Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:39 AM        damned spyware shite...
I'm getting more pop-ups from spyware on my computer, pretty much anytime I do a search on Google. I've run ad-aware (with the updated definitions 'n what not) and removed everything but it's still there. I've run norton anti-virus and while it found some viruses, it was unable to delete them (without explaining why except for saying "delete failed").

Here's the files norton found:

may17_loader.exe
polall1t.exe
preInsTT.exe
twaintec.dll
uninstaller.exe

(it listed some of them multiple times, 12 files in all)

So uh, yeah, help.

If it helps, I know the pop-ups sometimes try to access the following:
websearch24.com
websearch.com
jadlogix.cjt1.net/HTM/419/0/JavaSiteRequest.asp
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:50 AM       
Have you tried Spybot? Can you delete the files manually? Can you boot into Safe Mode and then run Norton to see if the files are deleted?

TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM       
mock i don't like to bitch about things because your site fucking rules but when i hit a 404 page or a dead link on i-mock i get bombarded with like unlimited pop-ups... i use opera as my browser so it might be just an opera thing but it forces me to close the browser (and all of its tabs)... that's kinda rough! in IE just one new pop-up opens... what else is going on?? again i'm not complaining just drunk and wondering
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Have you tried Spybot? Can you delete the files manually? Can you boot into Safe Mode and then run Norton to see if the files are deleted?

Wait, you mean I should boot into safe mode and then run norton to see if it will delete the files? And no, I haven't tried Spybot.

Soundtest, that page was made to teach you a lesson! But yeah, it must be an Opera thing cuz I don't get that many when I go to that page in IE.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:35 AM       
Quote:
Wait, you mean I should boot into safe mode and then run norton to see if it will delete the files? And no, I haven't tried Spybot.
Yes, try that. Norton might be having trouble removing stuff because it's currently loaded in memory. It's possible to have a program detect when it's being shut down, and have it spawn a new copy... you kill the original, but eggs burst out of its chest before it dies and they all hatch.

Also try Spybot. I read an article a few weeks ago that compared spyware removal programs, and it said that even though AdAware and Spybot are the best programs currently out there, they only remove about 57% of known spyware. There's also a considerable difference between what AdAware removes and what Spybot nukes.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:56 AM       
exactly. i always recommend to people to get BOTH spybot and adaware.

safe mode is a good idea. if it still cant remove them, see what type the virus is listed as and then look it up for a manual removal.
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:27 AM       
spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster spyware blaster
PILLOWFIGHT is probably a spambot
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:48 PM       
nerdz lol