Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:38 PM        Vinyl
Anybody collect? I just started colecting, and I have some nice orignals. VU live with Lou Reed 1969, Springsteen Darkness on the Edge, Marshall Crensahw self titled, Lou Reed New Sensations and the BElls.
crash0814 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:16 AM       
I never understood the purpose of having vinyl rather than just getting CD's. I especially don't understand vinyl enthusiasts who refuse to listen to CD's.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM       
That's because you also don't understand that vinyl actually offers a superior sound on the right set-up. The bass is much richer as well, but your ears probably aren't sensitive enough to pick up minute detail such as. Personally I like CDs a lot, just due to the fact they are cheaper and smaller.

I only occasionally collect vinyl, but I have some, mainly just Beatles stuff, other classics, and then KID A.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:28 PM       
I refuse to believe that vinyl offers a superior sound in any way.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:49 PM       
Then you are stupid. Vinyl is an anolog format, which means no processing is happening, which means no data is being lost. CD is digital, which means 1s and 0s are being converted into music, which means information will be lost, which means it is lossy. Lossy formats are worse than non-lossy formats. A scrath free record on a good syster, with good speakers (something I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate), will sound better.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
I'm a total fucking moron.
I know that already. You don't have to tell me.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:57 PM       
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

This further explains how stupid you really are.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:00 PM       
You know, Royal, did the thought ever cross your mind that I DON'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID AUDIOPHILIAC SHIT?!?!?! Just because you're a snotty asshole who thinks vinyl is superior doens't mean you have to throw your stupid scientific diagrams at me. I officially do not care whether scientific proof shows that vinyl has a higher quality sound. I am going to listen to CD's because they are better. Fuck off.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM       
Ha, well learn how to speak English then. What you said is that you 'refused to believe' that vinyl was better, not that you didn't care. You were wrong, just fucking admit it. Yes, you don't care, I don't either, but I still don't deny the facts.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:25 PM       
I've had enough of your nonsensical babbling. There's no point in talking to you because you are a fucking idiot.

Kill yourself and have a nice day.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:59 PM       
You've already lost. Just stop posting here.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:34 PM       
How much would a decent record player/speakers cost?

I don't know much about stereos and speakers : /

(I like collecting worthless stuff)
UNODIR
KILLADEUCE sucks
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM       
I'd wager you could prolly find some reasonable shit on e-bay- Bose makes a really good speaker system-

High end stuff would prolly be in the thousands- But I bet you could get a fairly good setup for about 500-800 (Cost mostly going to speakers)

Here is an interesting site i've found:

http://www.kabusa.com/ttables.htm#pg3a

I collect alot of vinyl myself. Mostly obscure shit that I use for samples and loops to make into breakbeats etc.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM       
bose makes pretty shitty speakers if you ask me, at least for the price...
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:52 PM       
Yeah, bose speakers smoke ass.
distance is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 09:27 PM       
to whom it may concern:

please buy me one of these:

http://www.elpj.com/

thank you.
Blackjack is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:24 AM       
Right, shut up, both of you.

I DJ and do sound engineering for bands, so I'm fully aware of the differents between CD, MD, DAT or your vinyl. Ultimately, it's a matter of choice.

CD's provide better quality sound and don't degrade with playing, but are easy to scratch to hell. Vinyl is pretty much indestructible but is easily overplayed. Also, vinyl has a nasty habit of scratching and popping on the track before you get to the main music. Vinyl is more fun to DJ with but is also a lot harder, whereas CDs just need putting into the player and pressing play. Easier to cue up to as well.

Vinyl is cooler because being wider but thinner, allows for cool album covers. CDs however, for all the shitty jewel cases which get broken easily, get a little booklet insead which is quite cute. My entire music collection is on CD (over 200 of 'em), and the only bit of Vinyl I own is an original 1986 Metallica "Master of Puppets" LP which I bought just because I love that album so much. I don't even own a record deck!

But I think the main difference is purely romantic. A vinyl is, after all, a piece of history. A CD is just a piece of plastic.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM       
I only use WAX CYLINDERS
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:16 PM       
Eh, I prefer CDs to vinyl... I've always liked the sound of CDs better. That being said, there's a lot of stuff out there that's not on CD and can only be found on vinyl, which can definitely make it worth collecting.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:34 PM       
I would really like to start collecting some vinyls, but cds are so damn convienent. I mean you can easily copy and rip them and take them anywhere.

I would never give up the convienence of cds for records, but at the same time i would love to get a decent player to listen to at home. I have a hard time deciding which i like better as far as sound goes though...but then again what i have compared on probaly isnt the highest end stereo..
wreckreation is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 06:05 PM       
If you wanna get down to it, DAT is the best format for quality. Thats why they mix it down to cd or whatever. Records were mixed down from reel to reels which are primitive DATs. I am almost completely willing to bet that any sound difference royal notices is purely in his head provided the systems are the same. The human ear only has specific ranges it hears between and specific frequencies it recognizes. No matter how well trained you are a few hz difference you will not notice. The compression could be better but with a good setup it sounds fine. Records only sound fuller because people bother to setup up record players to sound better and people don't seem to care as much about their cd systems sounding good. Dj's who play music for their profession are going to cd dj setups fast as fuck.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:30 PM       
" am almost completely willing to bet that any sound difference royal notices is purely in his head provided the systems are the same."

Did I actualy say I can notice most of the differences? No, I didn't. I merely schooled crashthedumbass's ass as to why vinyl is technically better sounding.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:29 PM       
Crashthedumbass, that's clever.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:17 PM       
My friend's parents have a whole bunch of vinyl. I think they have around 300 just in the one room, but I don't know about their basement.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:44 PM       
"My entire music collection is on CD (over 200 of 'em)"

You only have 200 CDs.