Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:35 AM        Seattle: Murders Shock Rave Scene
Remember when we used to make fun of Ravers? Those were the days...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060327/...attle_shooting

Seattle Murders Shock 'Rave' Community

By NANCY ROBERTS TROTT and JACKSON HOLTZ, Associated Press Writers
2 hours, 28 minutes ago

The partygoers didn't know Aaron Kyle Huff, and don't know who invited him to their after-party. In the culture of raves, all-night dance parties where they say young people can feel welcomed regardless of looks or background, such questions normally aren't important.

That trust was shattered Saturday morning, when Huff opened fire in a house full of ravers dressed like zombies in dark clothing and pale makeup, killing six of them and injuring two.

The 28-year-old man from Montana, who fired a 12-gauge pistol-grip shotgun and wore bandoliers of shotgun shells, killed himself when confronted by a police officer outside the home.

Now ravers are in shock after being struck by the apparently random act of violence.

"We're probably the only community in society that would have welcomed somebody so easily," said Travis Webb, an area rave promoter who attended a "zombie rave" that preceded the party where Huff opened fire.

Raves — parties that attract young people to dance to thumping, bass-laden electronic music — often are themed events where people dress up in Halloween-like outfits and paint their faces. Friday night's rave, dubbed "Better Off Undead," drew about 500 people, according to organizers.

Early Saturday, some made their way to a house party already underway in a nearby residential neighborhood. Someone invited Huff, police said.

While friends of the victims said they didn't know who invited the suspect, they said the invite wasn't unusual.

"I've invited people to after-parties many times," said 28-year-old Roger Platt, who attended the rave and left the after-party at the house shortly before the shooting.

Police said the gunman left the house party and returned around 7 a.m. to commit one of the biggest mass killings in city history.

Police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said Sunday that police found an assault rifle, multiple "banana clips" carrying 30 bullets each, a machete and several hundred more rounds of ammunition.

Whitcomb said the gunman was "extremely dangerous" and it was fortunate there weren't more victims.

Four young men and two young women were killed and two people were hospitalized in serious condition, officials said.

Some who knew Huff could not believe he was a suspect.

"This would have been so far out of character," said Jim Pickett, the assistant manager of the apartment complex where he said Huff lived with his twin brother.

Seattle police had not released Huff's identity Sunday, but Montana's Flathead County sheriff's Lt. Dave Leib said that after talking with authorities there he informed Huff's mother Sunday afternoon that her son was dead.

Phone messages left at Huff's Seattle apartment and the Huff family home in Whitefish, Mont., were not immediately returned.

Leib said Huff, who went by the name Kyle, was charged with felony criminal mischief in 2000 after shooting a statue of a moose with a shotgun at an art exhibit in Whitefish.

Whitcomb confirmed that a search warrant was served Saturday evening on the block where the twins' apartment is located. One person was questioned, but no one was arrested, he said.

Whitcomb said police were still working on a motive.

Authorities have not released the victim's identities, but relatives of two victims, Jeremy Martin, 26, and Christopher Williamson, 21, confirmed that they were among the dead. Several ravers gathered at a makeshift memorial near the crime scene Sunday morning.

Webb said he and other ravers are filled with fear that police or city officials might use the shooting as an excuse to shut down the parties. Police said alcohol and marijuana were found at the murder scene, but they had not linked them to the crime.

"It's almost a double punishment," Webb said. "You lose six people that are so close, and then you might lose the community that brought you all together in the first place."

Many ravers say that although alcohol is not usually served, drugs are a part of the scene.

"The drugs are unreal," said Chris Meyer, 22, who said he stopped going because of the drugs. "The more and more I went, it was just people sitting around on the floor."

Meyer said partygoers' favorite drug is ecstasy, or MDMA, which makes people feel tipsy, trusting, loving and warm toward others.

Webb, who attended only the larger party, acknowledges that some kids use drugs but said he's seen a decline in drug use over the last year.

He said he's working with other Seattle rave promoters to organize a free, daytime memorial rave, "so people can see that we're not a bunch of kids hiding in the basement."
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:15 AM       
LOL!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM       
holy christ what did they expect, having everyone dressed up as zombies w/ all the drugs ravers do SOMEONE was bound to get too caught up in the moment
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:19 AM       
and who the fuck does ANYTHING zombie-themed in MARCH
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:16 AM       
Evil Dead 3: Ash vs. Candykids
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM       
FUCK YOU GUYS.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/poppin...pping27ww.html

Popping Off: Why does the 'rave' aspect keep coming up?

By D. PARVAZ
P-I COLUMNIST

Let's break down Saturday morning's horrific events, shall we?

Several young people are in a Capitol Hill home, winding down from an electronic show/dance at the Capitol Hill Arts Center. Among the guests was 28-year-old Kyle Huff.

Reports indicate that Huff, for reasons only he could comprehend, left the house, returned a few minutes later, spray-painted "now" (possibly the shortest word with which to communicate a frantic sense of immediacy) outside the house before unleashing hell upon the people with whom he was only moments earlier hanging.

He killed six people and injured two. He then took his own life, and so far, any hope of getting any sort of explanation for what was going through his mind.

Now, of this chilling massacre, what is the one detail that keeps popping up in stories and conversations around town? That the victims (and possibly the killer) were at a "rave" on Friday night.

For one second, let's assume that they were. SO WHAT?

Are we really that obtuse?We hear that six innocent people died, that two others are hospitalized, that the killer himself is a sad example of a young mind gone horribly wrong, and the first thing we think about is, "Hmmm, what kind of music were they listening to the night they died?"

It's bad enough to paint an entire community as nefarious because some people take drugs at some parties (OK, fine, raves). But trying to somehow say that these kids were lesser, that they were bad kids and to maybe try to use them as a morality lesson to frighten other teens from going out to enjoy electronic music is nothing short of sick.

And to paint the after-party as something other than what it was is likewise misguided.

Haven't you ever been out to a bar or a concert with friends, and gone to a friend's house afterwards, because you weren't quite ready to call it a night? I know you have, and I have too. It's a nice alternative to going to Denny's, right?

But the party at the Capitol Hill Arts Center was hardly a rave – I wasn't there, but I've been to a number of events around town that I was later surprised to hear described by others as raves.

The "Better Off Undead" party was something like most events anywhere where DJs are the star attractions: Tickets are sold to a performance at a legit venue. People show up (in this case, in theme costumes, kinda like Halloween). They dance. They leave. Friday night's show was an all-ages, alcohol-free event. There wasn't even a whiff of some massive, underground event, which defined the rave scene of the '90s.

Were there drugs at Friday's show? I don't know. Probably. Attendees may have taken them before arriving, after leaving, or hell, maybe they didn't take anything at all. Are there drugs in malls, high schools, bars, buses and pretty much any place you'd find people?

Uh, yeah. But this, again, is totally irrelevant to what went down on Saturday morning at the Capitol Hill house.

It seems Huff had been stockpiling weapons in his Northgate apartment, and that he went out Friday night with at least two firearms and plenty of ammo with him. Are we really going to try to blame that on the electronic music scene or Ecstasy?

What about Dominick Maldonado, who in November went on a shooting spree in the Tacoma Mall, killing one and injuring six? What kind of music did he listen to?

Remember how conservative parenting groups tried to blame the Columbine school shooting on Marilyn Manson? It's always something. It used to be, what, hippie music? Then punk rock, then heavy metal, violence in TV shows, violent video games, then goths, then raves, maybe Britney Spears' navel or Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty" chaps. Or maybe it's rap music?

Come on.

The instinct to look for easy answers is a natural one. A healthy mind can't grasp what makes a person do what Huff did. Think about it. Locate target – a young, innocent person for whom life is sweet. Aim. Fire. Repeat time and time again. Finally, turn shotgun on self. Pull trigger. One. Last. Time.

Of course we want answers.

But trying to demonize a legitimate branch of the local artistic community is not the answer. Those kids – and their families – are victims who deserve our consideration and justice, no matter who the headlining DJ was the night before.

"Popping Off" is a regular commentary on popular culture and related matters.

D. Parvaz can be reached at 206-448-8095 or dparvaz@seattlepi.com.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM       
I gotta go with Zig, here.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to make light of a mass murder. David Cross (I think) had a great joke about that a number of years back. The gist was, how come everybody is so stuck on quantity these days. Whatever happened to quality.

I also recognize that as I-mock was formerly the home of the anti-rave sight there's a certain... I don't know, aftertaste of irony.

But I guess the question is, what all does this have to do with a rave? This is just another crazy mass slaughter.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM       
Yeah, too many retards looking for easy answers to all of life's questions. Its like in the South Park movie, the whole thing was satirising the readiness of parent groups, goverment officials and others to place all the blame on one small thing. I could have just been someone who just wanted to kill for the thrill.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM       
I don't think the initial article really painted it as a fault of raves or ravers, really. They inserted that little quote about the drugs but also that he's seen less drugs around lately.

Also,
Quote:
He said he's working with other Seattle rave promoters to organize a free, daytime memorial rave, "so people can see that we're not a bunch of kids hiding in the basement."
Maybe there were other articles saying worse things, but let's not get all hypersensitive just because someone mentioned that the kids were at a rave before the party where the shooting happened. I think the point of mentioning the fact that the kids were at a rave was more to outline the fact that this guy is completely off the deep end and can go from partying to murder-suicide in an evening.

In fact, now that I think about it, a house party where you can play with a shotgun and only kill 8 people isn't much of a house party at all.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM       
oversensitive? where i read about this someone wrote "at least they died doing what they loved."

to which i replied, "what, ducking and screaming?"

still, fuck you guys.
OH GOD
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:20 AM       
would you feel better if we made fun of people from montana instead
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM       
Quote:
Leib said Huff, who went by the name Kyle, was charged with felony criminal mischief in 2000 after shooting a statue of a moose with a shotgun at an art exhibit in Whitefish.
Apparently this kid goes OOC a lot
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM       
is it sad that i get that joke chojin i dunno ;_;