Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Forum Virgin
JESmith is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM        ROM Hack Sumbmission: Cool Punch-Out and All New Punch Out
Hey guys.

I have two great Punch-Out hacks for you guys to look over that I'd like to see you guys review:
Phred's Cool Punch-Out and The All New Punch-Out

Both feature altered boxers and the between round text has been changed. The All New Punch Out features better sprite editing that Cool Punch-Out, but Cool Punch-Out is way funnier.

Phred's Cool Punch-Out by Master Phred:
http://www.angelfire.com/co2/terrancephillip/romz.html
(Its near the bottom of the page, also the maker of this hack is currently making a sequel: Phred's Cool Punch-Out 2 Turbo! Right now only the Beta for that is available, with the game running at double speed and only Soda Popinski, Piston Honda, and Mr. Dream have been altered in that one so far. Still, give it a try if you want to play Punch-Out with the added challenge of the game going faster)

All New Punch-Out by RatedJPG:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZQ706FR

These are both great hacks, and be sure to try them both! I hope Dr.Boogie or RoG covers these in the future; I'd love to see you do a decent quality hack.

Last edited by JESmith : May 30th, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM       
We'll check 'em out sometime. I think I've seen the first one before actually.

Also, for future reference, please email any ROM Hack Review suggestions to webmaster@i-mockery.com.

Thankee!
Forum Virgin
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM       
Yeah the first one's been around for a long time, but up until now it has been incomplete. He recently released the final revisison where all the graphical errors of the previous versions(Such as glitched character portraits and Sandman and MachoMan's portarits were unaltered) have been fixed.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM       
So are you one of the guys who made these hacks or are you just a fan of 'em and want to see 'em reviewed? Doesn't matter either way really, just curious...
Forum Virgin
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM       
No, I didn't make either one. I'm just interseted in seeing you guys tackle a decent rom hack for once.
Pickled Patriarch
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM       
Decent ROM hacks? Why would we do that when we can continue to review ones that make us throw up in our mouths?
Forum Virgin
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM       
Well, aside from it being decent Cool Punch-Out has so much crazy stuff in it(Such as the altered fighters and their bios, like as Tyson being replaced by a demon boxer from Hell, and the new in-between round text. Plus, they altered Soda Popinski into Voda Drunkenski), it has plenty of material for you guys to work off of.
Forum Virgin
SonAMaGun_1990 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM       
I have played both versions and I like the All New? Punch-Out!! way better for a number of reasons:

- Most of the characters have been edited to be boxers from other versions of Punch-Out!! and the rest as characters from other Nintendo franchises, so they share the same universe and it feels like a true Punch-Out!! 2.
- There is a story to this version as it's based on the excellent and very popular "Punch-Out!! trailer" by Team Awesome (as seen on Youtube)
- The dialog is chock full of Nintendo references and spotting them is half the fun. (Captain N Show, Wii, other Nintendo games, etc.) For me the new script was more entertaining here.
- Many subtle details like the new colors for the rings (spaceship level = kickass), Von Kaiser as Mac's coach, Wario as referee, invisible lifebar in some fights, etc.
-In general, this version is more family-friendly than the others.

I'm not saying other versions are bad (except for the infamous Nude Punch-Out!!) but The All New?... has been so extensively hacked and with such quality it could be given an official release (which, I know, will never happen). RatedJpG did a great... no, he did an AWESOME job.
Closed Thread