Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM        Duke Nukem Forever
This thread is created with the intention of General Discussion and Random News posts for what is (to date) the most infamous case of a Game taking Way too long to finish.

First the Background on the game (if memory serves me well enough).

After Duke Nukem 3D was finished, 3D realms were busy working on More games that utilised the Build engine (shadow warrior, Blood). In 1997, they announced a Sequel to much Joy amongst the Majority of the PC gaming community. Duke Nukem forever was Being made Using the Quake II engine (before the Uncountable changes to the engine). Near the completion of the game (and after releasing a E3 Trailer for the game) they felt that the game couldnt compete with the current crop of games (2001 hearlded the Launch of the XBox) so they scrapped the project Completly (as well as taking all information such as Screenshots and Videos from the game from the 3D realms Site).

Here are the Videos

1998 Trailer (showcasing the Quake 2 engine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlIBg...ukem%20Forever

And the 2001 trailer (when the project was nearing completion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPX_y...ukem%20Forever

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:58 PM       
I wish someone would leak that 2001 version :< it doesn't look that bad :<
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:40 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
No, it didn't look that bad 6 years ago...

By this point I'm completely apathetic, it's as much of a joke as Guns N' Roses now

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:57 AM       
Its apparently being ressurected. The developers are offering an additional $500 000 to their publisher to get the game jump started again. i read that somewhere on IGN, I'll see if I can get the link.

There
http://pc.ign.com/articles/712/712012p1.html
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:01 AM       
I've had the Duke Nukem song stuck in my head for a few days so it was nice hearing it on a actual guitar. Cool game, I wish they'd friggn relase it already. If they're even still working on it.
Title
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM       
I was on the 3D realms site (getting the Shadow Warrior Wanton Destruction Add on) and i saw a ton of Banner ads showing Duke Nukem in a Uncle sam suit With the words "I want you... To Help Finish Me"

I think with the release of Prey (which had been a Top priority for the past couple of years) they have nothing to stop them from using all their Resources and putting them into finishing DNF.

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM       
DNF is almost done, apparently. To paraphrase the following news article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...php?story=8878

They don't want to show it off just yet as if people see it they will not be all that impressed. I mean it's taken 10 years so alot of people will be expecting everything ever, to be in the game. Fact of the matter is it's based of reasonably old technology and if people see a few mediocre looking screenshots it might do more harm than good for the game's reputation. If, however, 3D Realms announce the game is done and release a few teaser videos fans will have something to get excited about.

"I want you... To Help Finish Me"

This might be advertising the thing 3dR where doing on their forum where members could give small scenarios for scripted sequences, for example looking through a window and seeing a pig cop stuffing money in a stipper's g-string - small things like that. They said they wouldn't say which suggestions they where using, they'd just put them in the game and if you're lucky you'll see your idea at some point in the game.
Kinda cool idea I thought.

"as much of a joke as Guns N' Roses now"

I saw them recently and I have to admit it was a good show, sure it could have been better and Axl is still acts like a child but it's fun hearing the old classics being played live.

ADDED: Some things which have happened since DNF was announced:

* Over 75 games based in the Mega Man universe, and 12 games featuring Mega Man universe character cameos were released.

* The Voyager 1 spacecraft has travelled 8.8 billion miles from Earth.

* 19 wars have begun. 5 wars have ended.

* Every single Grand Theft Auto game (13 of them!) was released.

* Over 350,000,000 consoles and handhelds were sold worldwide.

* Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM       
If I remember correctly, 3D Realms did not make Blood. Blood was a based on a Build engine that was extensively modified to support voxels.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
If I remember correctly, 3D Realms did not make Blood. Blood was a based on a Build engine that was extensively modified to support voxels.
True. The entire game was created by Monolith.

offtopic:

DN3D and SW sourcecodes are both published, and thanks to dedicated fans, you can play both games with WinXP and direct3D support.

Blood is easily the best build game ever made, and I would love to play it with slightly better graphics and good XP support, but Monolith has refused to publish the sourcecode.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM       
Monolith is one of the most under appreciated devs in existence. They produce awesome games but never really kick up enough buzz to make huge hits. I mean FEAR was thiers, sure it was popular and sold well but its almost entirely forgotten about at this point, also Condemned:Criminal origins, and Shogo(first PC game I ever bought, for .99 cents at a discount store)
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM       
2006 is the year prey, a sam and max sequel and team fortress 2 (probobly) came out, if these development hell games can come out, why cant you duke?

Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM       
SAM AND MAX GOT GREEN LIGHTED AGAIN? I thought it was canceled for good last year!
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia
Some things which have happened since DNF was announced:

* Over 75 games based in the Mega Man universe, and 12 games featuring Mega Man universe character cameos were released.

* The Voyager 1 spacecraft has travelled 8.8 billion miles from Earth.

* 19 wars have begun. 5 wars have ended.

* Every single Grand Theft Auto game (13 of them!) was released.

* Over 350,000,000 consoles and handhelds were sold worldwide.

* Valve released both Half-Life 1 and 2, with several expansion packs and countless mods for each.
lol :<

I was thinking about DNF a lot at work today; DNF could be an INCREDIBLY successful game if it came out soon and was actually impressive and good. The game markets itself as no-one who has played games since 2000 hasn't heard of it, and I imagine most people would buy it just for the novelty.

But if the game's in any way mediocre, it'll come off about as well as most bad movie tie-in games do. Which is to say, it'll probably still hit 3dRealms' sales goals, but it won't cement Duke as the franchise cashcow that it could be.

That being said, if they put out DNF, at least 3DRealms will have permission in the game industry to develop software again.
was never good
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM       
Quote:
The game has been worked on in various forms for almost 10 years, having been originally announced in April 1997, and the update describes the current state of the title, which was viewed at 3D Realms' Texas studios: "mainly just pieces of the game in progress and tech demos", including "an early level, a vehicle sequence, a few test rooms", among others.
That is not 'almost done', you fucking jerk.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM       
In the timescale of DNF that is practically on the shelves
Title
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM       
Quote:
DN3D and SW sourcecodes are both published, and thanks to dedicated fans, you can play both games with WinXP and direct3D support.

Blood is easily the best build game ever made, and I would love to play it with slightly better graphics and good XP support, but Monolith has refused to publish the sourcecode.
Yeah. I actually Bought Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior about a month ago (20 dollars well spent in my opinion. Who cares about abandonware when you can Show people the actual copies). Im still looking for blood.
----------------------------------------------------

And the WOrds "I want you... To help finish me" is not about the forums and the scenario thing. It was actually a Banner Ad that linked to the page where they listed all the Employment Opportunituies available there.

This leads me to believe that they want more staff to finish the game. They know that DNF is taking forever and gamers and even the people at 3DR are getting Impatient. They want it to be finished soon. But they dont want it to be rushed. Duke Nukem, altough old, is one of the Biggest selling games they have ever released and still one of their most popular today.

Fans of Duke 3D have big expectations for DNF, so they want to Give the fans a Game that will showcase new technology with classic Duke Gameplay.

------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Fact of the matter is it's based of reasonably old technology and if people see a few mediocre looking screenshots it might do more harm than good for the game's reputation.
Number one. Duke is rumored to be running on a Heavily modified Unreal2 Engine (so heavily modified that they can Accuratly call it the "Duke Nukem Forever" engine. And looking at Some of the graphics produced with Unreal 2, and 3D realms Tendency to make already good looking games look better, DNF is looking to be one of the better looking games if it is released in the near future.

Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja
Quote:
Fact of the matter is it's based of reasonably old technology and if people see a few mediocre looking screenshots it might do more harm than good for the game's reputation.
Number one. Duke is rumored to be running on a Heavily modified Unreal2 Engine (so heavily modified that they can Accuratly call it the "Duke Nukem Forever" engine. And looking at Some of the graphics produced with Unreal 2, and 3D realms Tendency to make already good looking games look better, DNF is looking to be one of the better looking games if it is released in the near future.
By reasonably old I mean it's not going to be based on, for example, Unreal engine 3. The second incarnation of the engine which DNF uses is a good 4 years old now, admittedly it's still solid and has been heavily modified but that wont hide the fact the game will hardly be cutting edge. I guess only time will tell.
I suppose it's worth noting that HL1, using a modified quake1 engine went head to head with games using far newer tech and won. Heck, I still play DoD today.
was never good
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM       
Kingpin also used the Quake 2 engine but ended up looking excellent. All things considered, anyway, and aside from the wobbling skin.

3DRealms actually did this shit with Duke Nukem 3D too - they made an entire game and then junked 90% of it to put out Duke3D. They released the old game as 'lameduke' for free on the internets though and I hope that in the event DNF gets out that they do the same with their 2001 build ;<
Title
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM       
Yeah, knowing 3D realms they would probably do that. Unless it got Lost and is on some Guys desk. Just like what happened to Wanton Destruction.

That aside, They could have just released the 2001 build. It wouldnt have been too bad. It looked Like a Kickass game, it still looks cool even as I type this.

Edit:

Check out This page

yes i know its in my signature, but its a pretty good source for information next to the 3D Realms site.

CheapAlert is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKennedys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
No, it didn't look that bad 6 years ago...

By this point I'm completely apathetic, it's as much of a joke as Guns N' Roses now
I've yet to see a game that's released today that's anything like the DNF 98 and 01 trailer gameplay.
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM       
did anyone play duke nukem: manhatten project? fun as hell and only cost me 10 dollars. it's a 3D side scroller and easily playable with a keyboard or some kind of controller.

screenshots here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/du...reenindex.html
Title
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM       
My Friend/Computer tech/money leech Gave me a copy of it. It kicks ass. I loved the fact that it proved that 3D realms never forgot their roots at Apogee.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:09 PM       
I can't wait for it. I hope it gets released for the 360. That's be boss.
Zen444 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM       
But it is taking forever!

LULZ!!11

At least I have Duke Nukem: Zero Hour for the N64.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM       
Zen444, you are the worst poster since ArrowX.