Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:55 AM        Shadow of Rome
I really like this game. I hadn't seen any press on it prior to buying it despite it being a Capcom game.

The story is a bit of historical fiction regarding the events following the death of Julius Ceasar. Of course, the whole game has kind of an odd feel to it, probably due to it being the Japanese take on ancient Rome. That said, it's got all the cliched characters you could ask for: the strong, brash hero; the whiny, effeminate sidekick; the strong, evil guy who initially beats up the hero but loses in a rematch; et al.

Anyway, the gameplay for the most part is gladiatorial combat wherein you compete in a variety of different scenarios, most of which boil down to you killing everyone else. You pick up weapons, armor, etc. from the arena floor, and if you play to the crowd by performing fancy moves and showing off, the audience will throw you some food, and even some high end weaponry.

The combat is really visceral. The sharp weapons can shear off limbs and slice people in half, and the blunt weapons can break bones and explode heads. Plus, each specific act of violence has a point total attributed to it, such as suplexing a dizzy foe or killing a foe who has just pissed himself.

The only downside, aside from the goofy anime-style plot, is that the action segments are broken up periodically by some annoying, dead simple stealth segments featuring the afforementioned effeminate guy. Fortunately, the AI is dumber than three hours of Newlyweds, and you can ditch pursuing guards simply by rounding a corner.

I say get it. The combat is what the game is really about, despite attempts to diversify with the steach portion, and it delivers.

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM       
I was actually really interested in getting this, too. If Boogie likes it, it must be good :O
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM       
Oh yeah. There's nothing like backing one of the giant guys against a wall and unleashing a Tornado Maximus on him.

Lord Felch Demon
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:14 PM       
Can you cut someone's guts out? If so, i think this game was made for me
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:30 PM       
You should be able to crucify people.
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:06 AM       
from the moves i pulled so far there wasn't any pulling on the guts

just alot of arm severing arm breaking blood everywhere and fighting tigers
__"Offff all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"Loook, its a signature.'why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?'CaboooseSports is dead, I'm his freakin ghost, deal with it.iThe following sentance is true....
The above statement was false....
Funky Dynamite
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM       
You can cut people in half with the halberd and the Magnus, giving you the Red Volcano bonus, but no actual organs are shown.

Lord Felch Demon
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM       
That still sounds pretty goddamned cool. I can't imagine cutting someone in half is any less satisfying than tearing Athenians in half in God of War, which has to be one of the most enjoyable things in gaming right now.