Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:32 PM        Why does everone here seem to hate Linkin Park?
Just curious. I happen to like them a lot, and I wonder how you can hate them. Please post your opinions.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM       
They have nothing to offer that I haven't heard a thousand times

And they suck. That too

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:40 PM       
whiney guy screaming

+

whiney asian guy trying to rap

+

the same boring limpbizquick riffs

=

teh suck
Kurodo is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:07 PM       
The lead guy is in the hospital for extreme abdominal pains.

I used to like them, now I don't.

I guess it's because they don't even write their own music, and because they're all (the songs) about the same shit. "OMG IM SO DIFFERENT WATCH ME BE DIFFERENT THAN ALL OF YOU." :/
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM       
They are the coolest.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:29 PM       
Thank you, Kevintheherbivore. They do write their own music, too. I have the CD Meteora, and it came with a "making of" dvd that showed the whole ceative process, including them writing lyrics.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:41 PM       
Kurodo is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurodo
Quote:
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:47 PM       
Man, linkin park sucks because they have the same god damned chords over and over again, and they have crappy ass singers, and suck genuine nuts. They just don't make good music.
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:01 PM       
They're too whiny for me.
wreckreation is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:48 PM       
This level of elitism is really funny. It really separates the men from the boys in know how about music. I work at a college radio station and i can play a linkin park track and have everyone thinking it is aphex twin. I can play another one and appeal to the ever growing screamo crowd. They might be simple, but TONS of musicians use very simple methods. They might be pop, but you guys are way too fast to call anything pop, bad. Simply comparing them at all to limp bizkit is proof that you haven't really heard much by them. It's pop and no one denies it, but overall sound is what matters right? Meteora is a strikingly diverse album with world sounding songs using a bamboo flute to IDMish sounds on another track and posi-angst that is energetic but not goth or pretentious or even that whiny.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:04 AM       
THE MATRIX SUX

Grazzt is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:13 AM       
Two words: Mr. Hong
Now with less sodium!

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM       
It's Hahn, actually, Grazzt.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:49 PM       
Wreck made me LOL
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM       
You know what that means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Location: 6 inches from the computer screen. LOL. :rollseyes:
Secret Agent Vomit is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
THE MATRIX SUX
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:16 PM       
Linkin Park is good brainless music. Nothing challening there. I can listen to them like I can listen to Sum 41, or Britney Spears.I just don't confuse it with music that actually takes some effort to appreciate and understand.

As far as the sincerity of the emotion conveyed goes, I have doubts.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:25 PM       
Does sincerity matter that much? How many artists actually are sincere? How can you even tell?

SHould music be challenging in regards to ability to play? I admire ability, but i just as much admire overall sound, regardless how it is obtained.

as far as "music that actually takes some effort to appreciate and understand", why should music recquire anything of the audience? Thats pretentious bullshit to enjoy something because you have to be in the know. Certainly being in on a bands story makes a new element to their music, just as with a novel, but no one judges a fiction novelist on their sincerity, it's apples and oranges.

Linkin Park doesn't even try to lie about their sincerity. However tons of bands with strong followings totally lie about it. Sincerity shouldn't equal quality anymore than undergroundness should. Sincerity and freshness are just facets of the whole entertainment scheme.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM       
I don't hate LP because of their image or anything like that.

I just don't think they sound that great :/. It's all icing and no cake.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:00 PM       
Quote:
Does sincerity matter that much? How many artists actually are sincere? How can you even tell?
Sincerity matters to me. Not many. Can't be sure, but honest feeling usually translates well over lyric and music. That's partly the point. Not the case with the music I've heard from LP.

Quote:
SHould music be challenging in regards to ability to play? I admire ability, but i just as much admire overall sound, regardless how it is obtained.
Wasn't talking about technical chops. Was talking about how conventional music is, and in which ways it sets about achieving whatever goal it sets. I appreciate music that doesn't rely on too many genre cliches, that's all. Not saying that everybody must do the same.

Quote:
Thats pretentious bullshit to enjoy something because you have to be in the know.
I didn't suggest needing knowledge. I care for music that doesn't 'dumb it down' for the audience, and I appreciate music that doesn't go out of it's way to be accessible to a large demographic by default. You're reading too much into what I'm saying. LP do have aspirations that I do not approve off, judging by their music and thus are of little interest to me, when not judged by more demanding standards that those of inane pop music. Their lyrics are base and their arrangements hypnotically symplistic. They make me sing along and nod my head, but I sometimes require more of the music I listen to than just that.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:29 PM       
No, i think you are reading too much into it. Your all metal diet i betcha has you thinking of LP in metal terms when they are obviously a cross genre job. They have a fucking dj. The lyrics are totally screamo. Maybe they play guitar, but it doesn't make it metal, or even metal inspired. Listen to "session" and then post. It's totally aphex twin inspired. In the same spirit, lots of electronica acts choose to use simplicity of design and build around a catchy rift. Take daft punk, the most repetitive shit ever and it is great. Daft punk has been on mtv too, does that make them bad? Linkin Park isn't trying to be all guitar, it's just you who listens for that portion of the music.

In regards to sincerity, there is no way to know if any band is sincere so the idea of even trying to judge is flawed. Do you really think all those metal bands really are half as hard as they act? At any rate, same as mentioned above, LP has a different objective, and you're reading too much into it calling them on sincerity when they are obviously not caring. They are from SoCal for fuck sake. How sad can they really be in their mansions and sunny all year round.
The_voice_of_reason is probably a spambot
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 03:06 AM       
Do I need a reason to hate Linkin Park? Can I just hate them for no reason? Do I need a reason to not like their music or can I just hate them unconditionally?