Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM        I need a decision
All the stuff people posted in my "scary crap in games" thread made me want to get a horror game for the PSX, but I can't decide between Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

Which one should I get?

(Also if there are any better horror titles for the PSX (or N64), feel free to post them.)
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:08 PM       
Silent Hill.

Lye is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM       
resident evil
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:49 PM       
Silent Hill.

It's better.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:30 PM       
Silent hill, there's no reason to get the original Resident Evil for the PS1 since it was remade for the Gamecube.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM       
I'm an RE die hard but I know when theres a better game out there and thats.

Silent Hill buy it now!
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM       
RE
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM       
Resident
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:47 AM       
The new Silent Evil: Resident Hill. It a cross between the two games, where all you do is shoot zombies and dead things while trying to find the antidote to your dead daughters zombieitus.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM       
I say Silent Hill. Though I have not played the first in the series, that one sounds better than the original RE. The remake of that game is superior, and Silent Hill is a mind fuck as well as a creepy game.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:32 AM       
Thanks guys, I'll get Silent Hill. :D

And RE4 when I save up enough money.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM       
I'm under the impression both games have Tank controls.

So either way, it's gonna suck. But I at least hear that Silent Hill has a more compelling mystery.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:05 PM       
christ those controls drove me insane, especially during bossfights. It still makes me wonder about Resident evil, why they had such poor ontrolls for a game that required and flight more often than fight.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM       
I always thought the controls were like that to give off the feeling of uncertainity to make the game seem scarier.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM       
I always thought the controls were like that to give off the feeling of uncertainity to make the game seem scarier.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM       
wooden acting in horror films = wooden controls maybe?

Mocker

James sucks
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas
Bad control doesn't equal a scary game. Just frustrating gameplay. My first experience with an RE game was a demo of RE2 at EBGames. I died ont he second screen because I kept wobbling my way right into zombies, because turning was such a bitch.

If it was the intended purpose to do that to make the game scarier, it's probably one of the stupidest concepts to grace the video game industry. It just made the game boring.

Thank God the N64 version let you change the controls. Hey, there's your answer! Buy a bargain bin copy of RE2 for the N64.
Now with less sodium!

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:50 PM       
I'm not sure about the first Silent Hill game, but I know that SH2 let you change the controlls to standard thirp person controls, much like Devil May Cry in that you couldn't control where the camera was, but forward always meant away from the screen and such.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM       
Son of a bitch, now I'm more confused than ever.

I've played RE2 before and would've loved it had it not been for the shitty interface, but if it's on the N64 with changable controls then the PSX Resident Evils can go to hell a thousand times over and take their grainy non-expansion pak graphics and crap controls with them.

Of course, I've been told RE2 isn't very scary, and if it's just a bunch of Zombies and shit jumping out from behind walls (which I assume it is, from what I've seen of it), with nothing really creepy like the feeling of something really big and evil constantly stalking you and not being able to see it, then I'd rather get Silent Hill and sacrifice RE2's controls, which might still be crap, even with the ability to change them around.

Mabye I should just get RE4 for the Gamecube and fuck the whole damn thing.
Now with less sodium!

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM       
RE4 is definitely a good choice, but like I said, if SH1 is anything like 2, then you can change the controls to make it much better. Plus, the camera angles aren't all crap like the old RE games.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM       
maybe you guys should grows some balls...or cunt hairs maybe? I don't know, I guess it depends. but then, cunt hairs aren't really the same as balls. grow a clit?

anyway, grow some whatevers and learn to handle your controllers, punks.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM       
Ok, is there anyone who has actually played the original Silent Hill and knows what the control scheme is like, and can tell me if it is or isn't complete crap so that I won't waste money on a game I'm not gonna be able to play? Thanks.

And by "played" I DO NOT mean "read about" or "watched a trailer for" or "pretended to have played so I can post in this topic and make people think I'm cool" and by "the original Silent Hill" I DO NOT mean "Silent Hill 2" or "Silent Hill 3" or "Silent Hill 4." (That means you Immortal Goat.)
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:32 PM       
It has tank control but the game isn't about gameplay it's about atmosphere, if you want to play a scary game than stop bitching about the controls because all good horror games have tank controls.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:42 PM       
Yeah but what I want to know is if the game is at least playable. I know it must be to a certain extent, seeing as so many people like it, but is it at least better than something like Advent Rising or Crystal Chronicals?
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM       
Yeah it's playable, sure you wont be running across walls Jackie Chan style or doing moonsaults over zombies heads while firing off duel magnums but its fully playable. The tank controls take some getting use to but they don't hinder the game at all, like I said, it's all about atmosphere.