Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:04 AM        The Most Cliche of Cliches
What do you think are the most overused elements in video games??

Here's mine:

Crate Puzzles- It wasn't fun in the last 50 RPG's, why would it be fun now?
Your Character Has Amnesia- Gee, I can't remember how many times I've seen this one.
Crates- Are the level designers just lazy, or do they think that crates should be in every single room of every Goddamn FPS ever?
Save Points- I don't want to have to go through the same level 5 times before I beat the boss.
Health regeneration- Takes the tension out of what should be intense firefights. Is the AI so stupid as to just shoot the wall you're hiding behind instead of running behind it and shooting your ass?
Obvious Weak Point- SHOOT THE GLOWING RED/YELLOW THING IN THE CENTER OF THE ENEMY'S CHEST.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:13 AM       
When people make threads containing clever and humorous complaints about things to show how intelligent they are
stitchfan626 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM       
i got a couple of them:

*sometimes in a side scrolling brawler, the least likely place where you can find a whole turkey is in either a phone booth or a garbage can

*almost every side scrolling brawler have at least 3 common weapons: a knife, a bat, and a lead pipe

*the final boss in a side scrolling brawler has a method of being unfairly cheap like packing some serious heat.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM       
SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER SIDE SCROLLING BRAWLER YEAH
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM       
I hate how you can go left and right in a game. That is so overdone.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:31 AM       
- How every mapmaker that isn't from Blizzard and every character maker that isn't a WWE wrestling game sucks or at the very least could use a little more space.

- FREE MMOs and their absolute lack of creativity.

Otherwise I'm totally content about video games, because they're cool and all.

j/k fuck them
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:07 AM       
What exactly is you problem with free MMO's. Do you have to download everything you see?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM       
When you lose all your weapons (in a side scrolling brawler).
Prince Appalling
Karmapolice is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM       
a rocket launcher and/or an ubergun in fps.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM       
_
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM       
Food equaling health recovery. It never made sense, yet we seem to accept it in games like Final Fight, TMNT, and even WoW.

Now if you'll excuse me, I cut my finger and need to go eat a sandwich.
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM       
BARRELS

Also, amnesia

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToShreds
Your Character Has Amnesia- Gee, I can't remember how many times I've seen this one.
pun?

i wish i could complain about hating bosses that require patterns of attacking, but i really see nothing wrong with it
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM       
Discusion threads about cliches
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM       
invisible walls why they can't add stuff like batlefield and halo 3 in wich you get shot or bombed

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
stitchfan626 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM       
in most Area 51-style shooters, barrels and crates will explode if you shoot them. also in these shooters, innocent civilians have a major disregard of their well being by getting in the middle of a gunfight.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM       
cliche of cliches
overused of overuseds
exploding barrel once again
picked up a food and- here it goes here it goes
my health goes back up twelve percen'
Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM       
The Dreaded IIT: Inexplicably Impassable Terrain.

Tell my why neither my veteran space marine nor my medieval warrior can overcome the hazards of climbing over a two-foot fence or walking up some slightly crumbled stone stairs.

The worst is when it's tied into a puzzle, when you have to find some key or do something to open a foot-high gate. It's like the developers actually hate us.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
When people make threads containing clever and humorous complaints about things to show how intelligent they are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Drink Drunk View Post
Discusion threads about cliches
What video game or video games were these in?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM       
guys i like amnesia because it lets me fill in the blank on the character i'm playing's personality
Forum Virgin
tbussard is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM       
"Last Minute Savior". Just when all hope is lost, somebody comes in to save the day or your mentor gives you something that REALLY packs some heat, then the boss fight is ridiculously easy.

But the only cliche I can think of that nobody has mentioned is the bottomless pit in the middle of anywhere. I can understand in certain sky stages, but why, in the middle of nowhere, are these ungodly deep bottomless pits of doom?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbussard View Post
"Last Minute Savior". Just when all hope is lost, somebody comes in to save the day or your mentor gives you something that REALLY packs some heat, then the boss fight is ridiculously easy.
The proper term for this is deus ex machina.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchfan626 View Post
in most Area 51-style shooters, barrels and crates will explode if you shoot them. also in these shooters, innocent civilians have a major disregard of their well being by getting in the middle of a gunfight.
Better yet, GoldenEye with the exploding tables, chairs, computers, chemicals, keyboards, crates, and more!

j/k fuck them
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM       
HAY GUYS WHATS THE DEAL WITH ENEMIES THAT EXPLODE WHEN YOU KILL THEM? SRSLY
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM       
Guns in FPS. God Damit! There is a gun in every single one! Can't they think of anything original, I know I can't so I'll just pretend I'm smart by complaining about it.