Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADZOOKS
Shouldn't the beast of breast cancer have a rack?
If anything, he's a tumor. I'm pretty sure I would be chainsawed by the United Feminist Avenger Liasions League (U-FALL) if I drew a tumor with a hot rack.
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM       
do it for space moose
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM       

Ron (On Left): "Dammit, I still can't believe the democrats got the House and Senate."
Bill (On Right):"Aw, don't feel so bad, Ron."

Bill:"Look at it this way; the political etch-a-sketch is shaken clean. Soon, the democrats will draw all new crap on it, and America will cry out for Republican leadership."

Ron: "You think so?"
Bill: "Sure, and Newt Gingrich will fly in on a magical rainbow and give everyone tax cuts."

Shameless, debatable 'humor' pandering to a liberal college readership? Perhaps, but all that I really care about are deadlines and a nice looking strip.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus
but all that I really care about are deadlines and a nice looking strip.
you don't have to tell us
Ancient Mariner
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM       
Yes, unfortunately, I seem to have the nasty habit of making sure I fufill my responsibilities.
Ancient Mariner
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM       
Update.

Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM       
most of your strips, as mediocre as you know they are, are actually way better than the crap in my college's paper. That last one was sadly on-par.

ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM       
you left out a word in that first frame. how do you pronounce your first name?
Ancient Mariner
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM       
Whoops.

My name's the Welsh spelling of Reese.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM       
Great job
Ancient Mariner
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:43 AM       
Thank'ee
tenno is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM       

see, I see the monster is like signaling the knight too, "Come over here and look what I have to sell you." And the knight is clearly like, "Fuck you I'm going to kill you Cancer!" and the Cancer symbol is his lock-on and reason for living. Cause this is an EA game.

But i like the pic.
Ancient Mariner
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM       

GIF format-induced shittiness aside, Whadda y'all think so far?
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM       
Feces comes to mind!
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:41 PM       
I kinda like it.
Needs a dispencer here.
Noodles is probably a spambot
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM       
I like all of them... im sure some people out there are douting terrorists and blaming martians for 9/11. :/
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM       
This one's for a three part serial I'm doing for the paper.

Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM       
...And, I'm finally finished with the new Doogan.

Frame 1
Jeff: "Hello?"
Phone: "Hey, man, it's Bill. Did you get the gift?"
Jeff: "Uh, yeah. It's a real nice aquarium. Thanks."

Frame 2
Phone: "What about the snake?"

Frame 3
Jeff: "What snake?"
Phone: "Crap, did it get out? Don't worry, it isn't that big."

Why the fuck this one was difficult to do, I'll never know.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM       
i can't read such light print ;<
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM       
EDIT: Awright, I made some changes. The joke still sucks, but hopefully I helped it somewhat somewhat.
ineffable

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:39 AM       
i wish we had artists on our staff. do you have to write any at all?
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM       
As a cartoonist, no, but the three part serial I mentioned is a story I wrote. (Which I only did because the idea was whizzing around in my head, and refused to shut up.)

I asked the head editor to proofread it for me, and she asked me if she could run it in the paper. So while it's not my actual job, I can write if I want to (especially when an issue has a lot of unfilled space)
ineffable

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM       
do they assign you cartoons to draw? how often do you guys publish?

this year, we've only got eight on staff. last year was my first here, and last year's staff was used to doing nothing for a grade. so when i came in and insisted they get off their lazy butts or fail or get referred to the office, they bucked. needless to say, all but a few opted for other classes this year.

i'm working on building the staff for next year, but a big drawback for students is the amount of writing it requires. it would be nice to have a large-enough staff to have some students who are solely illustrators or photographers or graphic designers. maybe eventually.

it's a newsmagazine format, and we publish once per six weeks. (well, this year, they didn't get anything done while i was on maternity leave, so we've still got four issues to put out...advertisers, you know...)

sorry to go on and on, but it's on my mind atm.
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM       
Well, as for my cartoon, I have complete creative control (as long as it's not obscene or ridiculously offensive). My only actual job is to have a cartoon done by deadline. Of course, I love drawing for the paper, so I'll always do illustrations and what not if they need it. As far as I'm concerned, what I need to be doing right now is commission work. It's not like any real paper will let me draw for them right now, so I might as well bust my ass for the college paper while I have the chance.

As for publishing, we do one to two issues per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
this year, we've only got eight on staff. last year was my first here, and last year's staff was used to doing nothing for a grade. so when i came in and insisted they get off their lazy butts or fail or get referred to the office, they bucked. needless to say, all but a few opted for other classes this year.
Heh. You teach a high school class, right? I first joined journalism my Junior year, and the class was awesome. It was chock full of every person that I would want to hang out with, the editors were damned good, everyone was enthusiastic, and the advisor was pretty relaxed (until I single handedly enraged the entire Associated Student Body, but that's a long story).

Then my senior year, I was going to take a web design class, until the journalism advisor (also a good friend of mine) called me up and basically ordered me to sign up for another year in journalism. Only two people had re-enrolled and the rest of the class was filled with lazyass freshmen. So, I basically ended up as staffer/writer/business manager/associate editor for a paper where I had to harrangue the freshmen until they wrote something. It sucked.

You'll have good years and bad years, the only advice I can really give is to actively recruit tough editors, so you're not fielding everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
i'm working on building the staff for next year, but a big drawback for students is the amount of writing it requires. it would be nice to have a large-enough staff to have some students who are solely illustrators or photographers or graphic designers. maybe eventually.

it's a newsmagazine format, and we publish once per six weeks. (well, this year, they didn't get anything done while i was on maternity leave, so we've still got four issues to put out...advertisers, you know...)

sorry to go on and on, but it's on my mind atm.
You know, I need commission work and experience. If you need an illustrator, I'd be more than happy to work for you in exchange for the resume filler that I desperately need (info about the paper and school, maybe listing you as a reference, etc).
ineffable

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM       
that sounds like a plan. i'll talk with my editors and see what they think.

yes, it's high school. i advised a small newspaper at my former school for about five years, and ended up advising the yearbook also the last two. i'd taught the kids on staff since they were freshmen, though, so they knew me and what i expected, what i'd put up with and all. i had a reputation, so to speak. i guess you could say i'm gaining the same at my new school, but i know it takes time.

finding students who are responsible and capable is hard enough; finding students who are able to motivate others to be seems almost impossible. i don't guess i'm even really great at the cheerleading part of teaching/advising, especially when someone is just-plain-lazy or has a bad attitude. that brings out the hard arse in me.