Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM        Bush now in charge of determing 'sanity' of U.S. population.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../328/7454/1458

Quote:
Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness
Jeanne Lenzer

New York

A sweeping mental health initiative will be unveiled by President George W Bush in July. The plan promises to integrate mentally ill patients fully into the community by providing "services in the community, rather than institutions," according to a March 2004 progress report entitled New Freedom Initiative (http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/ne.../toc-2004.html). While some praise the plan's goals, others say it protects the profits of drug companies at the expense of the public.

Bush established the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health in April 2002 to conduct a "comprehensive study of the United States mental health service delivery system." The commission issued its recommendations in July 2003. Bush instructed more than 25 federal agencies to develop an implementation plan based on those recommendations.

The president's commission found that "despite their prevalence, mental disorders often go undiagnosed" and recommended comprehensive mental health screening for "consumers of all ages," including preschool children. According to the commission, "Each year, young children are expelled from preschools and childcare facilities for severely disruptive behaviours and emotional disorders." Schools, wrote the commission, are in a "key position" to screen the 52 million students and 6 million adults who work at the schools.
Eli Lilly, manufacturer of olanzapine, has multiple ties to the Bush administration. George Bush Sr was a member of Lilly's board of directors and Bush Jr appointed Lilly's chief executive officer, Sidney Taurel, to a seat on the Homeland Security Council. Lilly made $1.6m in political contributions in 2000—82% of which went to Bush and the Republican Party.

Jones points out that the companies that helped to start up the Texas project have been, and still are, big contributors to the election funds of George W Bush. In addition, some members of the New Freedom Commission have served on advisory boards for these same companies, while others have direct ties to the Texas Medication Algorithm Project.

Bush was the governor of Texas during the development of the Texas project, and, during his 2000 presidential campaign, he boasted of his support for the project and the fact that the legislation he passed expanded Medicaid coverage of psychotropic drugs.

Bush is the clear front runner when it comes to drug company contributions. According to the Center for Responsive Politics (CRP), manufacturers of drugs and health products have contributed $764 274 to the 2004 Bush campaign through their political action committees and employees—far outstripping the $149 400 given to his chief rival, John Kerry, by 26 April.

Drug companies have fared exceedingly well under the Bush administration, according to the centre's spokesperson, Steven Weiss.

The commission's recommendation for increased screening has also been questioned. Robert Whitaker, journalist and author of Mad in America, says that while increased screening "may seem defensible," it could also be seen as "fishing for customers," and that exorbitant spending on new drugs "robs from other forms of care such as job training and shelter programmes."

G W Bush is going to determine MY mental condition. Oh the irony. I mean, it's real sweet of him to want to do this to bloat the pockets of all his buddies in Big Pharma (by default bloating his) but I really don't think this is the guy to determine my mental health. A man who 'talks to god.'

And to start with schools and teachers? Drug them to the gills!
"Vat do you think of Bush's decision to bomb Iraq?"
"Well I think he rushed to..."
"Take two of these every morning and before bed."

And of course it's compounded by the irony that the neocons want to usher in Brave New World.

"You're so conditioned that you can't help doing what you ought to do. And what you ought to do is on the whole so pleasant, so many of the natural impulses are allowed free play, that there really aren't any temptations to resist. And if ever, by some unlucky chance, anything unpleasant should somehow happen, why, there's always soma to give you a holiday from the facts. And there's always soma to calm your anger, to reconcile you to your enemies, to make you patient and long-suffering. In the past you could only accomplish these things by making a great effort and after years of hard moral training. Now, you swallow two or three half-gramme tablets, and there you are. Anybody can be virtuous now. You can carry at least half your morality about in a bottle. Christianity without tears - that's what soma is."
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM       
He wan'ts to turn the americn public into zelanous sheep!

farbour is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:29 PM       
Quote:
...recommended comprehensive mental health screening for "consumers of all ages"...
Consumers of all ages? At least they're not pretending they care more about our well-being than our wallets.
I don't think they're trying to use drugs to turn us americans into zombies, though. Television and radio succeeded at that a long time ago.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM       
Quote:
. The plan promises to integrate mentally ill patients fully into the community by providing "services in the community, rather than institutions,"
Thatcher did the same thing over here, it was called 'care in the community' and was a complete fucking disaster. Its purely a money saving exercise (duh) so lots of mental facilities can be closed. What it means is lots of mental patients who cannot look after themselves and are a danger to the public and themselves are walking the streets. Enjoy.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM       
Quote:
Bush is the clear front runner when it comes to drug company contributions.
hey, now i've got 2 reasons to vote for kerry.

the drug companies are such crooks they make me sick.

Rumsfelds old Co. is cashing in on pharmecutecals to the troops..
JD. Searle came up with the anthrax vaccine and who knows what else because drugs given to our military don't have to pass civilian drug oversight policies or disclosure. alot of people have heard of the emphetamines they give to pilots to keep them awake('go pills') but now they give them to everyone including boot camp recruits.. it's pretty scary that they are getting kids hooked on illegal drugs in training. I could somewhat understand its use in combat theater but there's no reason to use them in training. [/quote]