Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM        The U2 Are Jerks Thread
Everybody knows that. But we need proof! So everybody should supply every little bit of information that puts U2 into a negative light in this thread. Here, I'll start.

http://www.swcp.com/rtoads/printmag/.../neg_data.html

August 20, 1991: SST Records releases a CD single by Negativland called "U2", a tape-collage parody of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" featuring sampled and scrambled portions of the U2 song itself and a found tape of radio personality Casey Kasem losing his cool. As part of the joke, the CD packaging features the title--the letter "U" and the numeral "2"--largely and prominently with the attribution "Negativland" in much smaller letters below it.

October 5, 1991: two weeks later, a federal judge issues a temporary restraining order at the behest of Island Records and Warner-Chappell Music. "Preferring retreat to total annihilation," Negativland and SST immediately capitulate to every demand. These demands are:

Everyone who received a copy of the record--reviewers, record stores, radio stations, etc.--must be notified to return it. If they fail to comply, they may be subject to penalties "which may include imprisonment and fines". Once returned, the records will be forwarded to Island for destruction.
All of SST's on-hand stock of the record--in vinyl, cassette, and CD--is to be delivered to Island, where it will be destroyed.
All mechanical parts used to prepare and manufacture the record are to be delivered to Island, presumably also for destruction. This includes "all tapes, stampers, molds, lacquers and other parts used in the manufacturing" and "all artwork, labels, packaging, promotional, marketing, and advertising or similar material."
Negativland's copyrights in the recordings themselves are assigned to Island and Warner-Chappell. Negativland no longer own what they have created.
Negativland and SST must pay $25,000 and half the wholesale proceeds from the copies of the record that were sold and not returned. Estimated cost to Negativland is $70,000--more than they have made in their 14 years of existence.

Haha aren't U2 jerks?
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:39 PM       
No, their record company is.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM       
Ditto. I doubt the band found out about the issue before you did.
OK
Black Flag is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 01:31 PM       
I love SST Records.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM       
I will NOT have you badmouthing Bono. Not after all he did for this world. You know, all the... stuff.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:46 AM       
His is face is too big for one thing. Bloody big faced bastard. And he is always going to the UN or some such with a petition asking everyone to hold hands. And I bet they did know about Negativland. But that was YEARS AGO.
Mocker

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:05 PM       
I think that gravity song constitutes as a good reason to hate U2 as well. And let's not forget that Edge used to wear surgical masks on live shows. What a poser, huh?

U2 are jerks!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:39 PM       
U2 are very enjoyable and I don't blame them for not want their stuff on some shitty labels shit.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
U2 are very enjoyable and I don't blame them for not want their stuff on some shitty labels shit.
SHUT. UP.

Negativland's deconstruction of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (with special guest vocalist Casey Kasem) is one of the most hilarious musical expriences EVER.
Mocker

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:47 PM       
Apparently Henry Rollins at one point said that "The Clash are what U2 really wanted to be". This provides for even more reasons to hate U2, seeing how The Clash weren't that great to begin with.

Also from the sale article:

Quote:
U2, the supposed band of integrity and protest, recently decided to screw over independent record retailers, by signing an exclusive contract with the Best Buy, the 1,900-store consumer electronics and appliance monolith. According to the terms of the agreement, Best Buy would have a two-week exclusive to sell a brand new U2 live DVD for $18 and also get the rights to sell an out-of-print U2 Greatest Hits Album. In exchange Best Buy will help to promote a broadcast of the concert on DirectTV's Freeview Event series for paying customers and spend up to $10 million promoting U2 through transit bus and newspaper advertising.

So while Bono was all over CNN talking about helping to restore the economies in Africa, he and his mates had already screwed thousands of small music retailers who would lose revenue and customers to a large chain that is expected to rack up $20 billion in 2002. In 2000, Best Buy bought out the Musicland Chain, which runs Sam Goody here in the States, and more recently bought the 83-store Future Shop chain in Canada. For all intents and purposes, they are quickly becoming the Starbucks of the consumer electronics world - a store in every town, sometimes even two or three if necessary.

To make matters worse, Best Buy expanded in the music distribution business by creating Redline Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary that acts like any other record label. One catch, by silently owning Redline, other chains and music retailers are padding Best Buy's pockets by selling CD's from Redline's artists. To quote Best Buy's CEO from a brief article in Forbes (about the only publication to cover the story): "Consumers are telling us they want to depend increasingly on one guy." The Babbitizing of America continues…

Not unexpectedly, this little bit of news was missing from the pages of Rolling Stone or VH-1 broadcasts. And meanwhile, the fabulous images from the photo-op of Bono and US Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill travelling to Africa still flood the airwaves.

U2 are jerks and only canadians with problems like them.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:55 PM       
The Clash ruled, you asshole
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM       
You should check out wire, television or gang of four if you like the clash. Havent got anything against U2 really, except that bono character keeps twatting about trying to save the world and make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race. I get him mixed up with sting a lot.
Mocker

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:18 PM       
The Clash were okay, but inconsistent.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM       
i like U2.
"Pop" is sexy.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:00 PM       
I also really liked POP. Completely under-rated, and my favourite U2 album.