Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LOL INTERNETS
Command Prompt is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:41 PM        CPU Temps
Okay I installed my new motherboard/CPU but I didn't notice I didn't have any fans in my new case so I almost cooked it at a toasty 60 C.

Today I picked up some fans, so I have 2 80mm fans sucking out air, plus my power supply expels internal air as well. I also have a 80 mm fan sucking in air, and I will be getting a second later on.

The Bios still says my CPU is a toasty ~52 C and the system temp is a balmy 29 C. WTF???

Its a AMD 2600+. I know AMDs run hot, but this is gay.

My buddy runs his CPU at 22 C, but has 13 fans in his gigantic ass case. Must I resort to this extreme?

Oh yeah, I also drilled a bunch of holes in the back of my computer desk so there is lots of airflow. Actualy, My feet are cold from the draft coming out the back of the computer
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:08 PM       
Did you buy one of those gay cases with the neon lights? If so, I laugh at your wattage.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:32 PM       
What heatsink do you have?
LOL INTERNETS
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 01:48 AM       
What the fuck's a heatsink? Something that aborbs heat?

Dammned if I know. That wasn't on the motherboard install chart.

AChimp: If I ever found myself wanting to customize my computer like that I would wrap my mouse cord around my neck and put myself out of my money wasting misery.
Resident Chimp
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM       
Heatsinks are big chunks of metal with lots of spike things to increase their surface area so they dissipate heat better. You put them on your CPU.

My 2.4 P4 runs at 40 degrees usually.
Mocker
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:54 AM       
The heatsink is gonna be the key to your cpu temps. I am assuming you just have the retail one that came with the cpu?
LOL INTERNETS
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:18 PM       
Oh THAT thing. Yes I have the retail one. I asked if I could get some kind of thermal gel put on when they* were mounting it for me but they* said that the retail one was the best.

* = computer blvd.
Resident Chimp
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:55 PM       
That's because you don't have the connections like I do.
Mocker
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:19 AM       
if you get one like this and a 92mm fan for i your temps will be way lower.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduc...srchFor=-900-A

of course there are cheaper, but this is the best.
LOL INTERNETS
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:23 AM       
Is this processor heat thing really just a conspiracy theory to get us to spend more money?

Please advise whoreable.
Mocker
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:21 AM       
yes and no. These chips are designed to run hot, but once it gets around 60c things will start to get unstable.

The heat could also shorten the life of your chip from 30 years to 10 years or something like that(who cares). It could also affect other componets if there is not enough airflow and too much heat builds up..

I would install a temp monitoring program for windows so u can see what the temps are like at full load. Honestly you will probaly be fine, if you want to be safe there are millions of heatsinks better than the amd retail one so it shouldnt be too hard to find one that will decrease temperatures without increasing noise, or costing too much.
LOL INTERNETS
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:39 AM       
I want one of them fancy ball bearing cpus.

Flatulor is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM       
Quote:
These chips are designed to run hot, but once it gets around 60c things will start to get unstable.
yeah, im running an amd duron 1.3 and im using a Thermaltake volcano 7+ (its quite noisy, but if you dont mind such things, then i highly recommend getting it) it has three speed settings, low (3800 rpm), medium (5200 rpm) and high (6500 rpm) mind you, even on low, its a LOT louder than other cpu fans and heat sinks. on low it keeps my duron at around 52° C (depending on the weather) and on high it takes it to about 45° C (also depending on the weather, it could go lower. and the amount of time its set on high can gradually make it a little lower as well. me, i never put it on high, its waaaay too loud and i dont need to keep my cpu THAT cool. i usually keep it on low or set it to medium if its a hot day. i myself dont mind the noise level, i usually have my headphones on, with the sound of gunfire and explosions coming from games. i say if it keeps my comp healthy, i'll gladly endure the noise.
running your cpu at 52° C is fine, like whoreable said, dont let it get around 60° C. if you are truly THAT concerned about the temperature of your CPU, then (if you have a hell of a lot of money) buy a water cooling system, unless you dont mind the extreme noise created by the volcano 7+. judjing by the temperature of your friends cpu, i wouldnt say that its just the case fans that are keeping it cool. he more than likely has a powerful cpu fan (if its loud, he has one) or a watercooled system (very likely) because a temperature that low isnt easily achieved by a fan and heatsink (unless its an extremely old cpu or one that doesnt put off much heat).

Quote:
if you want to be safe there are millions of heatsinks better than the amd retail one so it shouldnt be too hard to find one that will decrease temperatures without increasing noise, or costing too much.
extremely wise and truthful words.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:56 PM       
On the note of noisy fans, can anyone recommend a setup for a really quiet-running computer that still stays quite cool? (fans, some kind of noise insulation, whatever) I'm trying to get a nearly-silent environment around my computer desk for recording and mixing projects. Right now I've got a generic CPU fan, an intake case fan, and an exhaust fan in a PCI slot (those things are so cool and cheap and this one blows lots of hot air out so it must be working), and it sounds *relatively* quiet, but not quiet enough.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:13 AM       
Another minor consideration is how many hard drives you have in there and what their rpm is. If you're running two or more 7200 rpm hard drives that could also add to the problem but I'm not sure how much.

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:41 PM       
Another consideration is air flow. For example, I have space for another fan in the back of my computer, but it's unoccupied. The case was sucking in air less than an inch from where the exhaust was coming out. I covered the open spare with duct tape, and reduced my CPU temp 10 degrees F.

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM       
Also, vacuum out your case every 6 months, more if you smoke or have cats. (NEVER smoke by a computer!) The dust insulates very well, but while that may be good for your house, it's bad for your PC. I find a nice thick furry layer of dust when I clean it out.