Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM        Kitsa and any other animal-friendly people.
I'm looking for advice regarding a stray dog.

There's a pit bull that's roamed the area since well before I moved here. She frequently sleeps in a box of old rags on our porch, we feed her when she's around in the mornings, and I pet her/talk to her/play with her when she's in the yard.

She's a sweet sweet sweet dog, though territorial and a night-time barker.

She has had babies before (unsure of if they were even born alive), and she's missing an eye. She's got a bunch of other scars, too.

We always figured she lives with some pieces of shit across the street, because that's where she tends to come from when we see her moving across yards. Apparently, however, she was some other people's dog and when they moved away a while back, they left her behind.

I feel so bad for her. I was petting her the other day and almost started crying.

We've already taken in one stray, and we have three cats and a lizard in addition. We can't really bring her inside (plus the mother cat (also a former stray) hates this pit.

I hate to think about this dog sleeping outside and freezing every night, and I'd be devastated to see her body in the road or to discover somebody shooting her to "put her out of her misery."

Her tail's always wagging, she loves attention, she goes crazy for food--she's not "in misery," but she deserves a better way of life.

I know if I drop her off at the animal shelter, she'll just be put down. That's not fair.

Is there anything I could do for this dog that doesn't involve bringing her into the house?

If nothing else, I'll make a cheap little insulated dog house on the porch and she can sleep in there.

But maaaaan, she's too sweet a pup to live outdoors.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM       
Give 'er a house, I'd say. It's the only way you can be sure that she won't end up with total assholes or be killed.
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM       
Couldn't you look into an animal shelter that has a no kill policy or some sort of animal clinic that specializes in rehabilitating hurt strays or some such shenanigans?
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM       
http://www.projecthalo.net/AboutUs.aspx

http://www.animalrescue.net/aboutIAR

http://www.animalcompassionnetwork.org/about-us

i tried to find places closest to you, they all look very nice and are all no-kill, goodluck! just make sure you exclude that little part about thinking it belongs to your neighbors, then they won't take her

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM       
If I were in your position and could swing it financially, I would build an insulated house for it like you had mentioned and feed it. It will stay around if you keep feeding it, and really, dogs for the most part can handle the outdoors in winter if the dog house is done up right.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM       
I'd just give her a dog house and keep her fed. Clearly she has been living outside for quite a while, it would probably be best to let her stay outside.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM       
Where do you live again? Do you have a back yard? You could move her in there with said dog house. Keep your other pets that don't get along with her inside. Ask friends and family if they would be willing to take her in. Or if that is just to hard of a sell (as pits aften are) you could consider the harder choice and ask friends and family to take your cat so you could keep the pit. If none of that is really an option... The no kill shelter is her best bet.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM       
This dog sounds like it could be a veteran.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM       
Yeah I would just suggest to give her to the shelter.. but keep her if you can afford it.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM       
I had this exact problem last year, but with a cat. I knew for a fact that it lived with some local pieces of shit, it was starving, it had had at least one litter of kittens, and everyone considered it a pest except for me. They just left it out at all hours, in all weather. I was terrified that one day I'd see it starved to death, frozen to death, hit in the road or that some day someone would just get pissed off and call animal control. I was really, really attached to this cat, too.

A friend had a small insulated cat-house from when she had an outdoor cat who liked to sleep on her porch, and she loaned it to me. I put it out in the front yard and the cat slept in it just about every night. I gave her food and warm milk every morning.

Then one day, just around this time of year, I opened the door to take her warmed milk out to her and she was curled up in the dirt and mulch by my front door. She was alive...sleeping, waiting for me...but she had a crust of snow on her from where she'd been curled up waiting for me all night. And that was just about e-fucking-nough.

I called our local animal shelter and asked to speak to someone in charge. When the woman called me back, I gave her a rundown of the situation and e-mailed her pictures of the obviously starving cat. I'd also taken pictures of her asleep by my door with snow on her. I told her about the pieces of shit, how she was out at all hours in all weather, and how she'd already had a litter that summer. I told her about how the neighbor kids had a game of swinging her by her tail and letting go to see how far she'd fly. I told the animal shelter woman that I wanted to take this cat in, that I loved this cat, but I already had other cats and couldn't afford the veterinary care.

She made a deal with me. She said that if I made the cat "disappear", the animal shelter would cover the cost of her initial vet bills, including spay and FELV/AIDS check, etc. I would have to take the cat in and not let her out in the neighborhood again, but she would be mine and they would be okay with that. The pieces of shit could be prosecuted for animal abuse if they felt like protesting.

So one day she disappeared, one night in my garage and the next morning to the vet to get actual care. Got her spayed that day, got her checked out, got all her shots and started getting actual food into her. The other cats didn't like her at first, since they were used to regarding her as the enemy on the other side of the window screen. But I just kept her separated for a while and now she and my other female are the best of buddies. They wrestle and cuddle.

She's kind of poorly socialized, but what the hell else could one expect after the way she lived 3/4 of her life?

Anyway, now she's as fat and happy as the other cats and I don't regret what I did one bit.

If you're of a similar mindset, I would definitely go for the insulated house. Can you build an enclosure in the garage, maybe, for now? Just something to get the dog in out of the cold before the weather gets really bad. And maybe your local animal shelter could work out a similar arrangement, covering her spay if you take her in.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't have handled turning my cat over to a shelter. I was just too attached, and it sounds the same way with your pit.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM       
Kitsa, you are seriously the best god damn person alive. I had a similar story but I'm to exhausted from reading yours I don't know where to ever start on mine. I'm glad though that you didn't have to pay for all the bills though for that now very fortunate cat.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM       
Well the cost of dog food isn't a big deal. Since we started feeding Otis over the summer, we've bought a single bag of food (which hasn't been opened yet, actually). 2/3 of the household works in grocery, and big bags of dog food come off the truck busted open all the time. The store only needs the packaging to get credit, so we dump it into a box and bring it home with us.

So, I mean, building a dog house for her would be all fine and dandy, but the idea that someone out there would be willing to take this dog in and give her a proper home is fantastic.

I get attached to things way too quickly.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM       
Fag.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM       
i don't think you should keep her it's not fair to her to have to be stuck outside, she deserves a family, and it's not fair to your other pets to bring her inside. there are a ton of rescue groups/sanctuaries and such in your area that would happily take this dog all with the same goal of finding her a family. those are not the same as a shelter, the dog wouldn't be in a little cage 24/7, in most cases it'd be put with a foster family immediately until they find someone to adopt it.

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM       
I'm glad you're ok for food. The way I look at it is, the dog's got you as probably its one (and only) defender/advocate, and it's a responsibility all its own. If you absolutely have to turn it over to a shelter, I'd research no-kill ones. I'm sure there are pit bull rescues, too, to deal with all of the dogs who come away from dogfight situations. Someone from a rescue might be willing to make a drive to pick the dog up, and at least then you'd know the dog would be fostered until a home was found. I'd stay as far away from kill shelters as you can.

Re: the cat...not doing it to impress anyone, I just had a major fucking problem with this:

...and fortunately, so did the animal control people, so they assured me the law was on my side with this one. I felt guilty, but I just couldn't stand to see her like that anymore.

She's very happy and healthy now...has regular vet care, all her vaccinations, successful spay and hernia repair, and regular flea/heartworm treatments:

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM       
Somewhat relevant, but not terribly spectacular:

We adopted a juvenile cat (about a year, according to the vet) whom we found skulking about the house in mid-summer. Or maybe he adopted us, I dunno. Underweight, but otherwise in good health, we had him neutered and got him his initial set of shots. We believe he was dumped, as he did have a healthy dose of "attytood".

Fast forward about 10 years, and he's about as happy and feisty a cat as you're ever likely to see. Mellowed a bit in his old age, but still ornery. Good mouser too.

You can't save them all, but you can save one or two and help out otherwise by supporting - financially where possible, with food, detergent and linens when money is tighter, and/or with your time and energy as a volunteer - local no-kill shelters and the local ASPCA.

PSA over. Good luck with your friend, Aaarg.
You may already be there.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM       
A bow on a cat? That is so lame.

teacup of sunshine
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM       
I care a lot about what you think, Zomboid. Really I do.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM       
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM       
That is one awesome cat to pick up as a stray.
teacup of sunshine
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM       
I'm pretty sure she's a russian blue. Sometimes her eyes photograph as really green and sometimes just yellow-green, depending on the background.

How those people got a cat like that and then took such horrible care of it I'll never know.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM       
I would say she is. Looks almost exactly like mine.

teacup of sunshine
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM       
Yep. Same bone structure, same shine to the fur...does yours have gray-pink pawpads too?

Anyway, don't mean to derail...let us know what you decide, Aaarg.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM       
Why don't you like cats zomboid?
The Wolf
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM       
I have two cats and two dogs. I just don't dress them up in shit like that because I don't enjoy being a prick to animals by making them look stupid.