Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM        Chief Justice Roberts?
Okay, if i were really cynical, I would say that Team Bush is just a tad bit happy that they can squeeze this under the radar during the katrina stuff, no?

Does this nomination make sense? I mean, he is clearly qualified. He was also clearly going to get nominated pretty easily, which is brilliant on the part of the Republicans, because for the Democrats to oppose him now would look like a contradiction, and every GOP goon would bring some flip flops or something to the hearings.

But shouldn't someone be raised up internally maybe? It certainly is the president's perogative to maintain a conservative leadership on the Court, but Roberts?

Does Gonzales get the nod now too, or will the Christian-Right nut jobs continue to oppose that....?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM       
I'm sure we'll be hearing about it, but what are the stats on internal promotion vs. outside appointment?

Also, what power does the chief justuce have that other justices don't?

Of course, if it was an internal, it would probably be Scalia, so I suppose we should count our blessings.
Mocker
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I'm sure we'll be hearing about it, but what are the stats on internal promotion vs. outside appointment?
Not sure, good question, and yes, I'm sure we'll be inundated with it shortly.

Quote:
Also, what power does the chief justuce have that other justices don't?
He/she runs the every day administrative-type functions of the court, has a say in what cases are heard and when, and also decides who writes the leading opinion on decisions. They generally dictate the overall "tone" of the Court, like Warren and Renhquist did.

Quote:
Of course, if it was an internal, it would probably be Scalia, so I suppose we should count our blessings.
Some were saying bush should nominate O'Connor for Chief, and try to encourage her to stay on for a while. I dunno, I don't know that nominating Roberts for it is a huge deal, but it seems sort of sudden for a guy who was suppose to just start his basic nomination hearings today.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:37 PM        Re: Chief Justice Roberts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Okay, if i were really cynical, I would say that Team Bush is just a tad bit happy that they can squeeze this under the radar during the katrina stuff, no?
OMG! Bu$h killed Rhenquist! And then he made the hurricane happen all this so he could cover for the fact the HE DID 9/11!!!!!!!

And he killed JFK, RFK, and UPS.

sorry, it jumped at me as soon as I read it.

Quote:
But shouldn't someone be raised up internally maybe? It certainly is the president's perogative to maintain a conservative leadership on the Court, but Roberts?
I was following a discussion about this on another board and no one could give a deffenite answer. Its pretty much up to the president's discretion.

Quote:
Does Gonzales get the nod now too, or will the Christian-Right nut jobs continue to oppose that....?
Nah, I think we need another chick on the bench.
Mocker
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM       
Women only cause problems.

"OMG! Bu$h killed Rhenquist! And then he made the hurricane happen all this so he could cover for the fact the HE DID 9/11!!!!!!!

And he killed JFK, RFK, and UPS."

I don't think he would've nominated Roberts for this, so quickly anyway, if the media weren't otherwise preoccupied.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM       
Make Gonzales get a boob job. Sex change is too much to ask, but I bet for a set of Supreme Court Robes he'd get a boob job.