Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 02:21 AM        console mods
it's something i do for fun sometimes :o i don't know if it's super common knowledge or not the fun things you can do with consoles so i thought it might be entertaining to share some stuff as i do it. if people are interested i'll keep talking into the future forever :o this isn't meant to be any kind of tutorial but i'll answer questions if you have them, above all i want everyone to know this is something anyone can do :o

i got some chipz today so i'll start with gamecube. though there's not a ton of stuff you can do with a gamecube maybe its a bad idea :< i'm doing this so someone can use a gameboy player cuz they lost or broke the disc i dunno.

i got some xenogcs from hongkong, compared to the PICs you can use in other consoles these are kinda expensive :< but not too terrible. as you can see they're about the size of my human thumbnail so don't be shocked if you get one :o i think its just an ATMEGA8 on a custom pcb but if i'm wrong you can tell me.

10000 screws later i get to the underside of the drive assembly. everything is tiny in here, this board is about the size of my fist :< i marked some stuff here for you the consumer. the potentiometer there can be adjusted if your cube has trouble reading discs, and if you want to install this chip in a way that makes it possible to deactivate then you'll want to put a switch on either the 5v or the ground. noone on the internet seems to want to tell you where the 5v is so i will tell everyone today.

that looks terrible forgive me :< i put some hotglue on the chip to keep it from wiggling while my shaky hands tried to ease tiny wires into their new homes forever. the xeno chips were sold on the idea of being wireless, and its weird shape is to fit over the area on the board its meant to connect to. i put on a toggle switch whenever i put in a chip just in case something exists oneday that doesn't like it, i think the gcos drive injection fights with this chip so a toggle will allow everyone to be happy.

here it is running a burned copy of mario kart, the switch is just one i had randomly in my box of switches but it kinda looks like it belongs there i guess :o i got that tv because it was $5 and looked like a robot head.

if you're frightened of soldering there is a software mod that exists. i don't know where to buy this anymore, it was kinda hard to find a couple years ago even :< i don't care for it a lot because it involves disc swapping and relies completely on the disc that comes with it. if it's damaged then everything is over for you :o but it does work well.

so what's the benefits of this for a cubehead? :o there are some emulators, though it's a little anemic. i've heard that among the several snes emulators that exist there is a decent one, but i haven't tested them out yet. nes and genesis work good on pretty much anything. by recycling the code nintendo themselves used to emulate ocarina of time there is a small list of n64 games that can be played also. and i guess if youre a super nerd you can try using the linux port to use your gc as a multimedia terminal or a thinclient. but because ethernet adapters are so rare and expensive nintendo made cube modification a relative bore :<

i dunno what i'm doing later, i'll try to get to ps2s soon cuz they can do all kinds of fun things.