Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM        Ex Justice O'connor says US tending toward dictatorship
I can't source the text yet because no US has covered the speech except NPR and now Slate reporting on NPR's coverage.

Apparently, in a speech Sandra Oconnor (a Reagan appointee) said in a speech that she felt the country, if it continued current political trends, was headed toward dictatorship. I'm sure it was hyperbole, but this is a pretty damning condemnation coming from a centrist juriist appointed during a Republican administration.

Oh, how powerful the Liberal bias of the press .
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM       
Man, I equate her retiring from the Supreme Court with Yoko Ono marrying John Lennon.

We're hosed.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM       
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5255712

and

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGU9GJFCM1.DTL

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

SANDRA DAY O'Connor's remarks on the dangers of dictatorship in this country got little attention last week. Maybe that's expected when a retired U.S. Supreme Court justice speaks to a roomful of corporate lawyers.

But O'Connor's thoughts on the high court deserve prime time. In recent speeches, she has criticized political attacks on the judiciary as demeaning, dangerous and a threat to constitutional freedoms.

Last Thursday, she really got going. In a Washington, D.C., talk, O'Connor noted other nations, where dictators order up justice from a compliant bench. "It takes a lot of degeneration before a country falls into dictatorship, but we should avoid these ends by avoiding these beginnings.''

In the 1930s, it was President Franklin D. Roosevelt, "that fellow on the dime,'' who O'Connor felt tried to undermine the court by packing it with White House flunkies. Now it's the Republican right-wing who is trying to intimidate the judiciary, she indicated.

The Reagan-appointed moderate barely concealed her targets. Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas, the former House majority leader, had trashed the courts for removing the feeding tube of Terri Schiavo in a "right to die'' case. Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, drew fire for his idiotic remarks after a judge was killed in Atlanta and the family of another jurist was murdered in Chicago. An unaccountable judiciary that engages in politics, he suggested, may bring on violent attacks.

O'Connor may be retired from the bench, but she shouldn't quit the public arena where her thoughts are needed.

_____

I'm sure there will be other reportings coming soon.