Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBlood View Post
Btw, finding out that your Girlfriend is into boardgaming is one of those beautiful moments in a relationship
That = truth
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM       
Even better is when someone like that listenes to you explaining a game and asks "could you...bring that over this weekend?"
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM       
That looks awesome Pent. I didn't even know that was a thing. I take it you're going?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:56 AM       
I wish it wasn't in columbus.(too far for me at least for a casual drive) definitely take pictures.
drifting in the void
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 04:08 AM       
I´d be really interested to see pics of Origins too, since I´ve heard so much about it in the Podcasts. I´ll try to take some Pics of Essen too this year
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM       
Quote:
Iīd be really interested to see pics of Origins too, since Iīve heard so much about it in the Podcasts. Iīll try to take some Pics of Essen too this year
I wonder if it is the same guys who were at the Dice Tower Podcast booth, they were giving away a couple prizes and such at their booth
drifting in the void
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM       
Concerning Origins, all my info comes from the Dice Tower so I guess it would be Tom and Eric or whoever was at the booth

Something new, the last thing for a while as it seems:

Nightfall. Agressive Deckbuilding, a variant I didn´t have in my collection until now. The whole comboing and kicker-mechanics seem really interesting, I´ll guess I´ll be playing it this weekend or something like that.

Also played 7 wonders in the 2-player-variant. Works really well and has a slightly different feel to it as both players manipulate the 3rd board to fit their plans. Not the same as with 3 or more players but still highly enjoyable.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM       
I have pics of the Nightfall demo in the Origins 2011 thread. I liked it, GF thought it was too confusing.

A CABS member told me about the 2 player variant of 7 Wonders while I was working off my free pass on the last day of Origins
drifting in the void
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:52 AM       
My GF thought so too, especially since she doesn´t read and speak english as much as I do, so she had difficulties understanding what the cards do.

But, as she got the keywords, she was pretty interested AND she won the first round by a long shot...I think she had 4 wounds and I had 14 or something like that :D

I think the hardest thing, apart from teaching the game in a different language in my case, is explaining the chains and kickers, plus the fact that you actually lose your starting deck and that you can keep as many cards in your hand as you want.

Anyway, so far I think it´s a really decent game. Fast, easy to play, kinda elegant. The theme...meh, I think I´ve had about enough of Vamps and Dogboys but whatever. My GF thought so too so the strange noseless Vampire is little Fritz now and Tag-Team-Takedown is now Giant Hug or something :D

Looking forward to playing it some more this weekend.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM       
I agree that the Vamps vs. Lycans thing is tired. But I was tired of it back before Twilight made it even worse so I am kind of numb to the theme itself

Another Vamps. and Lycans game you gotta try though is Shadow Hunters, but you need at least 6 players for it to be really fun. Think Clue but everyone can hurt/kill each other.
drifting in the void
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM       
I actually happen to own Shadow Hunters in both the japanese and german Version (Jäger der Nacht). A really really nice partygame but I agree, the more people play, the more fun it is. Clearly superior to all those "normal" Werewolf-hidden-team-games since no one has to leave the room or close his eyes when someone tries to identify someone else.

Btw, I never understood where the whole Werewolf versus Vampire matchup-stuff came from. I mean yeah, about the same geopgraphic origin but still, you don´t match up a sphinx versus a mummy, do you?
drifting in the void
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:22 AM       
Okay, 5 games of Nightfall later, we still like it, and that darn woman is in the lead with 3 wins Luckily she likes the game a lot.

As for my opinion...it´s really good. The lack of different cards is bad and good at the same time, as always. Bad because the game has less combinations that way, good because you learn the existing ones better when they show up all the time.

The speed of our turns has vastly inceased taking under 30 seconds most of the time, making Nightfall a really quick game. The only time the whole thing slows down is when one of us needs more time to work out his chain or when reworking our hands to react to the opponent´s chain. Both of us use the Kickers way more often which makes us stronger but also more predictable because each card can only kicker 2 other cards in the base-set.

If you like destroying your opponent, managing your ressources, having a combination-element like in UNO (or Mau Mau, the game that inspired Uno) all together in a quick small game, I´d really recommend Nightfall to you. Really good stuff.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM       
Quote:
Btw, I never understood where the whole Werewolf versus Vampire matchup-stuff came from. I mean yeah, about the same geopgraphic origin but still, you donīt match up a sphinx versus a mummy, do you?
Don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just quote-link to the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
Vampires vs. Werewolves
drifting in the void
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM       
Hmmm...I think I want a Ticket to Ride-Game...looks like easy-to-teach fun
drifting in the void
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM       
I think the combination of tactical planning and set-collection might be a lot of fun...well, aparently it is, considering how many people love that series.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM       
You guys will like this. http://www.vimeo.com/26165368
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's armyThrashO has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
For the men, at least. All the women who played the game said it was too confusing.
This is why I love playing poker and whoever is hosting the game has invited a ton of girls to play "lol why do i even have cards is it time to get naked yet?"

Anyone ever play a game called Rail Baron?

My girlfriend wanted it really bad because she used to play it all the time as a kid, so looking for a copy on ebay for her birthday I found a copy, complete, for $100 It's apparently really rare.

Really fun game though. Basically it's a map of the US and there are different tracks all around the board. You roll, you buy railroads, others suckers use your tracks then they have to pay you. You can also buy "Steam engines" or "Super Cabs" which let you roll an extra dice or two every turn. Once the game starts picking up it's alot of fun.

Click to see some board game "winners"!
Spoilers!
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM       
http://www.vimeo.com/26875084

I kinda wanna play Descent.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM       
On one hand I want to play it too, on the other hand I expect it would suffer from the same issues Hero Quest suffered from. Getting the same people to play week after week is difficult because those type of players are usually playing D&D instead
drifting in the void
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 03:35 AM       
I have do admit, I donīt like games that need a Master to play, mainly because I always have to be that guy and I hate to orchestrate games when I could have an adventure at the same time :D

Which is why I love Coop-Games or good asynch-2 player-games like Claustrophobia.

Iīm really looking forward to Essen this year, I already know Iīll burn so much money there...and I donīt even know how to transport all those games...just because I feel like it, hereīs a list of the things I wanna get.

Quarriors (if I canīt it earlier, Amazon lists it for the end of this month)
Elder Sign (to replace Arkham Horror basically since we never have enough time to play that game)
Gears of War the Boardgame
Dungeon Run
Super Dungeon Explore (cause itīs SUPER )
Ares Project
Blood Bowl Card game
Eminent Domain
Dominant Species
Dragon Rampage

Those are the ones that I could list from the top of my head though not all of them are really necessary. What I really want are Quarriors and the Gears game, that looks like simple and fast Coop-Fun on random maps which is awesome.