Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lethal fresco
Blasted Child is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM        Nobel prize winner Harold Pinter's speech
I wasn't sure whether this had been discussed since I wasn't able to use the search function.

It struck me that practically nowhere on the web is Pinter's speech discussed. Much of this is due to most newspapers' and networks' decision to censor it. I'm not sure whether Pinter even is mentioned in the USA, but I do know that most bigger networks are carefully avoiding the subject.

A link to the speech:
http://nobelprize.org/literature/lau...lecture-e.html

Basically, I want your opinions in this. Are most americans aware of the atrocities in Nicaragua and Chile?

I don't want to start a political debate about the pros or cons with whichever political system, rather about censorship, awareness and if people give a f*ck about who this Harold Pinter is.

Also, hey, I'm new here.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM       
Harold Pinter is my favorite playwrite, probably my favorite writer. I found his speech, which I read and saw on the web provocative, pointed and brilliant, like pretty much everything he does. I was very, very glad to see him win the nobel.

I think most politically aware Americans of my age (43) or older are familiar with our actions in South and Central America during the Nixon years. That being said, lots of Americans choose not to be politically aware , and younger Americans may not know of it at all. Ther is a general and disturbing trend to think of past awful and unlawful things various administrations have committed as being distant past and the sort of thing we've grown out of, as opposed to being an ongoing trend. Personally, I think W makes Nixon look Quaint, but thats just my perspective. Also, there is a vocal minority that insists being critical of Americas foreign policy means you hate America.

Rest assured that although we may not get the media coverage we'd like, there are many, many Americans (perhaps as many as half of us) who basically agree with Pinter, although we find it hard to endorse such thoughts when they spring from the mouth of a foreigner.