Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM       
Im not a fan of moral relativism and quite frankly, people judge people all the time. If you sir would like to come on here and claim to be above that then so be it. If looting and lawlessness is completely justified in your mind, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

In mine, there is no justification for taking advantage of a horrible situation to get yourself a new pair of Nike's, a diamond chain, or a 9mm. Not saying that's everyone, but there are plenty doing it and that's disgusting in my eyes becuase clearly I'm a pretentious, insensitive prick.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM       
Yep. I'm a fascist for thinking that the law needs to be enforced using extreme force under extreme circumstances. You'd only have to shoot a few people before the rest of them remembered that looting is illegal.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM       
Right, and the absolute best way to enforce existing law is to practice it in its most extreme form.

You do know that we don't shoot first as the norm here, right? I'm not familiar with the workings on how to deal with "animals" in Canada....
Resident Chimp
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM       
OH NOES! LET'S PULL OUT TEH SILLY CANADIAN JOKES LOLZ

In other news:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...h/1282151.html Check the date

And they should be playing this song to get people to leave faster:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tragi...issinking.html
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
OH NOES! LET'S PULL OUT TEH SILLY CANADIAN JOKES LOLZ
Funny. But actually, I think the emphasis was on the "animals" coment, which secures you a nomination for the "suspiciously veiled comment of the year" award.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
If looting and lawlessness is completely justified in your mind, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
did i fucking say that? all i was trying to say is that they are in a totally fucked up situation, and deserve at LEAST as much slack as those jackasses in LA who rioted over that Rodney King beating.

i do NOT think all the looters are justified in their actions, but i'm really not shocked by them, cuz i kind of think people are assholes, even the ones who go on at length about how morally superior they are.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM       
Quote:
do NOT think all the looters are justified in their actions, but i'm really not shocked by them, cuz i kind of think people are assholes, even the ones who go on at length about how morally superior they are.
Are you referring to you or me? Kind of ironic don't you think that you're judging my judgement of others and making veiled references to what you think my sense of moral superiority might be?

By the way, yes, I am morally superior to thugs and criminals stealing things they don't need to survive. Deal with it.
Mocker
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:47 PM       
not you specifically. but sure, i think you're an asshole, too.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
But be real, when civil society GOES BYE BYE, so do most people's ethics. Whatever, it's fucked up.
Maybe from now on I'll only post in response to extremely "right-wing" things supposedly liberal folks say to point out how a lot of you confuse liberalism (or conservatism for that matter) with authoritarianism.

Ziggy, how do you feel about the idea that society and the structure it "provides" GIVES US our sense of ethics? If I were Judge Roy Moore and I wanted to move to your state in order to join the government and GIVE YOU a better sense of ethics, would you be Ok with that? What you've said so far leads me to agree *gasp* with AChimp's assassment that you are a closet looter yourself.

Society and government comes from us. We don't exist or thrive because society allows us the privilege. If your sense of ethics is something you get from society, doesn't that mean that the only reason you're not completely un-ethical is because you're simply keeping up appearances for your neighbors?

You also seem to have a hard time drawing a line between those that steal bread and those that steal Plasma Televisions. The motivations are entirely different, aren't they?

Since I'm already typing, my solution would be to fence the whole area off and let it stabilize itself once all those that don't want to live in MadMaxWaterWorld are safely out. Give it about two months, time which could be spent devising a good way to pump all that water out, and send some teams in to hunt down/ dig up the piles of jewelry, Nikes and useless electronic booty the looters hoarded up and likely died defending.

Whatever is recovered can be turned over to the insurance companies which actually DO cover acts of God like windstorms and whatnot. They don't cover FLOODs unless flood insurance is purchased separately, and they don't cover those that didn't purchase coverage, and some policies might have funky stipulations for those that live in coastal areas, but if a windstorm knocks your house or business down and you have insurance, your stuff is likely covered.

Insurance companies have gone out of business due to previous hurricanes. That's probably not because they don't cover hurricanes, wouldn't you think?

Chances are those that are stealing TVs in New Orleans haven't suffered some sort of major change in their ethics and/or personalities because they "lost everything they had." It's much more likely that they are the same people now as they were before the storm and they probably never had much to lose in any sense.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM       
Quote:
i do NOT think all the looters are justified in their actions
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Yeah it's sad that when the shit hits the fan we act like the animals we are, but I'd bet you wouldn't do much better in their shoes.
Quote:
If my car, my house, and all my stuff were suddenly gone, and I was too poor to afford insurance, I'd give thought to going into that jewelry store and recouping some losses.
Quote:
If I didn't know where my next meal was coming from and I was hearing gunfire in the streets, I wouldn't have to think twice about swiping a shotgun and some shells from the Walmart.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Resident Chimp
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM       
Pwned.
Mocker
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rock
I'm not saying he should have killed her, but I understand
i can feel sorry for someone and think they're doing the wrong thing at the same time. why is this so hard for you to understand?[/quote]
ˇOlé!
xbxDaniel is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM        Damn guys...
The shit going on down south is pretty serious right now. Just try and donate if you can, and don't bash others for not jumping out of their chair at their computer to run down there and help them all.

About the looters though, I don't aprove of the actions and I can see why people are pissed about it. I do agree that looters should be penalized somehow. I think murder is a pretty big penalty though, and I don't think they should be shot as soon as they are caught. I don't know all the facts and I won't pretend that I do, I just hope this all settles down within a month. I just hope the news doesn't keep whoring the story though, the world's pretty depressing as it is.

Please donate if you can or have the means, or just chill out at home and hope for the best. Just don't be an ass to the true victims, the looters I don't really care if you piss on them.