Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM       
Afghan is cooling down internally, and only external violence is keeping any sort of flame burning.

Iraq is going to explode in our faces. I say, set them up with another imperialistic dictator, and warn him that if he screws with the U.S., we going to nuke his country next time.

And I feel that Pat is now a hero. Someone you can admire. He was already set up with money, women, cars, and he brushed that aside to fight for his country. How many people, honestly, can do that? Not many. And that makes him a hero, dead, but still a hero.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Adobo
I don't think there will ever be a draft either, but more and more people high up in the government are thinking it would be a good idea. They say the Military is just full of "blue collar" kids.
Who? One congressman? The draft is brought up every session of congress. The only reason we hear so much about it now is because we are in major conflicts and we have the internet to tell us what everybody says on their way to the crapper.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM       
http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/31188/view?viewtype=

Senator Chuck Hagel, along w/ a few other senators, Democrat and Republican, have been discussing the options of improving America's standing military. A draft has come into concideration.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM       
Oh now that's just rhetoric, Bobo! Enough already! They're ignorant, that's ignorant!
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM       
I know thats Rhetoric(probably shouldn't have posted it but I need something), but it is a fact that Chuck Hagel and others have spoken about the draft. People are trying to find ways to improve America's Standing military.

I'm not saying there will be a draft, I'm just saying the fact that people are actually concidering it is sorta disturbing.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:10 PM       
It is always brought up. But as soon as a politician hears it, he also hears the words "political suicide".
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:25 PM       
If the word "fungible" isn't political suicide, then neither is the word "draft."

I do however tend to agree with you, I just have a problem calling the discussion "rhetoric." It isn't rhetoric, there are several people in elected office who are lobbying for this, and probably many more who would do so if they didn't think it was (as you said) "political suicide."
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
I don't think this guy's death is any more or less tragic than all the others, non-Americans included.
Rather than say this man is getting too much publicity, I'd say that the "common" soldiers aren't getting enough. This is just an unusual case that the media chose to jump on but, if it serves to keep our military members serving overseas fresh in our hearts and minds, then I'll concede that the ends justifies the means in this case.

Wherever you go, there you are.