Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM        Bush Accepts McCain's Ban on torture
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1409844

Bush Accepts McCain's Ban on Mistreatment

President Bush Reverses Course and Accepts Sen. McCain's Language Banning Mistreatment

By LIZ SIDOTI
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - President Bush reversed course on Thursday and accepted Sen. John McCain's call for a law banning cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment of foreign suspects in the war on terror.

Bush said the agreement will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."

"It's a done deal," said McCain, talking to reporters in a driving rain outside the White House.

Under the deal, CIA interrogators would be given the same legal rights as currently guaranteed members of the military who are accused of breaking interrogation guidelines. Those rules say the accused can defend themselves by arguing it was reasonable for them to believe they were obeying a legal order.

"We've sent a message to the world that the United States is not like the terrorists," McCain said earlier as he sat next to Bush in the Oval Office.

The White House at one point threatened a veto if the ban was included in legislation sent to the president's desk, and Vice President Dick Cheney made an unusual personal appeal to all Republican senators to give an exemption to the CIA.

But congressional sentiment was overwhelmingly in favor of the ban, and McCain, a former Navy pilot who was held and tortured for five and a half years in Vietnam, adopted the issue.

The Republican maverick and the administration have been negotiating for weeks in search of a compromise, but it became increasingly clear that he, not the administration, had the votes in Congress.

Bush called McCain "a good man who's honored the values of America."

"We have worked very closely with the senator and others to achieve that objective as well as to provide protections for those who are the front line of fighting the terrorists," Bush said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM       
What? How can he boldly lie and say he's worked with McCain to achieve this, when he fought it every step of the way?

Do people really just not pay any attention?
Mocker
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM       
Whatever, Ziggy. Just because Rummy, Cheney, and everybody else in the administration opposed it, that doesn't mean the president actually did.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM       
I would be very surprised if this stops anyone being tortured.

However, I'm glad it's on record that when we do torture people we are breaking the law. That seemed pretty clear to me already, but not to the administration.

Now begins the endless backroom lawyerly discussion of how the words 'cruel' 'inhmuman' and 'degrading' are defined. After all, who's to say waterboarding is any of those things?

complimentary_toilet* is probably a spambot
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Whatever, Ziggy. Just because Rummy, Cheney, and everybody else in the administration opposed it, that doesn't mean the president actually did.
Well Bush is right up Cheney's ass. He's like their puppet! It's highly unlikely that he would oppose them.
Mocker
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:45 AM       
Thanks, chief.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Now begins the endless backroom lawyerly discussion of how the words 'cruel' 'inhmuman' and 'degrading' are defined. After all, who's to say waterboarding is any of those things?
Actually, I believe the administration is trying to get the terms "cruel" and "Inhuman" redefined in the official army field manual, which is probably the only reason Bush accepted this ban. He knew that in a few months time, it won't matter anyway.