Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM        Neconservatives Are Anti-American
I think it's interesting how this war has created allies out of liberals, libertarians, and paleoconservatives.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts44.html

Neoconservatives Are Anti-American

by Paul Craig Roberts

Is Bush correct when he reassures his war fans that torture is not indicative of American values?

Or is the US government merely treating Iraqis the same way it treated Randy Weaver’s family at Ruby Ridge, the Branch Davidians at Waco, Texas, and Gordon Kahl’s family at Medina, ND?

Why expect the US government to show more restraint to Iraqis than it shows its own citizens?

In view of the atrocities the federal government has committed against its own citizens, what is unusual in the US Army report that details "egregious acts" of cruelty and barbarism committed against Iraqi prisoners by US forces?

Why are we surprised that the CIA has launched an investigation of murder of Iraqi prisoners by US guards in Abu Ghraib prison, or that a French TV station has a video of a US helicopter gunship mowing down unarmed Iraqi civilians, or that evidence has come to light that the US is torturing prisoners in Afghanistan as well?

When Bush says that torture is not indicative of American values, he is speaking of the old America, the America of restraint, the America that did not believe that the ends justify the means, a classically educated America that understood that hubris brings nemesis.

The new emerging America is Jacobin. Its will to power has cast off restraint. Its inherent and unique virtue gives it the right – Bush says the duty – to exercise unlimited power in the name of enforcing American values elsewhere in the world.

The new aggressive spirit of America is embodied in the neoconservative ideology that drives the Bush administration. Professor Claes Ryn describes this new spirit in his recent book, America the Virtuous.

It is an imperialistic spirit whose arrogant moral purpose justifies mowing down whatever is seen to stand it its way. Those most imbued with this spirit are trapped firmly within it. If Iraqis resist military imposition of US values, then they must be "thugs and outlaws" deserving to be exterminated for standing in the way of America’s virtue and superior morality.

Only evil people would resist the good we are imposing on them. Thus has Bush cast the conflict as one of good vs. evil.

Some US soldiers have caught the spirit that Bush has infused into the conflict. If you pay attention to Bush’s speeches, you will see that he is trying to infuse this spirit into the American people.

Beware. It is an evil spirit. Because it brooks no objection, it will bring a police state at home and death and destruction abroad, just as the Jacobins brought to 18th century France and Europe.

Americans must understand that the neo-Jacobin spirit that guides the Bush administration is anti-American. It is not unpatriotic to resist this spirit. It is the same evil spirit that motivated Deutschland uber alles (Germany over all). Just as the Nazi claim to be the master race trumped all traditional moral standards, the neoconservatives claim that America is uniquely virtuous justifies America’s domination over the rest of the world.

Unless Americans stand firm against this spirit, Americans will endure endless wars and great disasters.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:53 AM       
Politics makes strange bedfellows.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:54 PM       
Paleocons, (most) libertarians and liberals are so fucking short-sighted. Do they believe that not attacking the people who want to destroy you will make them not mad at you?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:58 PM       
The First Rule of Writing: Don't Use No Double Negatives.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:34 AM       
wait, wait...I thought neoconservatives were those who drifted away from the Left because of their support for conservative anti-Communist policies. this makes them pro welfare state and pro immigration, and pro centralization amongst other things. what are you exactly, vince?

I'm proudly paleocon.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Paleocons, (most) libertarians and liberals are so fucking short-sighted. Do they believe that not attacking the people who want to destroy you will make them not mad at you?
you should post more. Laughing at retards is a hobby of mine.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux
Quote:
you should post more. Laughing at retards is a hobby of mine.
I guess when you stand in front of the mirror it's like Def Comedy Jam.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM       
Vinth is a Boorthian Liberatian with neo-con leanings and just a dash of Facism.
The Center Square
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM       
Neal Boortz is just a Rush Limbaugh clone pretending to be "different."
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:28 AM       
And with a sprinkle of oregano, you too can make these delicious dishes right in your own home.
The Center Square
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM       
Quote:
Paleocons, (most) libertarians and liberals are so fucking short-sighted.
So Vince, by "most" libertarians, do you mean real ones like Lew Rockwell and not closeted neconservatives like your buddy Boortz?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM       
Vince probably still identifies the word libertarian with the LP.

Anyway, I'm suprised you posted an article by Lew Rockwell. He's one of the anarcho-capitalist paleolibertarians (early libertarians who are a bit more friendly towards social conservatism than most modern libertarians).
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:06 AM       
I'm sorry, I just think any time you need four or more terms to describe what you are, you should be disqualified.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:16 AM       
Everytime I see those long names for political affiliations, I think of Life of Brian with the Peoples' Front of Judea and the Judean Peoples' Front.