Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM        Okay you Sartre fans, I need your help!
I want to know where in Being and Nothingness (for those of you who have read it) does Sartre comment on the idea of existence preceding essence, as opposed to essence preceding existence?

Or do I need to refer to another book and/or philosopher?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM       
Sartre summarizes Existentialism by stating that "existence precedes essence" (unfortunately my edition for class was a [shitty] translation, so I can't comment on his semantics), but I've not read L'être et le Néant yet. What I've encountered him saying that in was a collection of his speeches on Existentialism, namely Part 4: Existentialism as a Humanism. I wouldn't be flabbergasted if he said that a dozen other places, but that's the only one I know for sure.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM       
I'm pretty sure he mentioned it within the first or second chapter...

http://books.google.com/books?id=X6R...IVNmBE#PPP1,M1

Page 25
Human freedom precedes essence in man and makes it possible; the essence of the human being is suspended in his freedom. What we call freedom is impossible ...
Page 248
Indeed we established in our Introduction that the existence of freedom and of consciousness precedes and conditions their essence; consequently these ...
Page 359
Infantile sexuality precedes the physiological maturation of the sex organs. Men who have become eunuchs do not thereby cease to feel desire. ...
Page 414
... is not subject to any logical necessity; we must say of it what Heidegger said of the Dasein in general: “In it existence precedes and commands essence. ...
Page 415
... say that in it existence precedes and conditions essence or inversely according to Hegel, that for it “Wesen ist was gewesen ist”—all this is to say one ...

more » Page 419
From this point of view—and if it is understood that the existence of the Dasein precedes and commands its essence—human reality in and through its very ...
Page 445
Here again essence precedes existence for Leibniz, and the chronological order depends on the eternal order of logic. For us, on the contrary, the possible ...
Page 549
Existence. Concrete, individual being here and now. Sartre says that for all existentialists existence precedes essence. Existence has for them also always ...
« less
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM       
Fuck you, you cheater.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM       
Thanks!

At some point I'm hoping to write something that contrasts this idea with Aristotle's idea of essence preceding existence in Metaphysics.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM       
I didn't know Seth could play Bassoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2c-iMqlA_w
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM       
Warriors gather slowly round the sacred city hell
Satan screams a vengeance on the land his angels fell
Tyrants pray disaster for the land of love and trust
Demons plot a way to turn the Canada into dust....
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM       
Quote:
Fuck you, you cheater.
I prefer to b ecalled, "Resourceful" thank you very much!

I actually am buying nausea and maybe transendence of ego and no exit soon ;o I dont really like his writing t hough so last time i went to buy them I ended up getting the stranger and some other books ;o
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM       
I'm reading The Stranger in French right now, since someone threw away my copy of Myth of Sisyphus.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM       
I'm reading a boock called Hedonistic utilitarianism Is there such a thing as common sense morality?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM       
I read a book called Everybody Poops once, which presupposes that a type of essence exists within all of us.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM       
My mother only farts every five years or thats what she claims
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM       
But she sharts every day right ;o if only your mother could hold her bowels then she could have a more frequent farting routine.