Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM        What's some good ska?
I'm getting a little burnt out on Zappa/Vai guitar rock and I'm currently tired of sarcastic and paranoid Oingo Boingo/XTC pop. I've listened to some Reel Big Fish and Mighty Mighty Bosstones clips and it sounds good, but these are relatively well-known and there are probably some obscure-yet-better ska bands out there under my radar.

I'm not really interested in punk-heavy ska as much as the more poppy upbeat kind, and don't recommend Sublime because that's just gay.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM       
Toasters? mephiskaphiles?

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM       
n/a
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM       
Skatalites
Prince Buster
Desmond Dekker
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM       
do vegans eat eggs
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
do vegans eat eggs
why does ska suck?

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM       
Maybe I should consult the Ska Termination Page they might have a good list there

EDIT: Nevermind everyone I have made my decision based on this review, thanks for all your help!

Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM       
MANU CHAO
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:38 PM       
my fav. ska is hamburgers
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM       
the stuff that everyone likes is Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and Kids Table, Mustard Plug, but those seem pretty punk influenced to me. Their still worth listening to a couple songs of if you get the chance.

The Aquabats are awesome if you're into dorky peewee's playhouseish type of stuff.

Johnny Saacko is really good band that I think would be the best

My personal favorite band is Suburban Legends.

I don't know if you'll like the music I like though.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM       
spider nick & the mad dogs are a pretty great ska band. i saw them live a few months ago, they put on a really energetic and fun show. a lot of faggy scene kids were there though

pietasters are also worth a listen
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM       
It figures that I would find the Aquabats awesome right away.

And Spider Nick is the only band so far I've sampled that doesn't have songs that are all same-y. I tried three clips, one sounded like fast-paced lounge music, one sounded like a Sonic the Hedgehog level, and one had a great jazzy saxophone solo.

I think I'll go with those two.

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM       
spider nick actually comes from my hometown . they're probably the only good band to come out of Long Island, actually

it might be hard to find their stuff, they're not exactly a well known band.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:51 AM       
THE AQUABATS ARE NOT SKA.

That is all.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM       
Oh well according to Wikipedia they are and also one of their influences was Oingo Boingo so I like them right away so Sacks go back to Fifth Avenue.

Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM       
aquabats is the original band for travis barker from blink 182

gay!
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM       
Wikipedia can stuff it. The Aquabats = Aquabeat. If you absolutely have to label them as something because you're musically retarded or OCD or something, they're surf. Also, take note that I'm talking about their first 2 albums because if you can listen to their recent albums and say they're ska then you just need to be shoved into a knife hole. Ska =/= "punk rock with horns".
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:05 AM       
there new stuff is self admittedly less trying to be ska. They're still really good, and they'll probably always be associated with ska.

There shows are still filled with ska kids if that's any sort of litmus test.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM       
Exactly! 'Ska kids' know shit about ska, just that third wave trash. Disagree? Go eat a fire ant pie!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM       
Well I have poor musical taste and I already know that what I like to listen to isn't any good so it saves me the trouble of worrying about it.

OH GOD
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM       
guys quit posting in this thread youre making iron mitchell mad
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim
so Sacks go back to Fifth Avenue.

this thread is like seeing a kid wearing an oversized helmet.
Zen444 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM       
Lol, oxymoron. "Good ska."
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM       
Catch 22 is excellent.
-GROG- is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM       
Sublime. but its so popular so never mind.