Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM       
In a slightly unrelated note, I heard that the owner of the Blue Jackets died recently of cancer. Apparently he was quite philanthropic, and tried his best to bring professional sports to Ohio's largest city. Pent &/or Kit - can you shed more descriptive light on this? Am I hopelessly out of touch, and did this occur several years ago?

FWIW I respect greatly any individual who has the best interests of his hometown at heart. The sports world needs more owners like this, and less like the corporation who owns the Flyers. For example ...
You may already be there.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM       
Yes, he died in April of liver cancer. Here's more info:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/...ies_of_cancer/

Unfortunately, I don't know any more about the philanthropy, but it makes sense.

I know Ken Hitchcock is a bigtime civil war re-enactor. I'd love to see that.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM       
OK, just a little bit of chest thumping here:

FLYERS 6, CANADIENS 4

On to the Conference Finals! Bring on the Penguins/Rangers!
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM       
Woot! Go Flyers
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM       
I really like Koivu, but I'm glad the Flyers won.
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM       
You're both now my new best friends!

(this could be good or bad, you decide!)

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : May 4th, 2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Ask me about Loom
Zombinatrix is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM       
I'll be cheering for the Pens when they gangrape the Flyers
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM       
Ah yes, as expected from the Ranger fan ...
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM       
Now that Stars beat Sharks in OT, it's confirmed that a Finnish player will win the cup this season, hoorah!

Too bad for Canadiens though, I really wanted to see the cup go to Canada and Koivu to be the first European captain to hoist the cup :/
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM       
We'll the NHL managed to weasel Cindy Crosby into the finals. Fuck hockey I'm done with it. I hope Cote or Richards can put put the beat down. Now as a Rangers this is hard for me to say but I'm pulling for the Flyers in this series, but in the end I'm going for Dallas.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM       
I get tired of the constant Crosby media-darling thing. I mean, yes, he's a good player, but they just go into these ecstasies like he's got rainbows shooting from his ass and they grovel in hope that one might touch them.

Speaking of the Flyers, anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ

(if you squint, you can make out Ken Hitchcock! Those were the days.)
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM       
Crosby is a media darling because seriously folks, it's the NHL we're talking about. The popularity of the league has declined to the point where games are shown on what was formerly known as Outer Life Network. The NHL needs guys like Crosby and Ovechkin to boost appeal for the league. Even non-hockey fans know who Wayne Gretzky is. Their hope is that someday Crosby becomes a household name. Plus, being pretty damn talented doesn't hurt his stock either.
Retardedly Handsome
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM       
I know what they are doing (I'm a little bitter after yesterdays loss thats all and having Anahiem as a reigning champ is not the best city for promotions). I know you need these flashy players to draw in the crowds and all but why not also promote the great old guys that are still around. Show some of the old time hockey flims. Show the scars and the scraps that these guys have been in. I lived in DC for the past 2 years and moving back up north so I don't have to see the daily documentary on Alex the Great.
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM       
Having grow up with the "Broad Street Bullies" I always thought that Wayne Gretzky was a fag for not getting many penalties, or always taking dives and getting calls. I thought much more of Mark Messier, who was one of his wingmen, and who was never afraid to mix it up a little. Coming from a Flyers fan, this means a lot, considering that Messier was a Ranger for many years after his ride with the Oilers.

Personally, I think the NHL missed the boat big time during the Era of Sports Turmoil (EST) - when Baseball, Football and Basketball were all having labor disputes, the NHL could have risen above it, and as a result gotten a huge amount of props from disaffected fans. But NOOOO, they had to have an entire season locked out. They (players and owners) proved themselves as mentally impaired as the other sports domains. Morons.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM       
I was so angry and drunk last night when Dallas won. I just don't like anything with Dallas. The stars are terrible, the cowboys can drive off a cliff and the only thing keaping Dallas the show alive was Larry Hagman.

Flyers for the Stanley Cup or Bust.
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Speaking of the Flyers, anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ

(if you squint, you can make out Ken Hitchcock! Those were the days.)
Yes! NHL record for penalty minutes in a regular season game. The Flyers GM Bob Clarke (one of the original Broad Street Bullies) had to be restrained from going over to the Senators' locker room after the game. Good times.

Still plenty of bad blood in the 2008 playoffs yet. We could see 'em mix it up a time or two.
Retardedly Handsome
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM       
Alright I've settled down accepted the defeat and look forward to next year. Its kinda funny because I have the 'baby pens" where I live and they are playing the Phantoms (flyers ahl affiliate) in the Calder cup playoffs. Pens are up 2 games to 1. I'm gonna go check out game 5 on friday.

I really don't have much else to say right now. Just don't feel like working.
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM       
Well now, that sucked. Kimmo Thimonen out for an indefinite period with a blood clot in his ankle. The Flyers lose their best defenseman against one of the more powerful offensive forces in the NHL.

Game 1: Pens 4, Flyers 2

I am prepared for the worst.
SKATASTIC
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM       
Just found out Don Cherry is going to be anchoring on espn for the rest of the playoffs. Should be ridiculous.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM       
NOT ENOUGH OF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE TEAM THAT IS GOING TO WIN THE CUP

ERGO THE RED WINGS YOU FAGS

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM       
That's because we don't give two fucks about the Red Wings. Ya got that, bub? We don't like Red Wing talk in these parts.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM       
Are the Red Wings like the U of M of the NHL?

I think I understand now

Beloved Cunt
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM       
I can't speak for everyone else here, but I don't know a single person outside of yourself that likes them at all. I've hated the Red Wings for as long as I can remember.
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM       
:shunned

SKATASTIC
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM       
It's too bad Detroit and Dallas can't double k.o. each other.