Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:46 PM        Fox News Booted out of Iraq

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20030215-26117950.htm

Iraqi reporter expelled;
Baghdad orders Fox out
By Betsy Pisik
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The U.S. government has ordered an Iraqi journalist to leave the country, saying he has been engaged in "activities considered harmful to U.S. national security" — language that typically means espionage.

The Iraqi government swiftly retaliated by ordering Fox News correspondents in Baghdad to leave.
Iraqi News Agency reporter Mohammad Hassan Allawi, who has been based at the United Nations for two years, denied any wrongdoing yesterday.
"I have done nothing wrong," he said to reporters yesterday, even as the Security Council debated Iraq behind closed doors. "I have covered the Security Council, the United Nations. I haven't left the United Nations. I haven't done anything bad."
Mr. Allawi received a letter Wednesday from a diplomat at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations on Wednesday, ordering him and his family to leave the country in 15 days.
The longtime INA correspondent, 38, and previously based in Baghdad, has five children and lives in a midtown Manhattan apartment supplied by the Iraqi government.
The INA is the government's official news agency and is operated by the Ministry of Information. There was no mention of the incident on its English-language Web site yesterday evening.
"The United States, after consultations with the United Nations, has requested the departure of a correspondent for the Iraqi News Agency," said Patrick Kennedy, a diplomat at the U.S. Mission who deals with host-country matters such as expulsions. "The correspondent was engaged in activities outside the scope of his job functions. These activities were considered harmful to U.S. national security."
Mr. Kennedy declined to say exactly what Mr. Allawi is accused of doing. Mohammed Aldouri, Iraq's U.N. ambassador, defended Mr. Allawi's work yesterday, saying he is a professional journalist and not a spy.
Fox News reporters in Baghdad were told yesterday they have 48 hours to leave the country.
-30-
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:58 AM       
I guess they're going to have to report against a backdrop, just like they do on The Daily Show, won't they?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM       
:/

They were probably getting ready to start filming a new episode of "When Americans Attack", which of course got the Iraqis' panties all in a bunch.
BombsBurstingInAir is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM       
I guess the Iraqis found out about the tie between Bush and Murdoch.
Mocker
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:11 PM       
I think it was the connection to Geraldo that broke the old camel (no pun intended, although it turned out funny. YAY!)
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:25 AM       
Don't worry.

They'll be back in there in a couple of weeks.
Mocker
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:46 AM       
I think they should become the state news provider for Iraq. That way they'll come to appreciate the care and detail put into the pre-American colony propaganda.

The world seems to be against you Ronnie, my sad little bear.