Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM        GAS
Quote:
The average price of a gallon of regular gas crept past $4 for the first time in U.S. history over the weekend, and that doesn't reflect the furious two-day surge that pushed oil prices to a record-shattering $139 a barrel on Friday.
That, says one expert, will add as much as 20 cents in the coming weeks.
Link

Yall know what the link is about.

Has how you live or work changed since the price of gas has went up so much in the past 6-8 months? I wasn't really sweating it until it hit about $3.50 a gallon, but now it is actually affecting how I live.

I work from home now about two days a week instead of driving to the corporate office. I also work longer days (getting roughly 40 by mid/end of Thursday)so that I won't have to drive anywhere on Friday. I get paid for mileage when going to a customer site if I can't resolve the issue remotely, so it isn't that bad, but they just raised the mileage reimbursement up to $0.485 a mile about a month ago, so I don't see them upping it again anytime soon. Also, I plan out my monthly finances different now. Groceries are getting higher and obviously it's taking more and more money just to get around.

Luckily I'm fortunate enough to work in a part of the IT world(Networking) where I can do things remotely, and luckily I have some type of reimbursement for going out to sites, but I'm still noticing changes in my everyday life. I'm also lucky to be 22 years old because young folk are like the Back To The Future De Loreans of society. We can basically consume cheap garbage (bologna sammiches, ramen, eggs, Evan Williams, Ancient Age, etc)and run for days. Sometimes even time travel.

Basically, I think I'm going to have to start playing more video games instead of going out.

How is gas f*c*ing with yall?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM       
Personally, it means that my mum can't drive to Dallas for less than $175, which she does every other weekend to give my brothers and I to my father for visitation. As soon as school starts, though, my brothers are moving down to Killeen/Ft. Hood to live with my dad because my mum is "unfit." So my brothers will see my mom once a month. For the rest of their public school careers. Which would be bad enough if gas weren't as high as it is. As a result, we've got power outages, shut-off water, and satellite outages frequently. But we do well with what little we have.

I'm fixing up my bike so I can ride it to work. Shouldn't be more than an hour ride.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM       
pretty soon america will be going from the fattest country in the world to the fittest country now that more people are starting to ride their bikes to work.

i had to quit netflix. big whoop.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM       
You want to know the really ironic thing about this? I just got my driver's license, like two months ago. The only place I've driven by myself so far is to the post office, which is about a mile away from my house. There are places I'd love to go, but with these gas prices? No way.

It's affirmed my resolve that if I can ever afford to buy a car, I'm either buying a hybrid or I'm buying a used car, and I'll amend it to run on vegetable oil. Really!
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM       
If we change our daily routine, then the terrorists win.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
Adarg is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
If we change our daily routine, then the terrorists win.
I loled.

Anyway, gas has mostly just done the usual stuff to me. However, I can't drive to many places I want to go for vacation, which sucks, because I don't even vacation that much in the first place.

At least I've got this computer... and my video games.
say what now?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM       
i still don't understand what the justification is for the gas and oil price increase. i wouldn't complain as much if the profit proceeded toward infrastructures in needed for repairment but it seems that we are being held hostages and the profit have been rolling into the pockets of gas and oil ceo's.
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy View Post
i still don't understand what the justification is for the gas and oil price increase. i wouldn't complain as much if the profit proceeded toward infrastructures in needed for repairment but it seems that we are being held hostages and the profit have been rolling into the pockets of gas and oil ceo's.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: You're just to god damned deep sometimes, G.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
say what now?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again: You're just to god damned deep sometimes, G.
Vote for me, 2012!!

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM       
Two words: war bonds.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM       
I used to commute about 60 miles a day (30 each way). When I started the job last year it cost around £35 a week in fuel (diesel specifically), by the time I'd quit it was costing more like £45-50 a week. If it continues this way a lot of commuters are going to be seriously out of pocket.
Luckily this year I'm within walking distance of everything I may need.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM       
my buddies use the light rail more often to get here, now. a train ticket is $4 per day, but the trip each way costs something like $9 in gas.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM       
Ride the train? Like some sort of common street urchin?

Yeah let's all just do that shall we
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM       
I started to rollerblade again to get back in shape, that way when there's no more gas I'll be in slightly better shape.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM       
Like I said earlier, I like my bike.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM       
im thinking about getting one of those motor scooters
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
im thinking about getting one of those motor scooters
It's just a nice image seeing you fly around in a rascal screaming at children in a beardful rage.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM       
When I used to skateboard everywhere last year, I was in great shape. Meth fueled, but in great shape.
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM       
Segway, all the way.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM       
not a rascal those are for people with type 2 diabetes more like a vespa or something
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM       
OH GOD
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM       
or hell maybe a for reals motorbike, it can't be that hard to get a motorcycle certification on my driver's license
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
or hell maybe a for reals motorbike, it can't be that hard to get a motorcycle certification on my driver's license
About $100 and a saturday afternoon out of your life.

I used to drive a truck to work and it would cost be about $30 a week. About 4 months ago it cost me $50 a week to get to and from work in the truck so I got a nissan altima. It got me back down to $30 a week but again gas continues to go up so Im back up to $40 a week. Im with Executioneer in thinking a motorcycle is the way to go.

Watch out for that Texas heat Fathom. You might be young but an hour in that is hell.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM       
I live in Oklahoma, but it's not that far from Texas. I'm thinking about a motorcycle really bad.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM       
The video game industry is booming due in large part to this shit.

I'd share a link if I didn't hate you all to hell.