Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM        Choosing a car stereo
I have two choices for hand-me-down stereos:

1. Kenwood KDC-X459 (with 10 disc changer)

"With the 50-watt x4 KDC-X459, it's the music that matters. It plays CD, CD-R, and CD-RW discs, controls a compatible CD or MD changer, and features a Quad 1-bit DAC for intensely great music. The KDC-X459's System Q EX Sound Control System provides advanced bass/treble/midrange control, manually or with 5 preset curves, to fine-tune your music. And 3 pre-outs (front, rear and a non-fading subwoofer output) let you add amplifiers and powered subs. The dot-matrix display includes contrast and dimmer controls for optimal visibility, and the flip-down faceplate is removable (case provided)."

OR

2. Blaupunkt Alaska II with 10 disc changer

I can't find too much in the way of specs on this unit, but I do know the lights will match the dash lighting in my VW. That's hardly worth the mp3 functionality of the Kenwood, IMO, but OTOH if this unit is a lot better spec wise, maybe I can live without mp3 CDs.

What I could find: "40-watt x4, 3v output, parametric eq, DigiCeiver TM Codem D All-Digital Tuner, Electronic Detachable Face w/Hardshell Case"

I dunno, I'm leaning toward the Kenwood, but if anyone knows car stereos and could offer advice, I'd appreciate it.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM       
Go with the Kenwood. If the lighting doesn't match, so what? It just draws more attention to your CD player.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:14 PM       
That's what I'm sayin, but I thought Blaupunkts were supposed to be really good, and I can't really find solid stats to compare. :/
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM       
I don't know anything about Blaupunkts, but I have a Kenwood in my car and it has served me faithfully for well over a year. ;< Except it has a few buttons on it which seem to have no function. But besides that, it works pretty good.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM       
I would never go back to a non-mp3 car stereo. go with the kenwood.

the kenwood should be just fine. I have used a couple and dont care for the interface, but they are still very good. hell if you want to add subs and external amps, they are probably both gonna sound very close to the same anyways. and if you arent, well, you wouldnt need the best stereo in the world for factory speakers.