Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:18 AM        Computer is scaring me. :(
I was doing a disk cleanup to recover some space just now, and all of a sudden, my computer started making a loud grinding noise that slowly died down.

I do cleanups every couple days because a good chunk of space gets help up in temporary files and the like, and this is the first time I've ever heard a noise like that. The computer is also almost a year old.

I'd assume since I was doing a disk cleanup the drive was just acting up. But the grinding noise makes me wonder if it was my CPU fan. I don't know what to do now and I'm scared.

I'd checked my HD for errors, found none. I've tried to look over the proporties for my board and processor, but didn't find any problems. I installed a temp monitor, and my temperature is holding steady at the right levels. My fans don't have sensors on them, but if something wasn't working, the temp would reflect that.

I just don't know what to do. My computer makes a wierd scary noise out of fucking nowhere, and I don't know why.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM       
Run your computer with the cover off for a few days so that if the noise comes back, you have easy access to the insides to see where the sound is coming from.

Weird noises are usually fans, or cables that have fallen against fans. Sometimes in the process of opening up your case, you move stuff around and then the problem isn't obvious anymore.

If it is your hard drive, it could be that the drive was just thrashing a lot. This basically means the grinding sound you heard wasn't grinding at all, but the read/write heads moving back and forth more than usual (typically happens when you have a lot of fragmented data on your drive). Or your hard drive is dying.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM       
Well, last night, it sounded like a grinding noise that died down. It sounded similar to a bad fan fixing itself.

Today, I'm hearing noises again, that sound like scratching. Which I would think is the "thrashing" you mentioned. At least I'd really like to think so. Since my drive is usually too full to defragment my drive, it also makes it sound like a possibility.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM       
it's the rats, those terrible rats in the computer :eel
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM       
I didn't know there was an "eel" emote
Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM       
I managed to free up JUST enough space to be able to defrag. The scratchy noise happened off and on during the process.

It continued to happen afterwards, so I turned the computer off, opened up the case, and blew away some of the dust inside. It's not sitting open and running.

I didn't hear anything yet, and was JUST going to say I think everything's OK now, but I just heard it again. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the power supply fan, so I'll call Dell and ask them to send someone out to replace it.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM       
My grandma is 89. She defrags her hard drive because she thinks it looks pretty.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM       
faasdfasfsadf

Last edited by James : Mar 19th, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:50 PM       
No, that motherfucker WILL FRY. Without Warning, too.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
it's the rats, those terrible rats in the computer :eel
lol lovecraft
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM       
you do have a fire extinguisher around, right james?
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:48 AM       
The temperature it is reading is somewhere on your motherboard.

Your power supply will most likely be fine without the fan, but it does present a fire hazard. So use it at your own risk.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:27 PM       
dsafsdfasdfsd

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM       
Are you talking about a desktop or a laptop?

I'd be happy to assist you in replacing the fan, and it would save you money over replacing the whole power supply.

Please don't open the power supply on your own. Potentially deadly amounts of charge can be stored in capacitors within the supply for long periods of time after it is turned off.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM       
sadffdfsafdsasd

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM       
All of our jobs go to India because Americans in the technical field seem to have this idea that slacking off at work is not only okay, but is called "gaining people skills" and deserves a promotion.