Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:08 AM        The Manglor Mountain Volcanic Fortress Playset
Automatically generated comment thread for The Manglor Mountain Volcanic Fortress Playset.
Eating angry potatos.
CarpetGnome is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM       
MANG-LAVA! Well done, and I am quite depressed I missed out on these excellent toys, being born a little too late.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM       
Dude, you should do more toy videos. A guy called Actar does toy reviews on YouTube, but yours was unique and a rare insight into now extinct 1980s toy culture.

Your excitement over the Manglors made my heart smile, and your ingenuity in not sticking with the Mang-Slime because there wasn't enough of it makes me proud of you for thinking outside the box. More toy video articles please, they're hilarious!
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM       
is mang-lava made of mango?
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM       
"MANGLOR MOUNTAIN is a volcanic fortress developed by generations of MANGLOR wizards and magicians."

I could imagine that meeting..."kids like magic right?, Sure they do. Lets say the mountain was made by wizards, they'll eat that shit up."
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM       
The more I read it the funnier it gets. I mean not just a group of wizards one day, we are talking generations of wizards and magicians gathered and toiled year after year to build this mountain.
hanging out
stonewar is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM       
I think there was a commercial for the volcanic mountain playset. As soon as I saw the box in your first image. I remembered the Manglord (and other mang-things, cuz the commerical showed you could put the other guys in it) rising out of the bloody red (as it appeared on tv) slime.
I love slime. Dad would come home from the hardware store with those little trash cans of slime with the eyeballs in them sometimes. fond memories.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM       
You should've put in the mang-lave with the slime. Then it couldv'e mixed, forming MANG-SLIME.

Great article, though. The set looks like an evil gothic blender.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM       
I'm always surprised when I actually get to hear your voice. I tend to assume that everyone on the internet sounds a little like Mandark from Dexter's Lab.

Way to sound like you have testicles, Rog.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM       
CarpetGnome, that's what eBay is for. Just because you didn't grow up when those toys were all the rage, doesn't mean you can't still track them down and enjoy 'em.

JakeOfAllTrades, hehe thanks, I'll try to do more video reviews when I have the chance.

darkvare, unless mangos are made of highly volatile chemicals that can melt your soul... no, I don't think so.

Icculus, be careful what you say about the Mang-Wizards and Mang-Magicians. They may toil for years to come about how to Mang-Murder you for laughing at them. Man, you really can put "Mang-" in front of just about any word to make it better, can't you?

stonewar, was there really? I've seen a ton of old commercial collections and have never seen a commercial for that playset, nor do I remember ever seeing one for it when I was a kid. The only Manglors commercial I've seen is the one I included at the end of my video there. If you ever manage to find it it, let me know.

Angryhydralisk, if only that were true. The sad reality is that it would just be a fairly rigid clump of MANG-LAVA in a pool of Nickelodeon Slime. Sorry my friend, but the two are like oil 'n water.

Doctor_Who, thanks, but the only reason my voice only sounds like that is because I now gargle with MANG-LAVA on a daily basis.
DavidFullam is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM       
First time poster, long time reader. Back in the 1980s, the Manglors got a beating on a one shot HBO special, that was something of a Consumer Reports for kids. It told the tale of one young boy who wanted a refund from Ideal after he discovered that the torn Manglors didn't actually return to their original form after being ripped apart. Instead of a refund, he got all new Manglors instead.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM       
-RoG-, you are 100% right; there needs to be more iron maidens included in toys today (why isn't there a Lego one yet? It makes so much sense).

Also, I must give kudos to Ideal for including Betelgeuse in that origin story. After all, Ford and Zaphod are from a small planet near there, so it's an awesome place.
Forum Virgin
KrytenSyxx is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM       
Gotta love toys that they insist you break, only for the child to realise that the detached appendage will never again full mend back to the body. Those crafty marketing bastards!
skank pronger
Aries is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM       
I had Manglor Mountain! I saw the commercial for it and immediately had to get it. My uncle bought it for me one night. As I recall, Masters of the Universe had a slime pit type of thing around the same time. For one brief period in toy history, slime was the in thing. The only Manglor figure I had was the one that came with the mountain, and as I recall the whole thing was a bit of a letdown. After using the mountain you had to wash it out immediately or the slime would dry up and get crusty.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM       
Wow, that takes me back. I haven't seen those in what, 20+ years? I couldn't even remember what they were called. Good blast from the past RoG!
Fake Shemp
Ferrit is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM       
DO NOT IMMERSE MOUNTAIN

I love that
Forum Virgin
Aduross is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM       
Y'know, if they do indeed have a Mang-Lang, I wonder do they have Mang-Slang? Do the Mang-Scholars criticize the Mang-Youth for their Mang-disrepect of the Mang-Lang with their Mang-Slang? Are there Mang-Dialects in different parts of the Mang-Plantet? Are there deaf Manglors? Do they speak in Sign-Manguage? I think I need to lay down for a bit.
Scary guy
ScaryRedMonster is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM       
MangDemon looks absolutely fucking awesome.

Oh, I can cuss on the internet, right?
Forum Virgin
Darkfloyd is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:19 AM       
This is why I love I-mockery! Excellent job RoG, very funny and informative.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM       
Yah, Betelgeuse is technically the planet that Ford Prefect comes from in the Hitchiker's series, which makes it all the more surprising to see.
Official Punching Bag
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 05:37 AM       
All this emphasis on Mang reminds me of Scarface for some reason. *twiddles thumbs while people remember that movie*
100% Regulator
jo8136 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM       
heh good review. saw these in a thrift store awhile back. Almost bought them.
Former Virgin
Chuggernaught is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM       
Oh man, I could have made some amazing messes with those toys. I seem to remember Hordak had a play set that used slime as well.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM       
"Nooooo! You're decreasing the value!!!"

Seriously, thanks for letting us have this chance to regret missing out on the 80's even more. Mang-Lava.
Official Punching Bag
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM       
Thanks to eBay the 80s never dies, but the owners of said 80s trend toys will eventually die. Which means their kids will be playing with this stuff and not us if we want to buy it.

Another toy that I WAS born in the right time to enjoy was Monster in my Pocket, not Pocket Monsters which came after that, which you might like to do a piece on. There were also these really cool angry insect toys which my mother hated that you could get back in the 90s.

And please one day do an article on Mighty Max toys, I remember owning at least ten sets of those, including a Zombie themed set which was in the shape of a zombified hand, and this awesome Mighty Mountain set which was my generation's Manglor Mountain of a sort, only this one stood the test of time, as my Mighty Mountain is in storage with my other old toys.