Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:03 AM        RIAA is Gay Thread
Started this so the other wouldn't derail.

I refuse to believe that downloading music is stealing. If i go over to a friend's house, and play a game there, is that also stealing, because i didn't pay for it but still got to use it? Is it stealing if i go to an art gallery and look at the pictures without paying horribly psychotic prices to own them? I'm still getting enjoyment out of something i didn't purchase, right? The man of the brush put just as much time and effort into his painting as the man of the microphone put into his singing, or the guy on the sticks put into his drumming. If you're going to attack a "problem", make sure you have a rock solid fucking argument first. Shouldn't the art industry be collapsing because people have scanned the complete collections of Giger, Da Vinci, or Beksinski's works? Shouldn't we all be living with a crippled art industry, where people don't still get paid $200, 000 fucking dollars just to recreate a $600 sign from a Hitchcock movie? The artists that i've seen with the RIAA live in the lap of god-damned luxury, too. Elton John HAS A PLANE FOR CRISSAKES. He needs people's money to live? Jesus fuck, the man has had countless top ten hits! And Dr. Dre? He spends all of his cash on "blunts, ho's, and big-screen TVs", so he can just suck my dick if he wants some more money. There are plenty of more talented bands that don't stay on the top floor of The Ritz every time they go to a show. Fuck, they'd be lucky if they even have money for a hotel at all. These guys are happy for what little money they get, and they're not about to go bashing on their fans who actually LIKE THEM enough to download their music. And when someone likes a band enough to download significant amounts of their music, they usually buy an album or two by said band/artist. This is probably because all their fans are people who hoarde mp3s, people like me. I haven't bought a SINGLE ALBUM in the past four years that i haven't downloaded something from beforehand. I don't care if it's thievery or not, there's no way in fuck that i'm going to buy an album before i hear something by that band. Absolutely no way. When you're fifteen and you don't work, you don't have that kind of money where you walk into a record store and say "i'll take this, and this, and this..." and so on without having to worry about whether or not what you're buying will suck. If i didn't download this stuff, where the fuck would i hear it? Good luck seeing Lymphatic Phlegm, Agathocles or Regurgitate on VH1.

Music ain't nothin' but ones and zeroes, fellas. I suppose next they're going to crack down on people who save images to their computers? It's fucking ridiculous, nothing but crybabies in powerful positions.

Piracy is a juggernaut that cannot be stopped. When bootlegs first showed up, the movie industry was up in arms. Gee, i could swear i went to see a motion-picture of some sort today. And one roughly a week ago. Hunh. It must just be me. I couldn't have seen a movie, bootlegging slaughtered that industy.

They appear to be cracking down hard on CD bootleggers. Ha ha ha. Like that will ever stop. They provide you with signs of how to recognize a bootlegged album.

Buyer Beware—The Six Deadly Sins of CD Rip-offs

If you have any doubts before you buy a CD, check out these six warning signs.

• The packaging has blurry graphics, weak or bad color.
• The package or disc has misspelled words.
• The price is often way below retail value.
• The record label is missing or it’s a company you’ve never heard of.
• It has cheaply made insert cards, often without liner notes or multiple folds.
• The sound quality is often poor or inconsistent.

I'd be wasting my time emboldening every one of those, they're all retarded. If you can't tell when a cd is fake, you don't deserve to have money anyway. Besides, who the fuck tries to sell a bootlegged disc by setting up shop and selling them en masse? That's utterly retarded, these people also need to be stripped of their money.

I have a feeling i'll be visiting this page for a while to come.
crash0814 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:14 AM       
Damn straight to everything you said.

Another example: I went to the library the other day to get a book. I took it home and read it without paying a single cent.

I just stole a book! And it was 100% legal! When is the government going to start cracking down on this obvious means of theft?
Lord Felch Demon
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:18 AM       
Taping a song from the radio for your personal use is nothing like file trading. Unlike radio, file trading allows you to search for specific songs and access them at will. Also, the quality of downloads is much better. You are able to get a copy of the whole song, without a DJ talking over it or another song being mixed in. Downloads are digital and as such don’t lose sound quality in the transfer, as you do with analog tape. Most important, the harm that can be caused by file trading over the Internet is orders of magnitude greater than the impact of off-air taping.

"How is downloading a song different from taping one off the radio?"

"It just is."
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:19 AM       
Who said that? People like that need to be shot.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:01 AM       
From their FAQ.

If music wasn’t so expensive, wouldn’t there be less incentive to want to file-share?

First, this is not file sharing. This is unauthorized, illegal file duplication – on a massive scale. Sharing is when one person gives up something for another – a half a piece of pie, for example, or the use of a car. With Napster, nobody is giving up anything because everybody gets to keep a copy. And that’s just plain wrong.

"I'd like to share an idea with you."
"Her and i shared the night together."
"I plan on sharing my work with the world at the unveiling on monday."
"Two days share but one nighttime."

Need i go on?
Ooner is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:03 AM       
Not related to the rest of my post:

I have never heard a logical argument to the "I wasn't going to pay for it anyways" defense.

Ok...

I will argue on the side of the RIAA when it comes to big hit songs. I think that all the kids who download entire top 10 albums are little thieves and that's NOT what file-sharing is good for. What it IS good for is exposure for bands. Notice all the artists bitching about file-sharing are HUGE stars who don't need any more publicity because their faces are on billboards advertising the newest album. They bitch because file-sharing probably does hurt their profits. Fair enough...

But the RIAA completely disregards that the vast majority of bands AREN'T gazillionaires. Most of them have very little exposure and would be NOTHING without file-sharing. File-sharing is running the non-mainstream music industry right now, and the RIAA is trying to shut that down because it takes just a little bit away from the top40 garbage.

You bet I steal music. And when I steal from someone who I like, I guy buy their album so I can listen in my car too. That's how it should work.

I hope the RIAA sues the fuck out of people with 5000 top40 mp3s on their computer and a CD case full of burned copies. I hope they leave me alone to continue learning about and supporting musicians I enjoy.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM       
Ok, just to be an argumentative bastard:

The library argument is flawed... if the library bought each book at it's cover price, then made copies, bound them, and gave a copy that was JUST like the original away for free to anyone who wanted one, that would be more like file-sharing.

And to continue that comparison, anyone who goes and snags a copy of Harry Potter is a bastard who should be smacked upside the face. But if someone heard about some author that was supposed to be good and grabbed a free copy of a book to check it out, no problem. Hell, they might even like it, in which case they should BUY A COPY OF THE NEXT ONE. File-sharing is a preview tool to find music you like or a way to steal, up to the individual user. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that really do use it to steal. Blame them, not the RIAA.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:29 AM       
Ooner Post #1: I guess you have a valid point, even though I still don't agree with it. However, you're right on the money with your second comment. Lesser known bands do get tons of exposure from file-sharing.

Ooner Post #2: Just because I don't actually have a copy of the book doesn't lessen the fact that I read it for FREE, without paying a dime to do it. And hell, who needs to buy books when I can just go to the library and pick up the book again if I fancy a second read? But yeah, again you have a valid point. I wonder if I should be offended.

By the way, nice name. I have no idea where the hell you got it from, but I like it. Kinda sounds like a cartoon character.

"Ooner! Ooner! He's a crazy guy!"

DecapitatedHate is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:59 AM       
What about shirts, patchs, stickers, and so on...

I mean, it's not like you can share a ticket to a concert, there are many different ways bands can get money, but you don't see bands that are hurting for money whinning, just the ones that have too much money to begin with.

I'm glad you started this thread Ninjavemon.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:16 AM       
The difference is listening to it for free, and OWNING it for free... you can borrow a book from the library, but you only get to keep what you remember from it, the book goes back. When you listen to a CD in a friend's car, that's sharing. When you can still go home and listen to it, and so can they, it's not really just sharing anymore. That's why the library example didn't work. Imagine if the music couldn't be easily duplicated and reproduced.

You can't share a sandwich or a book or a movie or a 100 dollar bill without either using it together or splitting it up. I think that is the primary concern of the RIAA with easily copied/transferred mp3s. Their definition of sharing doesn't include distribution of copies, which is understandable. They're just going about it all the wrong way and for the wrong reasons.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:31 AM       
Quit proving me wrong, damn it!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:43 AM       
But it's fun.

...and I appreciate that you're giving me good conversation instead of just ranting/arguing without even trying to rationalize.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM       
Keep in mind that a song and a book are two completely different things. A person can listen to a song over and over again, whereas a book is usually a one-time affair, possibly two if the person in question really loves it. I mean, be fair. Do you usually read books more than once? Because if you don't, then what the hell is the point of buying the book, unless you're a collector or something? And if you do usually read a book more than once, do you read it enough times over the course of a year to buy it rather then just taking a short drive to the library and reading it for free whenever you feel like reading it again?

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:13 AM       
I would never have bought all of Nightwish's albums if I had not downloaded some MP3s of theirs off of a metal newsgroup.

So I guess that counts for nothing. This is the exact reason why I hate the music industry suits.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM       
Right on, right on. I wouldn't have been able to discover all those weird indie groups I love had it not been for Kazaa.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM       
Anyone who just downloads music and doesn't buy any is a fucking prick. Yes, Elton John has a plane, but his music fucking sucks anyway; it's the people who are making great music that need your support, because generally they aren't popular.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:10 PM       
My god...is the RIAA run by a bunch of fucking morons!?

You know what, fuck them. If anything, this makes me want to download more songs out of spite.

You heard me RIAA, fuck you.

FeuerAffe is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:55 AM        riaa
I didn't know until the other day what the situation was like in other countries. Some news article said that 90% of China's music market is illegal copied CDs. People who use downloading to make money suck.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:04 AM       
Noooooo! We need to pay for music because without the RIAA there would BE no music. Just like before they were established.

Quote:
He spends all of his cash on "blunts, ho's, and big-screen TVs", so he can just suck my dick if he wants some more money.
This is begging to be a sig.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:13 PM       
About a fifth or fourth of my mp3s I'd wager are albums I ripped into my computer because it's where I listen to music. When I get an album, I rip it into mp3s anyway. It's usually just more convenient to download it. However, a lot of happycore shit is hard to get off of kazaa, and it gets harder with more obscure titles. Kazaa lite is helping with that, though :>

I think music is moving on from buying recordings. The RIAA is throwing a fit because they will be rendered useless and die. It's the nature of technology and progress. Some years in the future, no-one will have ever bought music and will be appaled at the idea. I have well over 5,000 mp3s.

AH HA HA!
AH HA HA!
AH HA HA HA!

But seriously, acoustic bands make the vast majority of their money by performing live. Electronic groups make a lot of it through royalties. The RIAA was never a large part of an artist's income and it's that very fact that prevents any artist worth mentioning from supporting them. The RIAA are truly the architects of their own destruction.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:05 AM       
Just thinking about happycore makes my ass hurt.

Super gay.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:12 AM       
Happycore? What the fuck is happycore? There's enough cores already. We've got Sadcore, Slowcore and Grindcore. Do we need another one? An example of a happycore band would satisfy my curiosity.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:29 PM       
Happy Hardcore is fast bouncy hardcore electronica, generally with female vocals and upbeat happy lyrics.

Download:

Bang! - "Shooting Star" and "Cloudy Daze"
Brisk and Trixxy - Eye Opener

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:23 PM       
i think YoYo did Eye Opener

here's some happy hardcore:

YoYo - Eye Opener
Luna C - Piano Obsession
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
Yeah, I don't know the happycore all that well, the Brisk + Trixxy spin of Eye Opener is the only one I have and it's one of the popular ones on Kazaa.

Whoops. :/