Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 10:02 PM        Pentagon's call to mercenaries
i can't imagine the lobbying around this stuff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3136428.stm
Jason is taking part in military training in rural Pennsylvania. But he is a mercenary, not a government soldier, and this is America's latest boom industry.

Private armies are being increasingly used by the Pentagon

Once seen as shady, men like him are fast becoming mainstream.

Private companies like Northbridge Services do jobs governments can't or won't extend to.

The Pentagon has given $300bn of contracts to companies like these over the past decade alone.
"Private armies put the skills at a higher level," says Tom Patire, President of the International Training Commission.

"They also learn to use limited resources. Governmentally, whoever hires these people doesn't have to put up with all the costs.

"It's a flat fee, there are no medical expenses. There's no insurance. They hire them for a job. When the job's over, they let them go."

Overstretch

The industry grew from providing bodyguards for celebrities. Now it's more than that.

Mercenaries are training to do the kind of work the US Government can't afford to have its own soldiers doing. And in a couple of weeks some of them will be shipping out to places like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Will US soldiers like these one day be hired?
But why are private armies in demand? It mostly boils down to overstretch. US forces in places like Iraq cannot keep up with the work.

Are mercenaries the answer? For some jobs maybe. But there is still a huge resistance to privatising peacekeeping.

"The big risk is one of political accountability," says Michael Vickers, of the Centre for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

"There's a sense that even if they're operating under US or international command, the standard that one would expect of them for political accountability - if there are accidental deaths - would likely be higher that it would be for governmental troops."

When United Nations peacekeepers operate in places like Bosnia, they are bound to a national military code of justice and can be held responsible for their actions. Mercenaries are subject only to the laws of the marketplace.

Hiring muscle for money raises serious ethical questions.

But it's only a matter of time before the world's next humanitarian crisis demands troops and looks for them under a corporate flag.

this will add new meaning to the phrase hostile takeover.
bring it on! my army's better than yer army, we got the carlyle group payin our bills!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:04 AM       
It's new for the pentagon, but the CIA used private armies in South America throughout the '80's, during the time Congress forbade the use of American forces.

A security company named Whakenhut (sp) was the major supplier back then and I'd be very surprised if they are not in Iraq now.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM       
I'm against hiring out when the local talent is just about as good. Besides, if you rack up too many free agents, then you'll end up like the Yankees and they'll have to start putting a salary cap on it and then everybody's screwed.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:30 PM       
Wackenhut actually
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:47 PM       
I worked with some Wackenhut security guys on the Quest for Immortality Exhibit (we swept floors together, Vinth) and they were very vice, especially te head guy who was a big, sleepy expatriot Britt. It amused m to think that for all I knew these guys were highly trained killing machines and that te big sleepy thing was just a cover.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:00 PM       
You were. . .sweeping floors together? Sweeping for listening devices or what?
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:01 PM       
at least they don't have to spend a lot of time drilling killing propaganda into the soldiers heads.. they know exactly what they are fighting for $$

but the hired gun also potentially has less morality..
i think the volunteer soldiers might question orders more often
than the hired versions.

when i signed up i was told i was beholden to the officers above me and the constitution... oh well we're abandoning that as a country now anyway :/