't be fixed from a little Google-age, but I guess things like billing or something could fuck things up. I've heard from elsewhere that their customer service sucks, but when Bioshock's $5 or I want to get my TF2 on, there's not really anywhere else for me to go.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM       
Yeah I've heard Steam's customer service is rather ropey but luckily I've never needed it.

Personally I really like Steam-like services. It's so much nicer to me to not have to worry about disks and weird DRM. Though that said I still can't quite get on board with the whole Onlive thing. If it works it could be great for people that have a crap PC (at work even) or want to play PC games on their TV but for anyone that already has a half-decent PC it's just redundant and kind of takes some of the fun out of what it is to be a PC gamer.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM       
I've said how much I hate this idea, but I also know I'm powerless to stop it and that this WILL be the future. It's going to happen. Connections are going to get better, storage will become physically smaller and store more, and heat disappation technologies are going to evolve.

This will be the future; everyone's data in the hands of a select few, we having chosen so as consumers.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM       
It might be brought on by the need to fight piracy.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM       
I only like Steam, but only for Valve games. I will never buy a game that isn't from Valve off Steam.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM       
I read on another forum that payment "might" be that you buy the game and pay a monthly fee. I don't think I would do that. One or the other but not both.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM       
That'd be seriously fucked up.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM       
i don't see how internet connections or storage could ever get good enough to make a shitty computer be able to run good games from thousands of miles away ;\ or even three doors down really. Seems like they would need specialized hardware/computers at least ;\

but what do i know
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM       
Good article on Eurogamer about this: LINK

It makes some interesting points about how this can in no way work as it has been advertised.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM       
Onlive- The future load of shit.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
in no way work as it has been advertised.
Yeah, it's from the guy who invented WebTV. Big idea, crappy results.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM       
I'm with the "no way" camp. I personally wouldn't mind diminished graphics quality if it meant my meager PC could run high-end games, but there's a shit ton of popular games out there that have nothing going for them except their graphics. I think most people will just stick to console gaming.

Oh, and the technological impossibility of it all.