Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM        Do they still burn people at the stake?
Unreal. Just unreal.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...1108-2541r.htm

Kerry cited in Catholic heresy case

By Julia Dunn
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A Catholic lawyer has filed heresy charges against Sen. John Kerry with the Archdiocese of Boston, accusing the Democratic presidential candidate of bringing "most serious scandal to the American public" by receiving Holy Communion as a pro-choice Catholic.

The 18-page document was sent to the archdiocese June 14, but released to the public only yesterday by Marc Balestrieri, a Los Angeles-based canon lawyer and an assistant judge with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles' tribunal, an ecclesiastical court.

"Heresy is a public, ecclesiastical crime," said Mr. Balestrieri, 33, whose complaint is posted at www.defide.com. "It affects entire communities. It is one of the greatest sins you can commit."

If the Boston Archdiocese, which is refusing comment on the case, decided to press heresy charges, the Massachusetts senator could be excommunicated.

"My goal is his repentance, not excommunication," Mr. Balestrieri said. The charges do not seek monetary damages.

The Rev. Arthur Espelage, executive coordinator for the Canon Law Society in Alexandria, said a Catholic layman can legitimately bring a case against another layman in a church court. The charges, known in church parlance as a "denunciation," are similar to a criminal complaint in secular law.

But "this is really unique," he said. "I have never heard of a case like this being processed before."

The charges must be filed in the diocese where Mr. Kerry lives. If the Archdiocese of Boston rejects the case, Mr. Balestrieri can appeal it to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, headed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in Rome.

Father Espelage said church officials, not politicians, are the ones usually accused of heresy. But this suit may change that.

"It's as if someone has launched the nuclear missile now," the priest said. "I'd suspect there will be communication between the [Boston] Archdiocese and the Holy See on this."

A spokeswoman for Mr. Kerry refused comment because the campaign had not seen the document.

Mr. Balestrieri said he filed the heresy charge — plus an additional complaint charging "harm" to himself as a result of Mr. Kerry's pronouncements on abortion and related issues — because canon law entitles Catholics to "possession of the faith unharmed."

"By spreading heresy, he is endangering not just mine by every Catholic's possession of the faith," he said.

"I am inviting all baptized Catholics who feel injured by Kerry to join the suit as third parties" by reading the document on the Web site and then sending a certified letter of agreement to the Boston Archdiocese.

"People are saying you can be pro-choice and be a good Christian, that it is not contrary to the faith to support aborted murder," Mr. Balestrieri said. "This is a life-threatening heresy."

"Bishops have had 31 years [since the Supreme Court made abortion an individual right] to do something on this matter, but they've done nothing," he said.

Charles M. Wilson, director of the St. Joseph Foundation in San Antonio, which has filed numerous complaints in church courts across the country on behalf of Catholic laity, doubts the Boston Archdiocese will respond to the case.

The weak point of a "denunciation" suit, he said, is that the bishop need not take action. Usually a bishop will first investigate the case and determine whether the charges have substance, Mr. Wilson said, but Archbishop Sean O'Malley of Boston is under no obligation to prosecute the accused.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM       
THIS SHOULD EVEN THE ODDS OF FAHRENHEIT 9/11 :hat
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM       
I'm willing to bet this heresy is a lot more widespread than just John Kerry. I think it's time for an Inquisition. That really cleared out the heretics last time around, and it was great publicity for the church too.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:51 PM       
I kept reading it as "here-say" instead of "heresy"

Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:56 PM       
fucking republicans will stop and nothing to further their shabby little causes....
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM       
Catholic != Republican
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM       
Like timothy leary, I too hope someday to be prosecuted for my ideas and thoughts.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM       
Oh how the mighty have fallen! Trying to deflect denunciation has moved from enduring third (and forth?) degree burns while gasping your last breath in agonizing blasphemy to swatting at a large political fly. I'm not sure that I want Kerry to be my martyr, though ... and I'm not even catholic ... suprise!

Wherever you go, there you are.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM       
As a pro-life, democrat Catholic...

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:37 PM       
I think it's great that this fella has the time to charge Kerry with Heresy (hey, that almost rhymes!) for taking communion while being pro choice, and yet he was too busy to file Heresy charges against any of the priests who took communion while being pro forced sodomy with boys. I think it shows his priorities are straight.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM       
As bad as sodomy is, it doesn't end innocent lives. And the pedophile controversy is so 2002.

And if you want a technical answer, sodomy is a personal sin and as such is strictly the business of the sinner and his confessor, so it would be impossible to indict him on it. Things used to be different in that regard, but not since the 19th century if memory serves.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM       
You have to pick your religious battle wisely. What are the family and friends of an abused altar boy as compared to the constituency of a nation?

Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Catholic != Republican
cosmo = drinks too much
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM       
The question we should ask is, "Does John Kerry float on water?"
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Catholic != Republican
This is quite untrue. Catholics have consistently been Democratic voters throughout the years, with only a temporary shift in 1980 and 1984 (but even then, they tended to vote Democrat for local, state, and national elections). Gore won the Catholic vote in 2000.

While I agree with Seth on some things, I think this attack against Kerry and the Dems in Congress is partisan bullshit pushed by Rwpublicans who probably think Catholocism is a weird, flesh eating cult.

What about the Catholic Republicans in Congress who voted for the war in Iraq? What about the Catholic governors who allow their states to execute prisoners? The Bishops here in the United States have allowed themselves to become politicized, and they have essentially become the tools of Far-Right extremists who find them to be no more than "useful idiots."
Mocker

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
As bad as sodomy is, it doesn't end innocent lives. And the pedophile controversy is so 2002.

And if you want a technical answer, sodomy is a personal sin and as such is strictly the business of the sinner and his confessor, so it would be impossible to indict him on it. Things used to be different in that regard, but not since the 19th century if memory serves.
Depends on what you mean by "ending someone's life" and, in the secular sense, sodomy of a young boy is rape and I don't care what the evalutation of the church is on the matter. They are not above the law and I hate the way that the church has been able to manipulate it until recent times. Further, it's not so "2002" as they're are still a lot of ongoing cases and still a lot of church officials trying to weasel out of they're responsibility. To be honest, I don't like your cavalier attitude about the matter. Also, Kevin is right. The catholic church is trying to break the unwritten rule of "separation of church and state" by siding with and endorsing the new moral majority Republicans. In my view, this only further serves to further polarize me away from the republicans.

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:15 PM       
Pro-choice or not, I would much rather Kerry win than Bush. My elation for this situation was merely that Catholic politicians should indeed come to terms with their faith and actually live it, or else abandon using it publicly altogether. Basically, I think the democratic party is missing a pro-life corner. I'd be glad if that were to change. But if this issue ultimately costs Kerry the election, which I highly doubt, then my opinion would be vastly different.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM       
If Drudge can be trusted, Kerry's endorsement of Hillary as his running partner is going to lose him his election.

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
My elation for this situation was merely that Catholic politicians should indeed come to terms with their faith and actually live it, or else abandon using it publicly altogether. Basically, I think the democratic party is missing a pro-life corner.
You're absolutely correct, and this is a big reason why the Irish-Catholic vote has sort of become the "undeclared" electorate, and has contributed to the trend in independent votersand cross-over voting since the 1970s. The Democrats, under the machine system, knew where their bread was buttered. The catholic, labor types were their core. That changed in the 60s and 70s.

With all of that said, I just wish that these select few Catholics who have decided to venture into politics would be consistent. Condemn Kerry and Bush for where they drift from the Church's teachings. Go after the Republican Catholics in Congress who votedfor war and attack social service programs every chance they get, AND go after pro-choice Democrats, ya know?
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM       
<-- Has an Irish Catholic, solidly Democrat family.

Quote:
With all of that said, I just wish that these select few Catholics who have decided to venture into politics would be consistent. Condemn Kerry and Bush for where they drift from the Church's teachings. Go after the Republican Catholics in Congress who voted for war and attack social service programs every chance they get, AND go after pro-choice Democrats, ya know?
Well, like you said before, it's all partisan bullshit. I doubt any of this bellyaching is actually motivated by a deep concern for Catholic dogma.

Shouldn't some defender of the faith out in California be denouncing Governor Arnold right about now? Did anyone ever give Rudy Giuliani a tough time?
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM       
Damn, i wish we could get abortion out of political races!
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:43 PM       
Totally, since nobody cares about it and all.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT