Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM       
Thanks for volunteering everybody.

I'll be in touch with you guys in the coming weeks when we have free slots open for the categories you're interested in. If you haven't volunteered yet, you can still do so at anytime in this thread.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM       
Indeed, thank you guys for making life a little easier on the rest of us.

I would like to say that I have already written reviews for the following that are in the can, however, so please refrain from writing about them:

Movies
The Room
Paranormal Activity (probably saving until next Halloween season)
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM       
Music and movies, if this whole shindig isn't already over with

I need something to write for, I haven't in three months
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM       
Maybe work on those comma splices before taking on another project.

That was very funny. Well done.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM       
And, no periods

It must his style, I don't know
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 01:46 AM       
umm my girlfriend is a writer and is looking to bulk up her portfolio. Would you accept submissions from her? Do the reviews have to be about things that came out recently, or can it be CLASsiXZ/things that should be classics but nobody has seen.
She'd probably do movies or maybe music or something probably preferably movies but I DUNNO EXACTLY

also my girlfriend is HILSZARIOUS.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM       
You should give everyone a topic, say, pre-revolutionary agrarianism in France, and then mark our attempts.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
umm my girlfriend is a writer and is looking to bulk up her portfolio. Would you accept submissions from her? Do the reviews have to be about things that came out recently, or can it be CLASsiXZ/things that should be classics but nobody has seen.
She'd probably do movies or maybe music or something probably preferably movies but I DUNNO EXACTLY

also my girlfriend is HILSZARIOUS.

I confirm the hilarity.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM       
I would have totally done this if it were a year or three ago, now that I don't write anymore. I might have considered it now if the topics involved news or current affairs, I could still make that pretty funny, but mehs to the menu.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM       
Quote:
umm my girlfriend is a writer and is looking to bulk up her portfolio. Would you accept submissions from her?
Anybody who has an account on the site can give it a try, but generally speaking, I like to see them posting on the forums a bit first so I can at least get some sense of what they're like. And yes, people can review things that are new or old. Just take a look at the main Weeklies index page and you'll see the wide variety of things we've covered since that section launched:

http://www.i-mockery.com/weeklies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345 View Post
I might have considered it now if the topics involved news or current affairs, I could still make that pretty funny, but mehs to the menu.
These reviews aren't necessarily about being funny, it's just about sharing an opinion about a particular release - be it a game, movie, comic or album - and any of those can fall under "current affairs" if you ask me.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM       
Are you kidding, this should be rather fun seeing as I do it just about everyday, just not for this site or any other for that matter).

Let me dib all over music and movies.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM       
I can do some music reviews. I can pm you a review or two when I'm in the mood, but I wouldn't want to have you rely on me. More like you can save them for rainy days.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM       
Basically what I'm doing is sending PMs to random people who replied to this thread expressing interest in a particular category. I'm only sending these PMs once per week when we have a particular slot open. So if you haven't received a PM from me yet asking you to do a Weekly, just give it time and your turn will eventually come up. It's very unlikely that anybody will have to do them two weeks in a row or anything like that as I intend to keep this guest spot on a rotating schedule so everybody has a chance to have a review posted.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM       
these should be a lot of fun to read :o

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM       
How far in advance will we recieve this pm? Should we write a couple articles ahead of time?
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM       
I would think that if you feel the spirit of review in you, you would write it and save it. Maybe submit it to www.moviewienerorwinner.com

BTW, has Six-String Samurai been officially reviewed / or is there an esay way to see whats been reviewed in alphabetical order?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM       
Quote:
I confirm the hilarity.
i have two mics now and my girlfriend sometimes wants to play LEFT 4 DEAD 2 with us :O :O

Quote:
Anybody who has an account on the site can give it a try, but generally speaking, I like to see them posting on the forums a bit first so I can at least get some sense of what they're like.
Well, I can understand that so I will leave the decision in your hands. but yea ;9 i think she already knows what she would review and had already started part of it :O maybe ill see if she would want to post on my account or somethin so you can get an idea of what she's like
ps the review she had been working on is for a movie so maybe that'd be the category if you decide its ok to accept a review from her.

Last edited by kahljorn : Jan 12th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM       
Braw, I don't think is the kind of thing that looks all that impressive in a portfolio anyway.

BANNED

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM       
I guess, but it really depends on what kind of writing job you're trying to get.
The Wolf
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM       
I guess the experience is always good, but since it's essentially rotating user submissions, I don't think it'd even be worth mentioning, in most cases. If she were a staff writer somewhere (even an unpaid one), that'd be worth a lot more.

Pickled Patriarch
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader View Post
How far in advance will we recieve this pm? Should we write a couple articles ahead of time?
Usually about a week in advance. As for writing a couple articles ahead of time, that's totally up to you really. In the off chance that your article was to never get used, you could always just post it here in the forums anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
BTW, has Six-String Samurai been officially reviewed / or is there an esay way to see whats been reviewed in alphabetical order?
See the Search box at the top of the page? That will search the entire site, including the Weeklies section, to let you know if it's been officially reviewed anywhere. So keep that in mind for future potential review material. But to answer your question, nope, that one hasn't been reviewed yet.

Quote:
maybe ill see if she would want to post on my account or somethin so you can get an idea of what she's like
ps the review she had been working on is for a movie so maybe that'd be the category if you decide its ok to accept a review from her.
Well, I'd recommend she have an account of her own unless she wants the review to list you as the writer, because all the reviews link back to the person's individual forum account name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
I guess the experience is always good, but since it's essentially rotating user submissions, I don't think it'd even be worth mentioning, in most cases. If she were a staff writer somewhere (even an unpaid one), that'd be worth a lot more.
Companies looking for writers always like to see people who simply enjoy the craft and do it for free as a hobby (can't tell you how many employers I've seen that often want to check out a person's blog & social networking crap), so while it's true that being a staff writer is worth more to an employer, being a volunteer writer never hurts either.
The Wolf
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM       
I suppose it'd depend on what kind of work you're trying to get into. I know that anything on a professional level is probably not the kind of thing you prep for by writing reviews. Writing is writing, yes, but anyone can do reviews...and most of 'em are pretty poor.

Gah. Fucking school is making me a (bigger) pompous dick.

BANNED

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:55 AM       
I'm not an idiot ;/
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM       
i right pretty gud
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM       
Hey Roger, can reviews for games fall in the category of classics ie. atari, nes, jaguar, etc....