Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:04 PM       
What is this suckyness you speak of? 5 years shouldn't matter, it's like riding a bike. If you want to strenghten your upper leg/butt, go to a pool and swim. Swimming is really good for you. It helps strengthen your whole body and doesn't cause any damage.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM       
mebbe she's a cripple :O

yoga might help but yoga's really more like stretching unless you learn a complete yoga routine, and if you learn a complete yoga routine it will usually exercise your entire body since that is part of the point of doing yoga (BESIDES ENLIGHTENMENT).
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM       
You already know what i'm gonna say, but - squat. it'll also give your ass some lift/perk.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

if you use a standard bar, that's 22.5 lbs, olympic bars are 45 lbs. 90-year old men can usually pull off a set of squats with just the bar, so i see no reason why you couldn't do it too.

squat form is kinda complex (given that it's a compound exercise) and unforgiving, but i can go fish out some resources if you're interested.

i do squats and calf raises, personally.
Darryl is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
You already know what i'm gonna say, but - squat. it'll also give your ass some lift/perk.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

if you use a standard bar, that's 22.5 lbs, olympic bars are 45 lbs. 90-year old men can usually pull off a set of squats with just the bar, so i see no reason why you couldn't do it too.

squat form is kinda complex (given that it's a compound exercise) and unforgiving, but i can go fish out some resources if you're interested.

i do squats and calf raises, personally.
A lot of girls at my gym do lunges.
The thing with exercise is that you can change the exercise later. You can try lunges and after a while decide to take on a new challenge/exercise like squats.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM       
girls like lunges because they have idiotic fetishes for colorful dumbbell weights and a crippling fear of barbells. squatting is a superior exercise in a lot of ways.

the squat itself has several variations - front squat, full squat, hack squat. that's what you do when you need to mix up your squat, but it activates so much of your core that it's very much an essential exercise.

*now that i got my bro post out of the way, i actually went and looked up lunges and the muscles they activate.

dumbbell lunge - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/DBLunge.html
barbell lunge - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBLunge.html

seems like you could feasibly replace a squat with it if you absolutely had to, but the nature of the movement means that it'd take twice as long. it's also a more treacherous movement if performed with a barbell (like god intended), and a little unwieldy to perform with dumbbells (i squat ~222, imagine holding a 100+ lb dumbbell in each hand while prancing about). it also looks like it'd put more stress on the knee, which would be the only reason to avoid a squat in the first place (though if you squat correctly you won't put a great deal of stress on your knees).
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM       
Hiking on terrain that isn't simply flat or similar everywhere (like really established trails with no hills) is vastly superior to either of those techniques. You will work out all of the same muscles and more and in a different variety than you would otherwise.
Plus you can wear a backpack too.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM       
I was just gonna mention that if you want to hike and strengthen your core, wear a pack with some weight in it. Preferably sand you can dump if you can't make the hike back. you puss.

:edit I have the advantage of a treadmill. I can adjust uphill, get off when I'm tired I just ease it down to a slow walk and get off. I can also take off my backpack of ankle weight and not have to worry about lugging them any further.

Last edited by Tadao : Jan 15th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM       
Choj, I agree with you, but if trying lunges gets someone to actually START weight training, then it's a good thing.

At my gym, there was a girl doing bench presses with the olympic bar and a couple of small plates. She looked self-conscious, but it made me really happy to see her doing it.

I also kept thinking, Crap, I have to keep at it or she's eventually going to bench more than me (and I don't bench that much yet).
was never good
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
Hiking on terrain that isn't simply flat or similar everywhere (like really established trails with no hills) is vastly superior to either of those techniques. You will work out all of the same muscles and more and in a different variety than you would otherwise.
Plus you can wear a backpack too.
so is fighting off vikings and tilling the land and shit, but no one does those things anymore either

the essence of exercise is substituting shit we had to do thousands of years ago with highly efficient modernized methods, since evolution is terribad slow with catching up with our physiology.
BANNED

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM       
evolution is terribad slow at catching up with our physiology?
Friend, I think as a doctor of broscience you should keep out of fields which are not your specialty. Such as evolution and biology.

Quote:
I have the advantage of a treadmill. I can adjust uphill, get off when I'm tired I just ease it down to a slow walk and get off.
Well, while this is nice I don't really think it serves all of the same benefits as hiking. While its true you're going uphill, one thing you migt not consider about hiking is that even when you're going uphill, the terrain is uneven. Whereas on a treadmill on a grade, its always flat and even. Furthermore when you're hiking you have to step over ditches, walk down hills, climb over trees, walk across rocks to get across the creeks. The uneven terrain makes it harder on your body. Seriously, I can walk like hundreds of miles on sidewalks and established trails (and it will mostly work out my legs) but if i try to walk through unestablished paths, all the unevenness on the ground really makes my whole body exhausted a lot faster.

Quote:
so is fighting off vikings and tilling the land and shit, but no one does those things anymore either
Red Herring (IM SAYIng youR COMMEnt IS IRRELEvANT). Besides, lots of people till the land still -- you ignorant fuck! Which reminds me, I love to do deep cleaning around the house for my exercise.

ALSO HERES A HIGHLY EFFICIENT MODernIZED TECHNIQUEFOR EXERCISING WHILE YOU WORK

your previous comment is about that relevant.

oh yea and tons of people hike, you ignorant fuck. Part of the point about things like hiking is that its organic. Just like with food organic fresh food might not be as EFFICIENT and HIGHLY MODERNIZED as some of the can shit/mass produced crap you buy, but its still better for you.
Also I would argue that "tilling the land" or basically doing labor is more highly efficient than all that other crap because you get exercise AND you do something useful like make food

SPEAKING OF HIGHLY EFFICIENT WHY BOTHER COUNTING CALORIES AND EXErCISING to LOSE WEIGHT WHEN YOU CAN JUST GET LAP BAND/FASTRIC BYPASS? YOULL SAVE SOSOSO MUCH TIME THAT ITS RIDICULOUS. HELLA MORE EFFICIENT. GOOD DAY.
BANNED

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM       
haha dude, i think you're on to something:
Quote:
since evolution is terribad slow with catching up with our physiology.
JUST LIKE ADAM SMITH THEORORIZED THAT MARKEY FORCES ARE THE "INVISIBLE HAND" THAT REGULATES THE ECONOMY;

EVOLUTION IS THE INVISIBLE CLUB FOOT THAT NEEDS to CATCH UP WITH OUR PHYSIOLOGY
was never good
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM       
i meant that our physiology has yet to catch up with the modern lifestyle, and evolution is far too slow (and ineffective, since weak people don't rly die off anymore) to change that anytime soon.

you knew that of course, but for some reason you have decided that this is the thread where you will do battle with me at any opportunity.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:37 PM       
well this is confusing! i wanted to build muscle in my legs so they'd be curvier and more attractive (and look less like logs!), but i already am fit and i do most of the things you guys suggested regularly already and it just doesn't build up on me. so i suppose my only options now are steroids or calf implants. o well thanks anyways d00ds

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:55 PM       
EAT SOME STEAKS
BANNED

Old Jan 16th, 2010, 05:49 AM       
You know, I really have no idea what youre going for elx but IN MY OPINION : I don't really think its muscles that necessarily make girls legs look curvy and attractive, but slight chubbiness. So willies right, eat steak and ice cream. but probably your metabolism is too high. You could try not exercising as much too.
As you get older and your hormone balance changes they might get a little shaplier :O

IM ALSO TALKING OUT OF MY ASS THOUGH :/

Last edited by kahljorn : Jan 16th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
was never good
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
well this is confusing! i wanted to build muscle in my legs so they'd be curvier and more attractive (and look less like logs!), but i already am fit and i do most of the things you guys suggested regularly already and it just doesn't build up on me. so i suppose my only options now are steroids or calf implants. o well thanks anyways d00ds
Well, for resistance training to have any impact you have to eat over maintenance. So I'd say increase the intensity of your workouts and yeah, eat more ice cream.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM       
Quote:
Just jazzercise or do stripperobics along with steak and ice cream.

Basically what that will do is take all the excess calories and burn them. The calories you keep will fly to the curvier places of the body: IE: The Booty, The Chest, The Calves. This is why dancers are usually curvacious. This is why I am voluptious.
BANNED

Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM       

I do stripperobics somtimes
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM       
Additional photos of elx's gams will be necessary for an accurate assessment.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM       
Walk around in high heels
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM       
Quote:
Stop making excuses and do the work.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM       
Pick up heavy things. Then when it gets too easy, pick up heavier things.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:39 AM       
my advice is still applicable