Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM        Who Would Jesus Assasinate
Pat Robertson calls for the assasination of democratically elected Chavez.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to stop his country from becoming "a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's "The 700 Club."

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:47 AM       
Ah, I see. So you turn the other cheek, and when he thinks you're subdued, lay him out.

Pat Robertson is worthless.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM       
Worthless and almost certainly hellbound, but not without influence.
Mocker
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM       
And, as expected, the Venezuelan govt. responds with alomst equally ridiculous hyperbole:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...rtner=homepage

"Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel said Venezuela was studying its legal options, adding that how Washington responds to Robertson's comments would put its anti-terrorism policy to the test.

''The ball is in the U.S. court, after this criminal statement by a citizen of that country,'' Rangel told reporters. ''It's huge hypocrisy to maintain this discourse against terrorism and at the same time, in the heart of that country, there are entirely terrorist statements like those.''"
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM       
If I were to stand on the street corner shouting "Assassinate <insert American politician>!" do you think I'd get arrested?

Assuming you say yes, do you think I'd get arrested for calling for the assassination of a British politician?

I don't think the Venezuelan VP's hyperbole is ridiculous at all, but I do think I'd get arrested in either of the above scenarios. Not that I think Robertson will get arrested or censured in any way, shape, or form. It's a relatively small hypocrisy, but it's hypocrisy nonetheless.
Mocker
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM       
We are on bad terms with Venezuela, which is what makes Robertson's comments asinine. But the comment was targted towards an enemy state, led by a guy who just spent his weekend with Fidel Castro denouncing the U.S. as the biggest terrorist nation in the world.

It shows that Robertson is an idiot (which we knew), and that he lacks tact. it isn't the same however as a citizen of this nation saying we should, he should, or somebody should kill an American official. You'd probably be arrested, and then you'd probably get sent home if you made some random comment about a British diplomat, or someone.

However, this isn't the first time Robertson has done this, come to think of it. He also told CNN in 2004 that God told him Bush would win in a blowout. He told the press that Bush told him there'd be no casualties in the Iraq war. I think he said something about blowing up Saudi Arabia, or something. He called Islam a scam ripping off Jewish faith.

To put it shortly-- both comments were made by blowhards who like attention.
Mocker
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM       
MORE fun quotables from Pat Robertson.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM       
chavez himself was like, i don't even know who this person is and i'd rather talk about life.

i used to think pat robertson was a cool, grandpa-like guy. that was a long time ago.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM        Re: Who Would Jesus Assasinate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:25 PM       
Great. Now if someone tries to assassinate him, they can put the blame on us and point to this idiot promoting it.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM       
Even without this everyone would still blame the US for the assassination.
Level 29 ♂
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM       
Well, with Pat Robertson promoting it, when they inevitably do blame us, a bunch of redneck fucks are going to get into their rusted out Chevys and fire off their rifles in celebration, screaming "We did it, Gawd!" Even if we didn't.

Edit: It seems this is the biggest thing to happen in a while. Robertson's been on the TV all day.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 02:24 PM       
Quote:
Robertson once declared that feminism "encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
lesbians are awesome.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM       
Motherless lesbians undermining the foundation of our God-fearin' Amurika with chicken bones and tarot cards.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM       
We really should be nicer to Chavez. He does have tons of oil and is way better to his people and Pat Robertson's people than the leaders of Saudi Arabia. Damn you Pat Robertson.

When I entered this thread I actually thought we'd be suggesting who'd we think Jesus would assassinate.

I'd go with Pat Robertson or Chris Tucker after reading the real intent of the thread.
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:20 PM       
"We don't need another $200bn war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he said.

"It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

The comments were subsequently reported by the Associated Press and other media outlets, but on the Wednesday edition of The 700 Club Mr Robertson said the remarks were misconstrued.

"I didn't say 'assassination', I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," he said.

"There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," he added.

The US State Department said the comments were "inappropriate" and did not reflect the policy of the US.

"Any allegations that we are planning to take hostile action against the Venezuelan government are completely baseless," State department spokesman San McCormack said.

"We have been very clear that this is not the policy of the United States."

Venezuela is the fifth-largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States.

He wasn't suggesting to assassinate a foriegn leader. Just to kidnap him.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708
"I didn't say 'assassination', I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," he said.
Somebody is telling lies lies lies lies.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:43 AM       
lol. maybe he meant take him out to dinner.
Mocker
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM       
oops!
Level 29 ♂
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:51 AM       
On the news this morning I heard him say that he got "misinterpreted, which happens very often."
Mocker
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:27 AM       
Does Pat Robertson Matter?
Many conservatives would say no. But it’s not that simple.

A number of conservatives and Republicans have criticized televangelist Pat Robertson for suggesting that the U.S. government assassinate Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez. "What an offense that this man was a serious candidate for the presidency," wrote NR's Richard Brookhiser, referring to Robertson's 1988 run for the Republican nomination, in which Robertson defeated eventual nominee George H. W. Bush in the Iowa caucuses. "He was our Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton."

"It's ludicrous, ridiculous, irresponsible," said former Sen. Bob Dole, who ran against Robertson in that 1988 race. "I mean, whenever somebody makes such a stupid statement as Pat Robertson made, it's probably going to benefit, in this case, Chavez."

"It was an incredibly stupid statement and has no reflection on reality," added Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, a member of the Foreign Relations Committee. And conservative radio host Blanquita Cullum said, "I think what he did is a terrible thing. I think it's a disgrace. And there's no way I can support what he said. I don't think any rational person can support that."

The condemnations made clear that Robertson's comments had absolutely no support anywhere. But they did not address another question: Just how influential is Robertson in today's politics?

The answer from many conservatives, especially those in Washington and New York, would be quick and clear: Robertson has virtually no influence at all. "I don't know anybody in the religiously conservative world who takes their nods from Pat," said one conservative who closely tracks the world of faith and politics. "He's just sort of had his day. Plus, you combine about three or four crackpot comments a year, and even your own constituents say you're nuts. He's worn out his welcome, even with his own people."

To many on the right, Robertson's most important role today seems to be as the maker of those crackpot comments, which give liberals the opportunity to hang the offending words — and Robertson himself — around conservatives' necks.

There is some truth to that, but there is also some evidence to suggest that Robertson is not quite as marginalized a figure as conservatives would like to believe. His main forum, the television program The 700 Club, is available in nearly all of the country on the ABC Family Channel, FamilyNet, the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and some broadcast stations. According to Nielsen Media Research, The 700 Club, aired each weekday, has averaged 863,000 viewers in the last year. While that is not enough to call it a popular program, it is still a significant audience. It is, for example, more than the average primetime audience for CNN last month — 713,000 viewers — or MSNBC, which averaged 280,000 viewers in prime time. It is also greater than the viewership of CNBC and Headline News.

"It's a pretty good audience," says John Green, a professor at the University of Akron who is also a fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. "He is certainly a consequential figure." But Green and others point out that, even though Robertson has a core audience of supporters, his influence — which had a high point in 1988 and 1989, when he ran for president and founded the Christian Coalition — is unquestionably on the wane. Figures like James Dobson have eclipsed Robertson in political influence, and popular evangelicals like Rick Warren and Joel Osteen have surpassed him in the religious world. "They are more in tune with contemporary culture, while Robertson was more in tune with what was happening with evangelicals 20 or 30 years ago," says Green.

So these days, Robertson makes news only when he says something outrageous. And he has done that more than a few times. In early 2004, Robertson claimed divine inspiration as he predicted a Bush landslide in the presidential election. "I really believe I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be like a blowout election in 2004," he said on The 700 Club. "It's shaping up that way."

In 2003, discussing a book critical of the State Department, Robertson said, "If I could just get a nuclear device inside Foggy Bottom, I think that's the answer. I mean, you get through this [book], and you say, 'We've got to blow that thing up.'"

In 2001, shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks, Robertson nodded in agreement as fellow televangelist Jerry Falwell said the attacks were God's punishment for the sins of "the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who have tried to secularize America."

In 1998, Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida not to mark Gay Pride Month by flying flags downtown. "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you," Robertson said. "This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor."

And now Robertson has advised the United States to assassinate the president of Venezuela. (He later released a statement saying that he didn't really mean Chavez should be killed.) Conservatives would like to dismiss him as a has-been and an embarrassment. To some extent, that's true — but not to all those viewers of The 700 Club.
Mocker
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM       
The GOP revolution of the early 90's wouldn't have happened without the work of Pat Robertson. His campaign in '88 created a network of voters and resources that could make or break a candidate. It further secured the South, particularly the religious Right, for the Republican Party.

So yes, he has had his day, but he was very influential during it.
Mocker
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:00 AM       
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says US President George W Bush will be to blame if anything happens to him.

He was speaking after US TV evangelist Pat Robertson called for his assassination in comments the US State Department said were "inappropriate".

Mr Robertson later apologised saying he was frustrated at Mr Chavez's constant accusations against Washington.

A senior representative of America's evangelical Christians says he is trying to meet Mr Chavez to apologise.

Mr Chavez said on Friday that Pat Robertson "was expressing the wishes of the US elite".

"If anything happens to me then the man responsible will be George W Bush. He will be the assassin," the Venezuelan president said at a public event. "This is pure terrorism."
Mocker
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says US President George W Bush will be to blame if anything happens to him........

....."If anything happens to me then the man responsible will be George W Bush. He will be the assassin," the Venezuelan president said at a public event. "This is pure terrorism."
Maybe Chavez will shoot himself to prove his point.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM       
Ya, that'll show them capitalist pigs.