Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:38 AM        Anyone else give up yet?
Do any of you find yourselves saying, "I wish they'd just start the war and get it over with"? I know it's wrong, but I also know that it's inevitable, and nothing is going to stop Bush. I just hate feeling so goddamn browbeaten. None of the people in charge are listening to any kind of reason, and they're further alienating us from a lot of countries that already hate us.

I'm very concerned about the gobal climate that will result from this war. I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the world gets tired of this shit. There's strength in numbers. Empires fall. History shows that. We are not invincible. I feel like we're teetering on the edge of a big downhill slope right now, and the Bush Family Show is about to send us over the edge.

As for anyone who thinks I'm an alarmist, fuck you. The pivotal points in history are those stupid decisions made by unreasonable or insane men.
________
What Temperature Do You Set A Vaporite Vaporizer For Best Use

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:54 AM       
Well, so far, the man who wanted to be a 'Uniter, not a divider' has divide the UN, Nato, the EU, the accused from their lawyers, certain US citizens from their constitutional rights and has further divided the ultra rich and everyone else in our country.

I too want this 'Over', but I think the actual invasion will be the begining and not the end.
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM       
Exactly, Max, and that's what's even worse- the realization of, "Oh, damn, if we start bombing them, there will be further repercussions resulting from that." Then I feel even worse. It's just a disgusting feeling of helplessness, and I hate it. I keep thinking of that One Guy who said, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."
________
Chrysler ab platform history

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:03 PM       
Who was that?
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:05 PM       
Lenny Bruce?
________
Uggs

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM       
I know what you mean, Spad, but I think the best thing we can do is hang onto whatever hope we can and keep loudly voicing our dissent.

There was an interesting tidbit from that collection of news clippings that I posted in that other thread:

"If bombs start falling on Iraq, peace activists say, expect insurgency at home.

"Demonstrators are planning to shut down San Francisco's Financial District, to gather by the thousands in New York's Times Square and stage sit-ins in Washington, D.C. Others are ready to try to breach security at Vandenberg Air Force Base in Southern California, where many of the military targeting operations will be done for an Iraq bombing campaign. They're going not just to protest, but to interfere. 'We have the possibility of disrupting operations that feed directly into the Iraq war in a limited but very real way,' says Peter Lumsdaine, coordinator of the Military Globalization Project, the group that's organizing the Vandenberg action.

"Until now, most of the big antiwar demonstrations, especially in the United States, have been peaceful, preplanned, law-abiding events. Permits have been secured, routes mapped, and stages set up. The next phase in the antiwar movement is likely to be far more spontaneous and chaotic. Frustrated by a government they say is ignoring their voice, galvanized by the imminence of war, activists are moving from protest to direct action. . . .

"Paul Berman, author of the recent book 'Terror and Liberalism,' is a veteran of the '60s peace movement and an opponent of the Bush administration, but he believes no good can come of war opponents rampaging through the streets. 'This is just going to create a real crisis within the country,' he says. 'It's a completely destructive thing to do.'"
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:19 PM       
Violent protest is wrong and will only discredit the cause. I think the most effective thing the Peace Movement can do is make sure that annyplace the media does stand ups from has a constant anti-war presence. There's no way to get into the Pentagon briefing room, but every shot of the whitehouse, capitol hill, etc. should have protesters in it all the time.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:27 PM       
Oh, I agree that violent protest is NOT a good idea. But I think it'll be interesting to see just what insane lengths people will go to as this thing wears on and gets worse.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:16 PM       
I've been getting that feeling of "let's get it over with already" more and more lately. It's mainly that I'm tired of feeling like the world's going to hell ever so slowly and would rather skip ahead to the climax. I'm kind of torn between the egotistical 'just want things to be over, life back to normal and war being distant', and 'got to protest, got to remember'.

One other thing that's been on my mind, is what happens when Bush does swiftly move on to Iran or North Korea after Iraq. After what's happened in anticipation of this war, I've no doubt that the next one would put the unity of the UN and EU to the ultimate test.