Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:30 PM        Reuters Cameraman held in Ahbu Garib without charge
Journalists Held Without Charges at Abu Ghraib
Reuters

Wednesday 31 August 2005

A cameraman for Reuters in Iraq has been ordered by a secret tribunal to be held without charge in Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison until his case is reviewed within six months, a US military spokesman said on Wednesday.

Ali Omar Abrahem al-Mashhadani was arrested by US forces on August 8 after a search of his home in the city of Ramadi. The US military has refused Reuters requests to disclose why he is being held. He has not been charged.

His brother, who was detained with him and then released, said they were arrested after Marines looked at the images on the journalist's cameras.

"The CRRB has determined that Mr. Mashhadani remains a threat to the people of Iraq and they recommended continued internment," Lieutenant Colonel Guy Rudisill said, referring to a hearing of the Iraqi-US Combined Review and Release Board held at a secret location in Baghdad on Monday.

He said Mashhadani would be entitled to a review of his case within 180 days and would be held at Abu Ghraib.

Rudisill said he would not be allowed to see an attorney, his family or anyone else for the first 60 days of his detention, which began in Abu Ghraib last week.

Reuters Global Managing Editor David Schlesinger said: "I am shocked and appalled that such a decision could be taken without his having access to legal counsel of his choosing, his family or his employers.

"I call on the authorities to release him immediately or publicly air the case against him and give him the opportunity to defend himself."

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM       
Everyone in Club G'itmo is innocent, Max.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...russians.shtml

Released Russian Guantanamo Prisoners Seized in Moscow

Created: 30.08.2005 15:12 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 15:12 MSK

MosNews

Two former Guantanamo prisoners, extradited to Russia in 2002, have been detained in Moscow on suspicion of preparing a series of terrorist attacks, the Vremya Novostei newspaper reported Tuesday.

The two Russian citizens, Airat Vakhitov and Rustam Akhmyarov, who were seized in a counter-terrorist operation in Afghanistan and kept at the Guantanamo base in Cuba with other Taliban and terrorist suspects, and then extradited home to Russia, have been detained and are now being held in a Russian detention centre.

They are charged with preparing and carrying out a series of terrorist acts in the Central Russian Povolzhye region.

Three other former Guantanamo prisoners have been detained in Russia’s Tatarstan Republic on the same charges, the paper adds.

All in all, of the seven Russian Guantanamo prisoners extradited from Cuba in 2004, only two are not in custody.

Airat Vakhitov, arrested Saturday, was engaged in human rights activities in Moscow, Vremya Novostei reports. He wrote articles and was working on a book about rights violations in Guantanamo, was going to travel to London for the former Guantanamo prisoners Round Table, as was Rustam Akhmyarov.

If the police manage to link the two Guantanamo prisoners arrested in Moscow and those arrested in Tatarstan, it may prove that they are related to the Taliban and Al Qaeda, the newspaper summed up.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM       
Yeah, Max! That'll teach you to never talk about an urelated topic again!

WHO defines the topic???? Vince, that's who!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM       
I think his point is., everyone in club gitmo is guilty. Thy put you in there, you become guilty. That whole Russian thing is scientiffic proof.

And if it is proven someone is guilty, why do you need to charge them. That son of a bitch camra man should simply be pushed through a meat grinder, mixed with pork, and fed to prisoners in other places...

Wait a sec, the cameraman is in Ahbu Garib, not gitmo... so Vinth is...

Well, stupid I guess.

Thank God some things are reliable.

Do you suppose our sweet little Vinth is finally climbing out of clinical depression and has once more been given access to a computer? That would be nice.