Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM        Excellent opinion piece on why W breaks laws
Dahlia Lithwick writes about the Supreme Court for Slate.

Uncivil Liberties
Why won't the Bush administration obey the law?
By Dahlia Lithwick
Posted Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2005, at 6:16 PM ET

In the days after Sept. 11, everyone agreed that we needed to recalibrate the delicate balance that had been struck between security and civil liberties. It now appears, however, that while the American people thought they were bargaining in good faith with their president, he was nodding and smiling and taking what he wanted in secret.

At the start of this "war," Congress thought it was authorizing the use of force in Afghanistan. But now we've learned that in so doing it also gave the president limitless powers to break the law. Congress thought it was passing the Patriot Act. But it was actually giving the government broad and seemingly open-ended new surveillance authority. We believed the executive branch to be bound by the rule of law—by the Constitution and the Geneva Conventions and the ancient writ of habeas corpus. But the president was redefining torture, disregarding international conventions, and granting himself broad discretion to name and imprison enemy combatants for years on end.

Americans believed they were bargaining in good faith with their government over the original deal struck in 1978 when Congress enacted the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. FISA was supposed to represent a compromise between security and civil liberties, by making it illegal to spy on Americans without judicial oversight but setting the bar for such oversight quite low. Even as amended by the Patriot Act—which further lowered the standards for a FISA warrant—the statute still purported to adhere to the fundamental bargain: Americans would not be spied upon by their government without basic constitutional checks in place.

Continue Article
Click Here!

The Bush administration is forever quick to point out the flaws in all these bargains we have struck. The Patriot Act didn't go far enough, so the administration pushed for Patriot II. The Geneva Conventions afforded prisoners too many rights, so those rights were suspended. The statutory definition of torture precluded intelligence-gathering, so new definitions were invented. FISA was too cumbersome in a crisis, so it doesn't bind the president. Perhaps it's naive to think we had these negotiations in public because this delicate allocation of rights and powers is fundamental to a democracy. It's not shocking that the Bush administration sought to expand its powers. It's shocking that the president unfailingly refuses to ask.

There are two explanations for the Bush administration's failure to stay within the boundaries of the legal structures for which it's bargained: One is that the administration believes it is fighting this war on its own; the courts, the Congress, and the American people are all standing in its way. The other is that the administration is convinced that none of our statutes or policies or systems will actually work in a pinch. Our laws aren't just broken. They are unfixable.

The former argument was offered this week by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who defended the secret spy program with the astonishing claim that Congress wasn't told because Congress would not have passed it. Gonzales said the administration considered asking Congress to authorize the program but was "advised that that was not something we could likely get." (This, even though Congress just about sold off the farm after 9/11, granting the president every extra power he requested.) That just can't be right. And it isn't. As Chief Justice John Roberts explained so eloquently at his recent confirmation hearings, the Youngstown case, decided by the Supreme Court in 1952, stipulated that "where the president is acting contrary to congressional authority … the president's authority is at its lowest ebb." The courts have expressly said that if Congress wouldn't sign off on the deal, executive-branch authority is lesser, not greater.

The other argument for consistently reneging on bargains about civil liberties was put forth by President Bush this week when he insisted that we are facing a "new threat requiring us to think and act differently." The existing laws that govern his conduct are helping the terrorists and hurting us. Bush's admission—that he authorized a program four years ago that is secretly monitored and reauthorized by himself—is astonishing. His admission that he intends to continue to do so masks a darker truth: He believes that FISA can't be fixed. Like the judicial system for Americans or the courts-martial system for prisoners of war, FISA can't be modified to protect us; it must be overridden by fiat and in secret.

Over the past several days, Bush's weary supporters have begun to publish defenses of his conduct. They argue, in effect, that the president has the authority to conduct warrantless searches for foreign intelligence because no courts have ever held that his office does not have that inherent authority. This assumes there is a war on. But that isn't the most galling argument. The most reckless argument is that FISA is either outdated—as Condoleezza Rice has suggested—or too slow, or demands too much in the way of proof. Never mind that experts say warrants can be verbally authorized in a matter of hours and proved retroactively and that the FISA court has, as of today, approved 5,200 applications and rejected four. To Bush it is broken, and rather than fix it he'll just make up his own law.

The system sucks, Bush's champions argue. Possibly. The bureaucracy is crippling. Indeed. And so what is the solution? Byron York argues—mind-bendingly—that with his order allowing the National Security Agency to conduct warrantless searches, Bush "was trying to shake the bureaucracy into action." Somehow, the bureaucracy would be galvanized into coordinating better investigations by a secret spy program operating without its knowledge.

So, which is it? Does the Bush administration refuse to honor its legislative and constitutional bargains with Congress, the courts, and the American people because it believes we are all just getting in its way? Or does it sidestep us because it believes that all these trappings of a democracy—the courts and the laws and public accountability are broken and unfixable? The first possibility is grandiose and depressing. The latter is absolutely breathtaking.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM       
Geez, I had forgotten about Patriot II.

The fact that the president actually has gone to the Congress for more and more extensive authority makes this NSA stuff even more mind boggling. If he's so convinced he has the authority to do all of this stuff, then why bother?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM       
I believe it is a two pronged strategy for concentrating power in the executive.

One prong is the cumbersome legal process of actually writting laws that give the President greater and greater powers.

At the same time they casually break those laws to excercise powers not yet written into law.

There is some small (Very small) debate as to wether a crime has taken place here. Gonzales argues that the President acquired powers suprior to laws when congress granted him authority to use all neccesary force in the W.O.T. but absolutely no one is arguing that ths is a particularly strong legal defense. If this is determined to be a crime, W committed it 30 t6imes and publicly stated his intent to go on doing it. That is WAY beyond the high crimes statute for impeachment.

Concider that Clinton was impeached for a single act of purgery.

I strongly doubt he will be impeached, as many of the same republicans who inisted Clintons impeachment was strictly about Presidents not being above the law will have the stomach to pursue their own commnader in chief. This is a legitimate constitutional crisis. It can go one of three ways. Their is no determination of crime by, one assumes the Supreme court. We will have then established that the Presidents power is supreme and determined by him without checks or balances. We will no longer be a democracy by definition. We will be an autocracy.

The court could determine a crime has been committed, and congress will refuse to fulfill it's duty of impeachment. This would mean that while the President is above the concept of the law, he is comfortably beyond it's reach.

There is an unlikely third scenario, impeachment. I can only imagine this happening if either the Democrats get control of congress, or similar illegal shoes continue to drop (a real possability). There are still some ideologic conservatives among the Republican elite who will eventually have had enough. I think there are already several who have a great deal of trouble with W and where he has taklen the party.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM       
...and I still say this is going nowhere.

This has less legs than Plame-gate had. Know why? Bush took more power. He did the job of a politician. No other politician will pursue this past whatever immediate leverage it might offer. Since there is no election going on here right now, the only leverage it offered was that of distracting Americans from the positive news from Iraq. That's done, so this will ramp down from here.

Sure, it's a dangerous precedent... and I'm not talking about the wire-taps. The public admission is the scary thing. Our government has always run it's spy game on the shady side of the law. Taking the process public, placing such gray area activity into the realm of opinion polling... I'm really not liking that.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 07:09 PM       
You're entitled to believe that, but I think you're off by a mile. I again refer you to the Jay Leno law of news resonance. If it can hold as a late night joke, than people ae still thinking about it. It's also the holiday break, and no level of impeachable offense could get between me and my egg nog. There's also that whole part about Senate hearings and stuff.

Let's face it- people don't reach their own conclusions, they often let the press decide it for them. The public feeling over this issue will be fought and won by the ideologues....as usual.

As for the so-called "precedent" which has ben set....well, I could cite something Ben Franklin said, but Robert "dochebag for liberty" Novak beat me to it.

This is why we have a free press. You can call it a politically motivated trick, and I'll say no kidding, please pass the yams. I don't think that entirely matters though. This isn't the same as what Clinton and Carter did, no matter how many times Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity scream it. And even if it were on par with past wrong doing, so what? Shouldn't we demand more of our elected leaders? Do the naughty deeds of LBJ cancel out the naughty deds of President Bush? That's a pretty jaded outlook, IMO.